Walter Kluck, the Man who Saved the Leica M System

A good article but it leaves out the point that the M series was in trouble mainly because of the M5 and the CL. The M5 was unpopular and the CL was cannibalising sales rather than making new ones. Leica were unofficially making and selling the M4 alongside the M5 for those who really wouldn't have the latest model and it was all a bit of a mess.

I don't dispute that Walter Kluck saved the M system, but it wasn't just Japanese SLRs that were to blame for bringing it to the brink.

I don't dispute that Walter Kluck saved the M system, but it wasn't just Japanese SLRs that were to blame for bringing it to the brink.

To be historically "correct," Herr Kluck returned Leica and the M system to its roots, rather than saving it from the Japanese SLR invasion.

(Seems that the real enemy during the "Camera Cold War" were the Japanese, haha. :) )

At the time, yes, the M5 and CL may have seemed like a bit of a blunder, but both are exceptional engineering pieces. The M5 did seem like too big a leap for most, but as time has passed, the M5 users continue to be emphatic about how excellent a camera it is.

An alternate-universe M7 that had been engineered to carry over the M5's genius in an M6 chassis would have been literally the perfect camera. Well, while we're dreaming (maybe just me?) also if it had M4 levels of build quality. It would consist of classic film-M body dimensions, include the front-overhang-style shutter speed wheel, viewable in the viewfinder window, along with a needle-style exposure meter readout (I wonder if they could figure out a way to do that without the pop-up arm that makes it difficult to mount some lenses?), and 3 lugs for possible vertical hanging carry. It would be perfect -- an ergonomic masterpiece.

Interesting article, fascinating history!
One of the very few articles that one can find on Andreas Kaufmann, an Austrian businessman who had bought Leica in, I believe 2004, had saved it from bankruptcy and late but still successfully led it into the digital area: http://***********.com/content/leica-phoenix-rising-ashesNow this seems hardly known, maybe some time in the future there will be similar articles about him too.

I would like to add; that Kluck had a very innovative lens designer working for him to in Midland; as Dr. Walter Mandler's name came to the for front far ahead of those in Germany. I personally met him in Crooks Leica store were I live in Fort William at that time, now part of Thunder Bay. We saw new stuff coming in all the time with regular visits from their salesman.

And to add more; in 1972 the Midland plant produced the KE7 Military Model before the other model in 1976. They were very innovative

Interesting article, fascinating history!
One of the very few articles that one can find on Andreas Kaufmann, an Austrian businessman who had bought Leica in, I believe 2004, had saved it from bankruptcy and late but still successfully led it into the digital area: http://***********.com/content/leica-phoenix-rising-ashes Now this seems hardly known, maybe some time in the future there will be similar articles about him too.

Is there any way that you can tell us what that link should be?

I wish this website had white background with black fonts. Beautiful articles like this one would be so much easier to read.
my eyes hurt, great article, thanks for sharing!

right DanskDynamit, of course without the spaces
a few more articles: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/bc23b48a-eb0b-11e3-bab6-00144feabdc0.html#axzz43pH3329w ( ft seems to make him into a 'south German', however Mr. Kaufmann is son of one of the richest and most discreetly rich Austrian families from Salzburg, studied literature, protested against Atomic power - before a popular vote banned it in Austria - had long hair ;) and was co-founder of the green party )
http://www.fdtimes.com/2015/02/09/andreas-kaufmann-leica-camera-chairman/

I bought an M4-2 new in 1979. It has been around the world several times, on every continent, at sea, on mountains, in deserts - never failed once. It has been through two CLAs, and the black finish is dull and worn in places, but it keeps working perfectly. That is a heck of a camera.
Isn't there brass under there. So does it brass?

A very nice article......an inspiration to say the least
Love the post WWII information, as I too have great interest in post war Germany and Japan having lived there not long after.
Always marvel at how Nippon Kogaku and Leitz survived those times.

That plant in Midland is still going strong. It is called Elcan (a take off on Leica Canada). They are a high level optics company. Full name is Raytheon ELCAN Optical Technologies. Located on Leitz Rd. The history lives!!

Thanks for the story!!

I think using "ELCAN" for the high-end specialized lenses was a stroke of genius. In that way Leitz tells the message that the lenses made in Canada are as good as a lens made in Germany and that you can be proud of having a "Made in Canada" Leitz lens just as well as if you have a German Leitz lens.

Love to read historic success stories like this. It makes my new M4-2 that arrived a couple of days ago seem even more special now ��

One can't find a historical perspective on any other photography venue.

I very much enjoyed reading this interesting chapter of camera history.

Back