We may have left the golden age of secondhand gear

Sounds like a series of one-time purchases, ranging from alright to fabulous, but to me, "Golden Age" implies that such were common at one time. But I'm pretty sure that the last time black paint M2s could be readily had for 700 CDN would have been before my Leica-fan years, which began in the early 1990s.

But even in the early aughties, 1000 USD seemed like a good deal of money to me! I had to think twice and thrice before agreeing to buy an $800 pre-asph 35/2 Leica Summicron from a buddy, passed on a $1200 original Tri-Elmar at a local dealer, thought I had taken leave of my senses when I purchased a new 50/1 Noctilux @ $2700.
In the 90s Noctilux 50 used was around $1k in Canada. I had that and the 75 Summilux. The Tri-Elmar didn't catch on. I had one on loan from my local Leica Dealer and found it too big.

My golden age includes:

• M4 with Summaron, Elmar and Hektor for $800 in 2011
  • Rolleiflex Automat in great shape puchased from an RFF member for $220
  • Contax G1 + 3 lens set for $450
  • Coolscan IV with all film/slide adapters for $200

...i'd even include some new cameras because seing current prices of used Bessa2a, I can't believe how cheap they were in 2005 when I agonized for months about buying one!

Prices on Leica- up. Prices on German lenses up. Prices on Contax RF bodies- about the same.
Prices on Nikon, Canon, other Japanese RF cameras and lenses- way down.

I've picked up a lot of Japanese lenses at 1/4th the price they went for 10 years ago.
That reality is why I can finally indulge in Nikon RF. When I first was interested in it, back awhile, the prices were up there with Leica.

I’m sort of fortunate in that my desire for cameras (new or vintage acquisitions) is gone.

I have a small stable of vintage Leica cameras, glass, and other German cameras - maybe about 20 or so - that I acquired under decent pricing.

My next goal (this summer I hope) is to finally get around to mixing that 1-Gallon kit of Diafine I purchased back in 2011 (I think) and shoot and develop some B&W in those beautiful cameras I have.

My digital fix will be with my recently acquired iPhone 15 Pro, and I will take that with me when I go visit my fiancée in Phnom Penh in a few weeks.

Diafine is fun stuff and a godsend if you you plan to scan. Gives me the best negs for scanning that I've found. Hope you enjoy it!

My friend's sister just happens to be a manager of another pawn shop location.

So I called my friend, who called his sister, who called the pawn shop chain regional manager, who told the store manager to sell it to me.

I walked out with a perfect condition black paint MP with a black 50 Summilux pre-asph, $600 plus tax.
This is an even better story than I imagined! Love the external pressure placed by a coincidental third party! Do you still have this incredible find?

In the 90s Noctilux 50 used was around $1k in Canada. I had that and the 75 Summilux. The Tri-Elmar didn't catch on. I had one on loan from my local Leica Dealer and found it too big.
The 50/1 Noctilux didn't play particularly well with the digital sensor, while size and weight didn't really endear it to me either. In my hands, it was a very costly Lensbaby! Never owned a 75 mm 'Lux, but the 90 mm Summicron was another dust-catcher for me.

If I were to acquire another M body, I might be inclined to get 35 and 50 mm lenses, f/2.8 - f/2.0 or thereabouts. Really love the compact size, and most of the time, I'm shooting at apertures around f/6.3 anyhow.

I liked the the last of the pre-aspherical 35/2 Summicron-Ms when I had it - at 800 USD. Today, I think there are more attractive alternatives to be had.

In contrast to steep Leica M and Kyocera Contax prices, German Zeiss Contax is looking like more of a buyer's market, ditto Nikon S and F: It seems like only yesterday when any Nikon F body bearing the NK logo was commanding a steep premium, while I searched in vain for a decent Nikon SP in the <1200 USD range.

Last edited:
The 50/1 Noctilux didn't play particularly well with the digital sensor, while size and weight didn't really endear it to me either. In my hands, it was a very costly Lensbaby! Never owned a 75 mm 'Lux, but the 90 mm Summicron was another dust-catcher for me.

If I were to acquire another M body, I might be inclined to get 35 and 50 mm lenses, f/2.8 - f/2.0 or thereabouts. Really love the compact size, and most of the time, I'm shooting at apertures around f/6.3 anyhow.

I liked the the last of the pre-aspherical 35/2 Summicron-Ms when I had it - at 800 USD. Today, I think there are more attractive alternatives to be had.

In contrast to steep Leica M and Kyocera Contax prices, German Zeiss Contax is looking like more of a buyer's market, ditto Nikon S and F: It seems like only yesterday when any Nikon F body bearing the NK logo was commanding a steep premium, while I searched in vain for a decent Nikon SP in the <1200 USD range.
I owned the Noctilux well before the digital was a glint in Leica's mind's eye. I got some fine portraits in difficult lighting conditions, but like most people, the smaller much lighter Summicrons were & still are my work horses.
I trimmed down to lenses i carried & used all the time.
(Noctilux, M6, Delta 100, f1 / 1/30th)
IMG_3469.jpg

Some of you might already know from another thread that I sold off most of my collection last summer. 99.5% film stuff.
I advertised on craigslist and instead of listing out everything, I laid out about 50 - 60 items at a time on my guestroom bed and took a photo...posted that on CL and gave a range of desired prices.

I did that about 4-5 times (I sold at least 500 cameras).

Each time I advertised I was inundated with emails from really enthusiastic and excited young people asking to come view and buy. (You can tell they're young people from the emails...;)) So, on first come, first served basis, I invited the youngsters to come by and have a look.

I was so surprised and impressed by the genuine excitement they had about film, and cameras (and their knowledge). Each one of these "kids" left my house with a box filled with cameras. It was a golden age for these youngsters because I knowingly asked prices considerably lower than what the current market would support. They were so pleased about that they always opted to buy mulitple cameras -- usually, as many as they could afford.

I knew I was "giving away" my stuff. But. I still received plenty of cash for my treasures, and even more than that, I obviously made a bunch of new, dedicated and enthusiastic film photographers very, very happy. So, happiness all around :D I still made money, my closets and shelves can be used for other things now, and I can sleep at night knowing that all those cameras are going to get used like they're supposed to be. I couldn't even get around to excercising all their shutters on an annual basis; I just had so many cameras. It's funny to realise that there is a downside to having too many cameras.....

I guess I'm saying the "Golden Age" is all relative, and at least a few people in my neck of the woods got to experience it recently. (actually, most of those "kids" drove 80 miles down from Portland to buy my cameras).

BTW, don't worry about me and my "loss". I seem to still have about 50 - 60 "special" cameras that I just couldn't part with. At least I'll have a better chance of excercising them on a more frequent basis...

Lovely.

I really love my M 240 but I'll never be able to afford another Leica. But the Z5 is so good that I'll have no qualms moving to it when that time comes.

Still, from yesterday with the Nokton 50/1.5 on the drive home:

View attachment 4834100

A shot I could grab because I'm so comfortable with that camera and lens.
Same for me. LCAG prices are insane now. But. After more than decade of gear chasing including Leica film and digital and trying to achieve results different from what is shown on gear oriented forums....
My choice is in content and how quick could I take picture with easy and longitivity :)

In my opinion, M240 is still the best digital M. It has battery large enough to keep camera awake for long time.

For my needs I need camera which allows to act as film M
Always ready and super fast to focus.

But, I didn't switched to 240, which was last priced for small pockets digital M.

I'm finding this capability with crop sensors DSLRs. Easy to find and low priced.

Back