W/NW: Tools

After taking this picture, I bought the plane and several small items on the table.

M5 : 28mm M-Hexanon : 2.8@1/50 : BW400CN

Wayne

Thank you, John for reviving my interest on tools.
I treat them like portrait models - they are very patient and sit still while I fidget with lights :D

HandDrill001.jpg

Before photography, and before ALS, my life was my work and my work was carpentry, or more specifically, timber framing.
After nearly 8 eight years doing conventional, modern stick framing, I realized that I hated my work. It was all about quantity and speed, and not really about quality and craftsmanship. I had decided to quit and start looking for another career. Then I found timber framing.
Timber framing, or timberframing, combined my love of building with my pursuit of creativity, it opened by eyes to a whole new world of woodwoorking and craftsmanship, it gave me something I could be proud of when I went, most of all it help me see who I was and what I wanted to be.
Timberframing also introduced me to traditional western and Japanese hand tools. For years, I collected and restored old beat up woodworking tools. Sometimes I splurged and bought new tools, and some I was given as gifts. Nearly ever tool in this photo is a tool I cherished and used quite often, and nearly every one of them is ready to go to work tomorrow.
Barely 7 years after I cut my first mortise, I was diagnosed with ALS and within a year and a half I could barely lift a hammer. Over the last 5 years I have had to let go of many things, but I still can't let go of these tools.
Daiku San is the Japanese title for carpenter, and regardless of whether I was or not, it is/was what I aspired to be.

To see some of what these tools have done, please visit my company website,
<a href="http://www.swiftsuretimber.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.swiftsuretimber.com/</a>

Remnants of a Past Life par Daiku San, on ipernity​

Swift1 - very nice tool selection. I'm guessing that those Japanese chisels and slicks are really a pleasure to use.

Having built a timberframe home in the past, I can understand your love for the process.

The best to you regarding your health.

Swift1 - very nice tool selection. I'm guessing that those Japanese chisels and slicks are really a pleasure to use.

Having built a timberframe home in the past, I can understand your love for the process.

The best to you regarding your health.

Thanks John.
The Japanese chisels and slicks are amazing tools, and definitely a real pleasure to use. For timberframing, my 1 1/2" Barr framing chisel was tops.
From the looks of your tools, you know your way around hand tools, and enjoy a well tuned tool.
I noticed immediately the Stanley No.10 you posted :) I was after one of those for some time and I almost bought a Stanley No.10 1/4, but I eventually got the Lie-Nielsen 10 1/4.

Thanks John.
The Japanese chisels and slicks are amazing tools, and definitely a real pleasure to use. For timberframing, my 1 1/2" Barr framing chisel was tops.
From the looks of your tools, you know your way around hand tools, and enjoy a well tuned tool.
I noticed immediately the Stanley No.10 you posted :) I was after one of those for some time and I almost bought a Stanley No.10 1/4, but I eventually got the Lie-Nielsen 10 1/4.

Thanks
The L-N's were a bit out of my price range so I found a good Stanley No 10 and added a L-N blade. It's great for fitting big tenons.

These are wonderful! I love old tools - most of mine are at least 60 years old. I also have my Grandfather's tool box. He was a barn builder, and had all the required tools.
His tool box looks a lot like the photo by John E Earley.

Back