Voigtlander Heliar Classic 50mm f1.5

Local time
7:48 PM
One of the first shots by me with the new lens.

gelatin silver print (heliar classic 50mm f1.5) leica mp

Erik.

51686958495_10d69095bb_b.jpg

Thanks! No focus shift. The only thing is some barrel vault distortion. It is not a lens for architecture. I think it is great for portraits and nudes. The shot above is @ f1.5.

Erik.

Ah, finally a thread about this lens. Thanks for starting one, Erik. And nice first shot. The only thing that has more character than the lens is the snakeskin tabletop. I am looking forward to seeing more examples, especially on film.

These are all from a Sony FF with the Heliar 50/1.5. SOOC Jpg files.

Attachments

• photo111188.jpg
    photo111188.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 15
  • photo111189.jpg
    photo111189.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 15
  • photo111190.jpg
    photo111190.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 14
Nice rendering on film Erik. Is this the version called "1.5 Heliar Classic VM" ? I'm sometimes confused among the various versions of the VC lenses!

Thanks everyone. No, it is called Heliar Classic 50mm f1.5. I will try to make another print tonight. The snakeskin is real, that is, real plastic!

BWF, nice shots. For this kind of pictures the lens is perfect.

Erik.

Yes, I have to experiment still a bit, I also want to see the effect in sharp electric lightning. I see lots of spherical aberration, as espected. I guess that the lens at full aperture is at its best for portraits.

Erik.

As always Erik, lovely images. Do you find the lens to be lower contrast? It seems from the literature that Voigtlander was striving for the vintage/classic look, so I wonder if you find it rendering lower contrast.

Also, looking at the image above, the stanchion with the little arm and the DaVinci figure in the white circle, how that is rendered very softly, reminds me of the way the Nikkor-SC 5cm f1.4 rangefinder lens renders the corners when shot wide open.

Best,
-Tim

Back