W/NW Trees

I passed by this scene somewhere in rural Mississippi in 2012. My initial thought was that I was working on a project of people and culture not landscapes so kept going. But several miles down the road, something triggered me to turn around and go back to shoot this frame and a backup. The image sat unused.

Six years later, I realized this was a representation of an old family farm where a later generation had given up the hard farm life and sold out, a cultural tradition. A modern agribusiness had taken over in the modern era and incorporated the once small farm into their large holding. No fence, no individual crops, just the house, now storage, and tree remained. The tree, now dwarfing the house, was the only indication of how many years had passed.

house-tree-empty-field.jpg

Nice shot, thanks for posting! I like unusually framed photos like this. And you brought out the texture in the foreground rocks too, looks better than silhouetted I think.

Thank you, largedrink! My family and I were doing some rock climbing there, so I thought it would be interesting to include some of the boulders in the composition. Funny you should mention the texture, because the (monzogranite) rock there in Joshua Tree National Park is extremely gritty.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A little help.jpg Views:	0 Size:	278.5 KB ID:	4807253
Sometimes we all need a little help.

Canon EOS 50E Ilford HP5+ FX-55 7 minutes Phone camera shot of silver gelatin print.

Last edited:
Back