Voitlander 28/2, Zeiss Biogon 28/2.8, CV 28/3.5? What 28mm lens for CLE?

Given the infamous white dots in the Minolta 28, for wide angle I use instead the Zeiss 25 2,8.
It brings the 28 frame and I use the whole viewfinder

If I'd be buying a M-Rokkor I'd make sure it has been cleaned and inner wall of the lens barrel sealed with a different material. Otherwise white spots will inevitably show up given time.

It really is a top performer. Guess nothing can be perfect...

FWIW, I picked up the M-Rokkor in October for my CLE, and it's 100% free of white spots. Cost was $368USD. I'd had a watchlist for the 28mm for probably about 2 years now, and snapped it up as soon as it was listed. So, they're out there.

I have owned both the Voigtlander "CV" 28mm f/2 (I own currently) and Zeiss Biogon 28mm f/2.8, just not at the same time. IMHO, the Ziess is superior stop-to-stop both in color saturation and sharpness. But the slightly wider 25mm Zeiss Biogon is even better.

The CV is a good lens for the money, but not "superb." I currently have it in my stable because it's good enough for a ~2% use lens; the 28mm FL is rarely by preference.

FWIW, I picked up the M-Rokkor in October for my CLE, and it's 100% free of white spots. Cost was $368USD. I'd had a watchlist for the 28mm for probably about 2 years now, and snapped it up as soon as it was listed. So, they're out there.

thanks, i'm watching eBay for these too

I have owned both the Voigtlander "CV" 28mm f/2 (I own currently) and Zeiss Biogon 28mm f/2.8, just not at the same time. IMHO, the Ziess is superior stop-to-stop both in color saturation and sharpness. But the slightly wider 25mm Zeiss Biogon is even better.

The CV is a good lens for the money, but not "superb." I currently have it in my stable because it's good enough for a ~2% use lens; the 28mm FL is rarely by preference.
Thank you

Low light on the streets of Toronto (those are dark streets) on bw film @3200 is 1/8 for f2.5/2.8. Even Yonge, King, Queen in DT are dark streets.

I just came back from Unionville, Main St, all lit up. Canon L, Canon 50/1.4, shot T-Max 3200 pushed to 12800 1/30s@f/2.8

Our streets here are very dark indeed

I like the images from the 28/3.5 better resolved and more contrasty than those of the faster 28 VC lenses, but it boils down to how you feel about f/stops.

Back