W/NW: Bicycles

DSCF1589.JPG

Fujifilm X-pro3 , Fujinon 35mm f1.4 lens
Astia film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - January, 2021

This Huffy Storm 18-speed bike appeared mysteriously and remained leaning against this vacant house for most of a year, then as mysteriously it disappeared.
U77I1609911865.SEQ.2.jpg

Pentax K-1, 1.9/43mm SMC Pentax

This Huffy Storm 18-speed bike appeared mysteriously and remained leaning against this vacant house for most of a year, then as mysteriously it disappeared.

It's amazing how many abandoned bikes there are scattered about. In some areas, the police eventually remove them before they get scavenged for parts or slowly rust away. In other towns, they sit indefinitely waiting for an owner that never comes.

These two were here at this train station for awhile, and in fact the one on the right wasn't even locked. I thought about taking it and fixing it up, since it didn't look to be in too awful of condition. I decided to think about it for another week... Then it disappeared. It is probably scrap metal by now.

1L5GgU.jpg

Other abandoned bikes wind up eyesores, like this one:

oqmXUp.jpg

I'm getting back into bikes after being away for a while. I'm finding out that "gravel bikes" are a thing -- but I'm not really sure what they are. Didn't these used to be called hybrid bikes, albeit now with fatter tires?

Great picture, by the way, though I'm more a fan of the classic '60s-'70s machines (which you can figure, based on my age). I understand these are now called "Eroica" bikes (NB not "erotica," but whatever floats your boat).

I'm getting back into bikes after being away for a while. I'm finding out that "gravel bikes" are a thing -- but I'm not really sure what they are. Didn't these used to be called hybrid bikes, albeit now with fatter tires?

I hadn't heard of gravel bikes either until recently when I joined the bikeforums.net forum. Apparently they are more like road bikes with wider, more durable tires and they have drop-style bars, unlike hybrid bikes which have flat bars (and, ironically, wider more durable tires also). It's very confusing! Apparently, on that forum it is a major faux-pas to ride the wrong bike in the wrong application (and I thought Leica photographers were particular!).

I hadn't heard of gravel bikes either until recently when I joined the bikeforums.net forum. Apparently they are more like road bikes with wider, more durable tires and they have drop-style bars, unlike hybrid bikes which have flat bars (and, ironically, wider more durable tires also). It's very confusing! Apparently, on that forum it is a major faux-pas to ride the wrong bike in the wrong application (and I thought Leica photographers were particular!).

LOL! I see that hasn't changed -- "serious" cyclists have always been pretty snobbish about gear and apparel. Make the Leica folks seem tame by comparison.

50940126232_4c49460f19_b.jpg

Selfie - Japan town, San Jose 2021
Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Special

I cycle down to Japan town fairly often and usually take my lunch while sitting on the World War II Japanese Memorial "bench" there.

For a support when making this selfie, I used a bit of Silly Putty and my bicycle helmet. :)
The bicycle is my beloved Salsa Beargrease custom build... I've put more miles on it in the past year than on both my car and my motorcycle combined.

G

1984 Holdsworth Elan Refurb by Chris Livsey, on Flickr

My 1984 Holdsworth Elan needed some light touch changes to move it forward a few years in response to the pandemic and lockdowns.

A tyre swop to Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Folding Road Tyres was in order at 25mm but running a lower pressure for comfort although that seems to be “on trend”. Isn't the smell of new rubber markedly different to the perished stuff? The wheels are Mavic originals and are in great condition a tribute to their quality build. New seat stem from Cinelli to replace the Japanese heavy lump and in black to match the bar tape upgrade to Fizik - Tempo Microtex Bondcush Classic and the Fizik saddle, Antares R3. Pedals from the toe clip to Shimano combination, all-purpose. Massive chain and mechanism clean moving to Muc-Off dry weather lube with a last touch, a black, modern, lightweight bottle cage from Topeak.

The frame, Reynolds 531, has age scratches and marks but I tell myself they add character and thus avoid a re-spray.

The groupset from new is a right mix, down tube shifters and both front and rear changers are Campangalo whilst the cassette and rings are Shimano, brakes by Weinmann which at the time were very popular in this class of bicycle, Weinmann ceased trading in the early 90’s. Holdsworth were the UK importers until about 1981 I think.

Not a huge pot of money spent but that’s about it without going to the considerable expense of changing the whole groupset and that cost is ridiculous. The makers can obviously source a 105 set for a fraction of the cost I can although the brakes from the 105 set are a possible, classic as those Weinmanns are it’s a bit like running a car on brake drums and not discs.

Since then I have reduced the reach, apparently my aero position is not what it was and she is more comfortable for "pottering" now.

1991 Bridgestone MB-3

1991 Bridgestone MB-3

51206834980_c9254da684_k.jpg

A good excuse, I was helping a friend sell a recumbent on Craigslist when I stumbled on this like new 1991 MB-3 at a price I couldn't resist! It really looks and feels like it has barely 10 miles on it.

I loved these when they came out but opting for a Cannondale, I eventually turned that in to my Tour de local Breweries bike. Until now! The tires shown here are Rene Hearse (were Compass, and likely made by Panaracer). I changed out the handlebar, stem and seat to accomodate the Carradice Barley.

It rides and handles beautifully.

David

Great picture, by the way, though I'm more a fan of the classic '60s-'70s machines (which you can figure, based on my age). I understand these are now called "Eroica" bikes (NB not "erotica," but whatever floats your boat).

Thanks KoNickon, just saw your comments after all these months. Here is a photo of my gravel bike which by the way I ride on all kinds of roads. It is far more comfortable and not noticeably slower than my road bike. I will be 76 this month and while liking and owning bikes from the last century ;), I really appreciate the benefits of the new bikes.

51219662842_00f7ffd995_h.jpg
[/url]Trans Canada Trail Ride by Dave Snasdell-Taylor, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back