Weekend Photography Plans: What are you up to?

Read, nap, listen to music and surf the net. I think it was 107 yesterday...I can't keep track. Over 100 every day for so long...days blur. Can't breathe outside--feel like you're drowning in hot, thick soup. Wife shops for groceries, I help bring them in and we're both sapped. The dog has cabin fever but can't stay out long before she's beating the door down to get back in. At least we can stay cool inside. It's forecast to be cooler this coming week, under 100 degrees. Maybe. I can't remember when grass was last green instead of brown.

Taking lots of pictures of the dog sleeping. Then deleting them. Pictures of door knobs, cabinets, shadows and walls. Then deleting. Just handling the cameras, not photographing anything. This has been my summer.

Read, nap, listen to music and surf the net. I think it was 107 yesterday...I can't keep track. Over 100 every day for so long...days blur. Can't breathe outside--feel like you're drowning in hot, thick soup. Wife shops for groceries, I help bring them in and we're both sapped. The dog has cabin fever but can't stay out long before she's beating the door down to get back in. At least we can stay cool inside. It's forecast to be cooler this coming week, under 100 degrees. Maybe. I can't remember when grass was last green instead of brown.

Taking lots of pictures of the dog sleeping. Then deleting them. Pictures of door knobs, cabinets, shadows and walls. Then deleting. Just handling the cameras, not photographing anything. This has been my summer.

Sounds like the definition of hell!

All the best,
Mike

Ah, Mike...thanks for your encouragement.

I was going to delete this one but decided to entitle it "Dog naps in Hell" in your honor.

_LS10005-2.jpg

.....woof.............................

Take heart, it will end. We've had the same experience in NM, but the heat broke in the past few days as the monsoons finally arrived (nearly two months late). The world still looks brown, dry and dead, but at least we can go outdoors!

A suggestion, and this costs nothing: keep those photos for a while, stash them in a folder, long enough to forget them for maybe six months to a year. You may then find a few keepers.

Went yesterday to the Mountainair Sunflower Festival in Mountainair, NM. It's a sleepy, financially struggling town that's trying to re-invent itself as an "arts destination", but not very successfully, as it's very distant from any urban centers. Nevertheless, the locals put on a fine show with live music, a street fair, lots of good BBQ, and best of all, local Lucha Libre contestants in competition! Lots of puzzled but friendly questions about the Hasselblad :). A good time for all!

It is another weekend!
I will take out my M10 with a good lens, and I will look around me for some interesting targets.

What are you up to?

It is another weekend!
I will take out my M10 with a good lens, and I will look around me for some interesting targets.

What are you up to?
Hiking, which I've been doing a lot of this week. Starting several years ago, Minolta cameras have become my default hiking camera. At the moment I'm using an SR-1 (model b)*, which is nice enough, though its plain groundglass screen is difficult to get fine focus on.

(*) The Rokkor Files - The Minolta SR Series

IMG_6608.jpeg

Hottest day of the year today in London and one of the world's largest international arms fairs is taking place in a gentrified area of East London. There will be a quite a number of people objecting to this including a family member who I am accompanying just to make sure she's safe, but should make for one or two interesting photographs.

I had an autumn clean in my attic and I discovered my old camera bag. I thought I left it in Greece but all these years it has been hidding in my attic. I have been thinking about those pictures for a while and I have uploaded some older scans in here.

In the bag are 12 boxes, each containing 50 slides from the 90s. I have plenty more in Greece which i am thinking of bringing next time I visit.

IMG_20231029_130413_(623_x_700_pixel).jpg

This is going to keep me busy for the next few weekends. I am thinking of starting another thread at some point and start showing them there.

Pan. Yes, please post some of them.

There's no telling what is in my attic and I'm afraid to go up there and start rummaging. :)

I hope that you had a great weekend and that you did some photography.
I took my M10 and the 5cm 1.5 Zeiss Sonnar (1957) to Pensacola Beach yesterday. The light was excellent, and I got some nice looking images there. Today, we may drive to Destin (Florida) for a change in locations.

I had an autumn clean in my attic and I discovered my old camera bag. I thought I left it in Greece but all these years it has been hidding in my attic. I have been thinking about those pictures for a while and I have uploaded some older scans in here.

In the bag are 12 boxes, each containing 50 slides from the 90s. I have plenty more in Greece which i am thinking of bringing next time I visit.

View attachment 4828476

This is going to keep me busy for the next few weekends. I am thinking of starting another thread at some point and start showing them there.
We would love to see some of your slides. That would be awesome.

On Saturday, I had planned to walk through a very picturesque town along Lake Michigan taking pre-Halloween street pics, but when I pulled my Nikon F2 out of the camera bag, I realized I didn't pack any film.

So goes this weekend's photo adventure.

Jim B.

Back