what camera for street shooting?

Age old saying: "What's the best camera? The one in your hand). But Joe's question is which would you choose

It's true, any camera that you're comfortable using is good for street photography. One could even use an 8x10 view camera! The camera is very rarely the issue, though a different camera could make things easier for you, but that will be different for different photographers.

tried and true answers looking for an argument...it's all about the photographer!
paleeze!!

sure most camera might work but what one is most comfortable for you and why is that?
do you prefer a big camera or a smaller one?
ned agrees but there he posts yesterday that he is going for a super wide blad for street now...why ned? why a wide blad when ANY ****ING camera will work?

Fujifilm X10 with external Olympus optical viewfinder. With the camera lens set to 28mm angle-of-view, the entire OVF is used, while it also has framelines for 35mm AOV.

I like the 4:3 aspect ratio for street shooting better than 3:2. The X10's native aspect ratio is 4:3, matching the olympus finder.

The camera's dynamic EXR mode delivers excellent results in harsh light, while its small sensor yields intrinsically wide DOF, which I like in street photos.

~Joe

P1090709a by Joe Van Cleave, on Flickr

Age old saying: "What's the best camera? The one in your hand). But Joe's question is which would you choose

i like to rotate my cameras and shoot with all of them.

the only cameras i havent shoot street with are my LF cameras but other than that, all my 35mm and MF cameras have been out on the street with me.

if i had to keep it to only one body and one lens, a RF w/ 50mm would easily be my choice, for digital and small then the GR

My little RX, but I really want to try using my iPhone more. I got rutted down trying to choose a camera replacement app. H3ll, not even sure I really need one anyway!

no, i never said for me...people make assumptions...i asked what would you choose?

Well I gave the first answer of the Fuji X100 because you put criteria which kind of takes the question of of the context of what I now use, the M6, and more towards a set of specifics that may or may not apply to those who would answer for them selves.

I thought we were to help you decide what camera based on those specifics, dig, AF, small, etc...

I have used a blad with a 60, now a Mamiya 6 or Leica gear....but that does not fall under what you asked so I figured why make you upset-er...;)

tried and true answers looking for an argument...it's all about the photographer!
paleeze!!

sure most camera might work but what one is most comfortable for you and why is that?
do you prefer a big camera or a smaller one?
ned agrees but there he posts yesterday that he is going for a super wide blad for street now...why ned? why a wide blad when ANY ****ING camera will work?

In my theory the camera has determination of how your street pictures are going to looks like. Any camera will take street picture, yes. But here is difference between LF RF, TLR, DSLR and else in the pictures style.
With Holga you always have to have it in the middle, for example :).

To me size of the camera is determined by how it is operated. Small if in auto. Sized big enough if I want to change settings quickly.

no, i never said for me...people make assumptions...i asked what would you choose?

Well, you did provide some criteria to follow, so it should not have been an unexpected assumption.

That said, I've chosen a variety of different cameras for street photography in the past, (every type excluding view cameras) but now that I have a good digital one, I'll more likely choose it since my street photography has a high percentage of shots needing to be binned.

Back