W/NW - Photos taken on the street

It's cold out, a bit windy too... retirees don't care! Just give us a cup of coffee and a place to sit, we'll be fine.

DSCF1038.JPG

Fujifilm X-H1
Fujinon XF 90mm f2 R WR lens
Classic Chrome film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - March 2021

All the best,
Mike

The Tri-Cities is the fourth largest metropolitan region in Washington State. Like most American cities, our postwar development pattern has been exclusively car-oriented suburban sprawl. Most modern urban planning experts point out that this form of development isn't financially sustainable, as low density exclusionary zoning on large lots mostly comprised of parking lots and grass 1/4 - 1 acre lawns does not draw enough revenue in property taxes to service the cost of the road maintenance that service them, let alone all other utilities. Most local planning authorities are not aware of and do not account for the true costs of sprawl, as tract house developers pay for the initial implementation of infrastructure, so the planning boards think they're getting something for free, only to be left holding the bag 30-40 years later when roads, pipes, telecom and electricity lines need to be replaced. The only way to pay for it is to build more sprawl, pushing the city deeper into debt. Charles Marohn calls this the Growth Ponzi Scheme.

Vista Field was the site of an airport in Kennewick that since 2013 has been decommissioned. Andrés Duany of Duany Plater-Zyberk was brought in to lead the design of a new district on the site according to New Urbanist principles. 2020 saw much of the road construction for the first phase of seven. This view is from the south, where it will join W. Deschutes Blvd. Vista Field is owned by the Port of Kennewick, who is one of the more forward-thinking offices of our local government. This will hopefully serve as an example of economic development, human-centered design and fiscal sustainability in our rapidly-growing hamlet. Plots in the phase one zone are set to go up for sale this spring. The roads have yet to open to the public, so I took this just behind the barricades on a Sunday afternoon.

Fuji GA645
Ilford FP4+ at ASA 50, developed normally in TMAX
Kennewick, Washington

Summer 2020

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kKFoui]Untitled by Pierre Saget, on Flickr[/URL]

Maybe walking around with a big "L" on your chest isn't the best advertisement. What is she telling him with her left hand? *click the image to enlarge.

DSCF1110.JPG

Fujifilm X-H1
Fujinon XF 90mm f2 R WR lens
Classic Chrome film simulation

All the best,
Mike

Thanks for sharing, Judge Holden! I think you'll find this channel interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOdQsZa15o Cheers, OtL

Thank you, OtL. I discovered Not Just Bikes just this January and I find it extremely edifying. One of the features in our Vista Field district will be that some of the streets will be woonerfs, though obviously not the street seen in my photo. You're from The Netherlands yourself, if I'm not mistaken?

Recently picked up a used Leica Q2 after borrowing one from a friend and really enjoying it. This camera is a great camera for street photos in my opinion, and has also done an amazing job for just overall photography in landscape/macro/life. Highly recommended!

All shots below from Mission Beach, CA

^^ On the above photo what stands out to me is that most people are wearing clothes too large for them. Especially the woman at far right and the one with the big red jacket. :) Wonder if that's an "in" style...

Just some random dude I passed by on the street.

DSCF1213.JPG

Fujifilm GFX 50R
Fujinon GF 63mm f2.8 R WR lens
Acros film simulation

All the best,
Mike

^^ On the above photo what stands out to me is that most people are wearing clothes too large for them. Especially the woman at far right and the one with the big red jacket. :) Wonder if that's an "in" style...

Doug, here in Japan there are current fashion trends and then there are people out there just doing whatever they want to do. When it comes to what people wear the old saying “different strokes for different folks” is alive and well here. Me, I go with the middle aged - slightly over the hill comfort look.

Hello there! Glad to meet you! :D
DSCF0624.JPG

All the best,
Mike

Back