W/NW the beauty of lens flare

25874420711_c43ca842a1_b.jpg

I like this image a lot. Floating figure makes it for me.

I rather like the gentle flare you get from a stressed lens. This was taken with an OM Zuiko 85 mm f2 that I bought some time ago. It has some serious cleaning marks on the front element and I took this with it mounted on my M240 and a cheap Chinese adapter. The subject is of mature age and this type of optic is much kinder in this case than a modern optic would have been.

34923012263_b7a24687ca_o.jpg

IR flare

IR flare

If you really like lens flare, try using an IR-converted camera... You get flare, hot spots and all the strange artifacts you may - or may not - desire.

Attachments

• DSC06747.JPG
    DSC06747.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1

Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 Biogon rangefinder lens

I don't shoot many photos where I am actively trying to capture flare, so maybe this is more common than I am aware, but you can actually see the aperture blades in this photo shot directly into the sun. I don't mean the octagonal light balls, I mean you can actually see the aperture blades themselves. Is this unusual? I know I've never seen this before with this lens. Sorry about the focus, he was moving.

Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 Biogon rangefinder lens

I don't shoot many photos where I am actively trying to capture flare, so maybe this is more common than I am aware, but you can actually see the aperture blades in this photo shot directly into the sun. I don't mean the octagonal light balls, I mean you can actually see the aperture blades themselves. Is this unusual? I know I've never seen this before with this lens. Sorry about the focus, he was moving.

What camera are you using, Larry? Another RFF member had a similar artifact/reflection using a Canon 35mm f/2 LTM on a Sony A7RIII. I think it could be a reflection off the sensor, off the back of the aperture blades, then back onto the sensor? Check this post:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2938766&postcount=167

What camera are you using, Larry? Another RFF member had a similar artifact/reflection using a Canon 35mm f/2 LTM on a Sony A7RIII. I think it could be a reflection off the sensor, off the back of the aperture blades, then back onto the sensor? Check this post:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2938766&postcount=167

Hi,

Was a Contax IIIa with some Acros, so not a sensor. Well, I guess film is the original sensor. I haven’t quite worked out how that could happen, though I did take a look at the post you supplied, (thanks) and followed that one to the more extensive one on Fred Miranda. Those are all relating to digital sensors, though it can obviously happen on film. I think I will post it over there as well, as the blades are in pretty sharp focus on this one. Never had this happen before.

P1281551.jpg

CZJ 5cm F3.5 Tessar "T". Formerly in Exakta mount, converted to Contax mount and used with an adapter.
Contax mount Tessar 5cm F3.5- tend to be very expensive. Exakta mount- picked up a pair for $20each.
I used left over mounts from the 5cm F1.5 Sonnar conversions. Epoxied into place, and an internal retaining ring used for the stand-off.

Back