W/NW : Motorcycles

You've got to see this custom honda. (Not my photo, so click on the link.)

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=113652.0;attach=200690;image

I'ts been "Bobbed" and would currently be advertised, if for sale as a "Bobber".

In times past, this would be also called a "Cafe Racer" and quite literally in Polite European society valiant riders would jump astride their "Cafe Racers" and race from coffee shop to cafe, and vice versa on a pre determined route of such stops. Latte or espresso was optional.

Bobbing has become the practice of cutting away certain parts of the motorcylce to make seats and fenders smaller, Cafe style clip handlebars mounted on low on the front forks and a crouch forward style of riding that did no good for your lower back and cartilage between your vertabrae.

The common problem with this "between cafes and coffee shop" style of racing was you could not get food or drinks to go, nor could you safely eat or drink "on the fly".

Sem, Great photographs. The second bike mystifies me. I can't identify it. Are these bikes you just came across parked around town?

Ted

Hi Ted,
thanks for your kind words.
The second is a MZ, built in the old GDR.
Just walking around by visiting Berlin. Lots of them there. I like the city very much for taking pictures. But to seldom there.
Best Sem

Thanks for the information, Sem. I once rode an MuZ 500cc single-cylinder race bike. Quite a thrill. But perhaps not the same company?

Regards,

Ted

Sem, Great photographs. The second bike mystifies me. I can't identify it. Are these bikes you just came across parked around town?

Ted

Its an East German MZ ETZ 250, I had one from 1988 till 1998 a super little bike, very reliable and nice to ride. The Scooter is a Simson 50cc Schwalbe ,(Swallow ) also East German amd a bit of a cult thing in Germany.:rolleyes:

from my last trip to Havana a few weeks ago:

LAMA-gathering.jpg

My old Ducati 250 ...

My old Ducati 250 ...

Sold this Ducati 250 Mark III, which I'd owned for 25 years, to a friend about a decade or so ago. He passed it to another friend a few years ago, who completed the restoration, converted it to the Mach 1 specification, and has it running nicely now.

I ran into TJ at the recent "All Italian Day" car and motorcycle show in Alameda, CA and snapped these two:

Voigtländer Bessa III, Neopan ACROS 100

Thanks, first Zundapp I've ever seen. What a beast! Looks like it loves bad roads.

Thought some might enjoy the older styled customs that come
through out shop.Was actually expecting a lot more grain from the Ilford 3200.
U41336I1351914496.SEQ.0.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Zundapp. Thanks for the 3rd wheel info. There are two Urals in town with sidecars and one has 3rd wheel drive. Quite handy out here in rugged desert terrain.

Ted

Back