Voitlander 28/2, Zeiss Biogon 28/2.8, CV 28/3.5? What 28mm lens for CLE?

IgalSc

Established
Local time
3:19 PM
I know, there were threads about it already
None of them is unfortunately recent.
I’d love to have the Minolta 28/2.8 lens, but I’m not sure I can actually find a clean one these days.
I love shooting street, and I love doing it in low light as well.
What lens would you recommend today?

Thanks ahead
Igal

I can’t speak for the others, but I’ve been using the VM 28/f2 on my M2 for several years (and recently a Z6) and have absolutely no complaints. Fast, wonderful rendering, well made and great handling. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

The Ultron 28mm f2 VM is built to last forever and… it has the coveted focusing tab! Image quality is outstanding as well.

All the best,
Mike

I recently got the CLE and I have the Zeiss 28mm F2.8.

Just the heads up that if you use the circular lens hood, it blocks the rangefinder patch on the CLE. Not 100% blockage, and it moves depending on focus distance, so you can make it work. But it's not ideal.

I also recently picked up an Elmarit (latest generation with the current lens hood), and that doesn't have the same issue. But obviously it's a far more pricey lens, and not one
I necessarily find is "better" than the Zeiss. Still, for now it's on the CLE due to the rangefinder patch blockage issue.

Haven't tried the Voigtlanders on the CLE -- the F3.5 is certainly interesting, but if you like low light street shooting, F2.0 is F2.0...

Many years ago, before I got sick and had to sell off my Leica gear, I had the Zeiss 28mm f2.8. In the last year or so, I have been rebuilding my gear and I bought the Voigtlander 28mm f3.5 because I can use it on my screwmount Leicas and my M3.

The Zeiss lens is incredibly sharp, but like all the ZM lenses I have used it is too contrasty for my liking, and it vignetted a lot even stopped down (sides were darker than the middle).

The Voigtlander 28/3.5 is sharp but not bitingly sharp like the Zeiss, but has nicer tonal rendering and less vignetting.

These were shot with the Voigtlander 28/3.5:

todds-townley-tavern.jpg

Tmax 400 developed (N-1) in D-76 1+1

azars-waynedale.jpg

6-19-20-bobo.jpg

PB0800277-2.jpg

Tmax 400 developed normally in D-76 1+1

Some samples with the Zeiss 2.8/28:

Saigon - Zeiss-Ikon ZM - Zeiss Biogon 2.8/28 - Fujicolor 100

Vung Tau - Leica M7 - Zeiss Biogon 2.8/28 - Kodakcolor 200

Saigon - Epson R-D1s - Zeiss Biogon 2.8/28

Geneva - Leica M-E - Zeiss Biogon 2.8/28

Heerenveen - Epson R-D1s - Zeiss Biogon 2.8/28

Saigon - Epson R-D1 - Zeiss Biogon 2.8/28

Saigon - Zeiss-Ikon ZM - Zeiss Biogon 2.8/28 - Ifinity Super Uxi 100.

I would be very careful buying a second-hand Zeiss Biogon because of the 'wobble' issue. Cheers, OtL

Though I'd probably choose the Ultron (or Elmarit ASPH), I think you'd be remiss to exclude the MS Optics Apoqualia 28mm f/2. I'm sure it lacks in performance and build quality, but it's so interesting! And tiny! A third version of the lens recently came out.

I think the CV 28 3.5 would be nicest size-wise for the small CLE. But if you want speed, buy speed. I'd also consider the Ultron 28 1.9 (ltm), but watch out for haze. I have it and find it very good. Mechanically not the soundest construction but also more affordable, usable on ltm cameras and IMHO better looking than the 28 2.0.

To each his own. I don't think the Elmarit outperforms the Zeiss, and it costs more than twice as much.
I think you'd be remiss to exclude the MS Optics Apoqualia 28mm f/2.
Because it's tiny or gimmicky? The sample pics I've seen so far, are all very soft. Cheers, OtL

I had the Elmarit vs.3 28/2.8 (twice), Ultron 28/2.0, Zeiss 28/2.8, Rokkor 28/2.8, CV 28/3.5 (S-mount), and replaced all of them with the Hexanon-M 28/2.8. It is a rather large lens, might block the VF?

If you go with a LTM 28mm put a 35mm adapter ring on it and you will only get the 28mm framelines.

As an alternate the Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 lens is a wonderful fit on the CLE. And the 28mm framelines are *very* close to a 100% 35mm frame. I use the LTM 35 f2.5 pancake on mine.

Shawn

I owned the CV 28/2 very briefly and later the 28/3.5 .. I liked the 3.5 much much more. I can't really say why.
I also had the Elmarit V3 for a good while. Big but somehow special.
I only have a snapshot 25mm with external finder now - makes more sense to me

The ZM 28 is a heavier, bigger and high-contrast lens that might not suit a CLE or the film you’re intending to shoot. I own the CV 3,5/28 and with the hood is barely larger than a body cap. As mentioned before, great tonal range for B&W. If you can find one and the 1/2 stop loss is acceptable, that’d be a choice match for a CLE. But also mentioned above is the MS Optic 28/2. Truly a body cap and pretty sharp by f/4. It isn’t cheap and runs about $700 less than an Elmarit ASPH v1. Miyazaki san recently released a body-cap sized 24/2 as well if wider is acceptable.

I can’t speak for the others, but I’ve been using the VM 28/f2 on my M2 for several years (and recently a Z6) and have absolutely no complaints. Fast, wonderful rendering, well made and great handling. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.
The Ultron 28mm f2 VM is built to last forever and… it has the coveted focusing tab! Image quality is outstanding as well.
All the best,
Mike
Thanks!
I recently got the CLE and I have the Zeiss 28mm F2.8.
Just the heads up that if you use the circular lens hood, it blocks the rangefinder patch on the CLE. Not 100% blockage, and it moves depending on focus distance, so you can make it work. But it's not ideal.
I know it's big :(
These were shot with the Voigtlander 28/3.5
these are very nice photos you posted here. How do you focus with the LTM on the M-mount? Does the adapter still allow for precise focusing?
nickthetasmaniac said:
Here's some 'street' shots with the VM 28/f2 on my M2.
These are really nice as well, I'm only not sure regarding the size of the VM on the CLE - would it not block the viewfinder/rangefinder patch?
Some samples with the Zeiss 2.8/28
These are so cool, thanks
keytarjunkie said:
I think you'd be remiss to exclude the MS Optics Apoqualia 28mm f/2
Thanks, I'll take a look into it, although the tiny size is not a decisive point
retinax said:
I'd also consider the Ultron 28 1.9 (ltm), but watch out for haze
Thank you, I'll take a look at them as well
It is a rather large lens, might block the VF?
It looks like it's bigger than the Zeiss
shawn said:
If you go with a LTM 28mm put a 35mm adapter ring on it and you will only get the 28mm framelines.
As an alternate the Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 lens is a wonderful fit on the CLE
thanks for the tip! 35mm is too close to the 40mm I already have
k__43 said:
I owned the CV 28/2 very briefly and later the 28/3.5 .. I liked the 3.5 much much more. I can't really say why
Thanks!
james.liam said:
I own the CV 3,5/28 and with the hood is barely larger than a body cap. As mentioned before, great tonal range for B&W. If you can find one and the 1/2 stop loss is acceptable, that’d be a choice match for a CLE
Thank you!

these are very nice photos you posted here. How do you focus with the LTM on the M-mount? Does the adapter still allow for precise focusing?

I have mine with a 28-90 Leitz adapter on an M9M. No problems whatsoever. The Voigtländer adapter is equally well-made and accurate. Can't speak for the multiplicity of Mainland Chinese knockoffs, but I personally avoid them.

Low light on the streets of Toronto (those are dark streets) on bw film @3200 is 1/8 for f2.5/2.8. Even Yonge, King, Queen in DT are dark streets.

Color Skopar is way too overpriced now due to its rarity. You could get Canon 28 3.5 or 2.8 for less to have good results. Those lenses served GW for years.

ZM 28 2.8 ain't in the low price range as well. I mean, price/results ratio might be not so good under low light.

VM 28/2 seems to be priced more well adequate and it is closer to low light, but still no cigar, IMO.

Here is TTartisans 28 1.4. This is low light lens and results I have seen on BW films are impressive. And so its cost. Just not sure if its diameter will not block RF, framelines windows on CLE. It should be relatively easy to check without lens, but with CLE in possession.

To be honest, I would just get used Nokton 40 1.4 for low light and Orion-15 for close street work. Might be in the same price for both at single lens price from OP list.
Compact duo to match CLE.

And during Covid you are better with 40mm range for now. 28 will bring you too close, if you want decent street picture, not architectural shot, which Toronto downtown lost its charm for... Canada is about to be one of the last counties to get vaccines for regular citizens, BTW. It looks like we would have to keep distance for another year or so in Toronto.

28mm with Orion-15. At Union.

Three meters, maybe more and obviously I wasn't close enough.

I don't think it is cool to get too close to people at this moment. Many are wearing masks on the streets in Toronto DT. And you never know why...

Back