W/NW: Signs

A little - almost - futuristic some how.

SNXEw8A.jpg

I love Hong Kong - its one of my favorite places in the world. And the people are great.
But I can't help but smile occasionally at the unintended humor in some of its signage when it is translated into English. (Needless to say - no offence intended). :)

What the real estate agency claims to provide:

mRP0URU.jpg

What the real estate agency actually provides:

SEnb1Hd.jpg

This landlord apparently hates his customers:

PRCmGNZ.jpg

(Part 1 - Part 2 follows)

Part 2:

This restauranteur is at least honest about his dishes (though it's hardly a recommendation to eat there):

pTHB21J.jpg

Even I am not brave enough to comment on what this sign might signify. :p

CA1ZPP9.jpg

And finally..................not literally a sign but this one gets an honorary mention because it always puzzles me (and no, I have not tried it) :

What exactly is a "Pocari" and why does it sweat so much?

q6TDt11.jpg

Part 2:

This restauranteur is at least honest about his dishes (though it's hardly a recommendation to eat there):

pTHB21J.jpg

Even I am not brave enough to comment on what this sign might signify. :p

CA1ZPP9.jpg

And finally..................not literally a sign but this one gets an honorary mention because it always puzzles me (and no, I have not tried it) :

What exactly is a "Pocari" and why does it sweat so much?

q6TDt11.jpg
Peter,

It's a Japanese sports drink to "replace ions" lost thru sweat. Slightly better named than a competitor Calpis which the Japanese pronounce as
"cow piss". And no I don't drink either one with those names.

Bill

Peter,

It's a Japanese sports drink to "replace ions" lost thru sweat. Slightly better named than a competitor Calpis which the Japanese pronounce as
"cow piss". And no I don't drink either one with those names.

Bill
Yeh I agree - If that's the choice, I will take "Pocari sweat" every time over "cow piss". :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Calpis name was replaced by Calpico when exporting, to avoid cow piss sounding English, the company said.

Calpis is more than 100 years old, was pronounced ' Ka-ru-pi-su' ; 'カルピス' in Japan, i drink their stuff since i was a kid...

i've Never think about cow piss until...

i saw the above post today😆...

my Ka-ru-pi-su Soda, Daiso Japan, Arcadia, Los Angeles County, USA ( i love カルピス ソーダ )

Img by Taipei-metro

Panasonic G6,
Panasonic 14mm F2.5

Calpis name was replaced by Calpico when exporting, to avoid cow piss sounding English, the company said.

Calpis is more than 100 years old, was pronounced ' Ka-ru-pi-su' ; 'カルピス' in Japan, i drink their stuff since i was a kid...

i've Never think about cow piss until...

i saw the above post today😆...

my Ka-ru-pi-su Soda, Daiso Japan, Arcadia, Los Angeles County, USA ( i love カルピス ソーダ )

Img by Taipei-metro

Panasonic G6,
Panasonic 14mm F2.5
Taipei-metro,

My apologies if my comment offended you. It was something I heard from my Japanese in-laws back in the 70's. We still joke about it today. Calpis is still called Calpis here in Tokyo today.

Bill

Back