Voigtlander APO-Skopar 90/f2.8 VM

I think Scott said the first batch to Australia was 7 copies, so 2 to Tas (or more?) is a good result. I will be interested to see how it compares with my Tele-Elmarit ‘thin’, not so much optically, but in ergonomics and haptics…

I saw Scott yesterday, to pick up my own copy. He said he had sold 5 copies to Tasmania. That must make Tas the highest per capita ownership of any state in the world.

Here it is!

Some quick and dirty first impressions (samples and shooting impressions to come)...

Fit and finish: Very nice, as per all of Voigtlander's recent offerings.

Size: Teeny tiny! Almost identical dimensions to the 'fat' 90mm Tele Elmarit, although the APO-Skopar is noticeably lighter.

Focus: Very smooth and relatively light. Focus throw seems about right.

Aperture: Perfectly round at f4. Slight inward-facing from f5 - f8. Circular with straight blades from f9 - f16. Half stops throughout. Aperture ring feels nice.

Hood: Nicely made bayonet type. Included with lens rather than purchased separately. Reversible which I love (I often don't use hoods because they take up too much room in the bag). Bayonet isn't spring-loaded like the 35/f2 Ultron hood.

VF blockage (without hood): None.

VF blockage (with hood): None at infinity. A little bit at minimum focus.

Here is it on my M2 :)

Looks beautiful, small, practical and light. I think I will have to get one. Always loved the 1st Elmarit (nice vintage look on photos) and the best thing it was light but sold it to get a Summicron 90 - however I do miss the smaller and lighter Elmarit. I have the CV21/4, 35/2.5 and this 90 will be a perfect match for my setup.

Some samples comparing the Leica 90/f2.8 Tele Elmarit and Voigtlander 90/f2.8 APO-Skopar on the Z6.

Hand-held, nothing fancy. WB and sharpening are synced for the two lenses.

T-E f2.8

APO f2.8

T-E f8

APO f8

The CV90/2.8 APO obviously the sharper lens, but not too sharp. Better flare control too with the APO very apparent in the cetre of the Tele Elmarit.

Interesting that I see some of that heavier mid tone contrast characteristic of the 35mm ultron f2 in these examples too - especially when compared to the leica 90. Looks like a lovely lens.

Has anyone tried the Nikon mount version? I assume it would be the same performance, but I haven’t heard anything about it.

90mm lens' for Leica M are not popular. I sold a 80mm Tele-Elmarit (last model made) in mint condition with box & papers for $800 and I was happy to get it. Tried for years to sell it. I also have 2 older Tele-Elmarits that are excellent lenses I paid $100 for one a few years ago and just bought another one for $200. Both from forum members. Not sure why I buy them I rarely use that focal length. Cheapest lens ( well maybe the 135mm is cheaper) you can buy that says Leica. Performance is excellent and I really doubt the VC will be much better. Maybe to pixel peepers. But people will them because they are VC and new. Then rave about them to justify their purchase. I predict in a year or two you'll see a rash of them for sale used.

Performance is excellent and I really doubt the VC will be much better. Maybe to pixel peepers. But people will them because they are VC and new. Then rave about them to justify their purchase. I predict in a year or two you'll see a rash of them for sale used.

Hmmm I don't know about that. I owned the 90/f2.8 T-E (fat version) for ~7-8 yrs before buying the APO-Skopar. I've always liked shooting a 35mm/90mm kit with my M2.

Once the APO arrived I had the opportunity to use them side-by-side and keep the one I preferred. Resale on the two lenses was about the same in Oz, so no loss either way.

I sold the Leica. The APO is simply a much better lens (as it should be considering it's half a century newer...)

Back