Voigtlander L - Sticky back????

ARCHIVIST

Well-known
Local time
8:27 AM
I have been considering a Voigtlander Bessa L but have come across many that have been described as having sticky rear covering on the back.

Can anyone enlighten me please about this problem and is it inevitable to occur?

Cheers
Peter

It has to occur.
You can rub off all sticky stuff with alcohol (its a fault of design - the rubber is too soft).

I found alcohol followed up by thick baking soda paste to be highly effective in cleaning up the sticky rubber coating.

Pre-injection swabs are the little alcohol soaked wipes they rub on your skin before injections or taking blood samples etc.

It is essentailly isopropyl alcohol. Get them from pharmacies, beauty salons etc. They are cheap as chips.

Yes, it is inevitable to occur. The rubber degrades with the time. There are several more and less elegant/permament solutions or workaround for this - I posted my fix some months ago as well. I assume it depends on the age of your camera - in my case isopropyl was only a temporary fix. What it does it removes a thin layer of rubber.

You are anyway lucky - there are two inevitable things which will happen to CV Bessas - the second one is misaligned rangefinder (absent in Bessa L) ;)

Pre-injection swabs are the little alcohol soaked wipes they rub on your skin before injections or taking blood samples etc.

It is essentailly isopropyl alcohol. Get them from pharmacies, beauty salons etc. They are cheap as chips.

Thanks Archivist. Maybe I can just remove the whole rubber thing and make something up out of wood, leather? Ideas, ideas...

Back