What classic M film camera would you most want a new M camera based upon?

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
4:08 PM
No, this is not a wish list of recreating classic M cameras, but a practical question -

What classic M film camera would you most want a new M camera based upon?

The new version would be "based upon" but not an exact copy with some changes made as upgrades, other changes to keep the cost down.

How close will RFF be to the concept of the new about to be announced M film camera ?

The Leica M4-2 with a reliable hot shoe and sync-contact, robust metal gears for the M-motor and flare-free RF/VF comparable to the MP.

M4 with black enamel paint. Which would basically be an M-A with a brass top, painted black. Everyone wants one, why not just make a black paint M4.

Just an M2 with framelines for 21 and 28 and a good ttl meter. Oh, right. There's no more KC 64. Never mind the meter. Oh, and a way of loading film that doesn't involve disassembling the camera.... (Long-time M user...used to be.)

S

M4 available with 0.58x or 0.85x finder, because the loading, rewind, and PC flash socket are functionally great, top plate engraving is classy, and 0.58 or 0.85 finders are better than 0.72.

Just an M2 with framelines for 21 and 28 and a good ttl meter. Oh, right. There's no more KC 64. Never mind the meter. Oh, and a way of loading film that doesn't involve disassembling the camera.... (Long-time M user...used to be.)

S

Sounds like you need a Bessa R4

As I've mentioned before... give me a Barnack, exactly as they were in the early 1950s (IIIc, IIIf, IIIg - don't mind which), but with an M-mount. Doesn't need combined VF/RF, or flappy-back "easy loading" systems. Happy with it as is - I just want something I can use more lenses on.

As that obviously isn't happening, though... M5 reissue? That'd be hilarious. Everyone getting all worked up for an M6-style camera, and Leica announce they're bringing back the M5 for a new era of film Ms.

As I've mentioned before... give me a Barnack, exactly as they were in the early 1950s (IIIc, IIIf, IIIg - don't mind which), but with an M-mount. Doesn't need combined VF/RF, or flappy-back "easy loading" systems. Happy with it as is - I just want something I can use more lenses on.

As that obviously isn't happening, though... M5 reissue? That'd be hilarious. Everyone getting all worked up for an M6-style camera, and Leica announce they're bringing back the M5 for a new era of film Ms.

Did you notice when DAG had one or two IIIg cameras converted to M mount a year or two ago? I think the info on his page said his dad Norman converted a few.

An M2 with only framelines for 35 and 50mm, a meter like the MP, brass top and bottom plates black painted, M2 type levers and knobs all in brass and black painted, M2 type frame counter, all metal parts finished in dull black paint that does not become glossy in use, all lettering filled with white paint - the B/OFF marking in red - and a tough black body covering with a leather structure. No self timer, but a lever to preview the frames for 35mm and 50mm in the viewfinder and no flash contacts and symbols.

Erik.

Did you notice when DAG had one or two IIIg cameras converted to M mount a year or two ago? I think the info on his page said his dad Norman converted a few.

Yeah, that's basically the dream.

I asked Pierro from PPP Cameras if he thought he could manage something similar - from what I gather, he's quite fond of tinkering and challenges like that. He said I'd piqued his curiosity and he'd look into it. I'm not holding my breath!

Yeah, that's basically the dream.

I asked Pierro from PPP Cameras if he thought he could manage something similar - from what I gather, he's quite fond of tinkering and challenges like that. He said I'd piqued his curiosity and he'd look into it. I'm not holding my breath!

Did you ask Don if he would make you one? If he ever catches up on his backlog of repairs he might do it.

The Leica M4-2 with a reliable hot shoe and sync-contact, robust metal gears for the M-motor and flare-free RF/VF comparable to the MP.

Yes, that exactly. Black paint over brass would be nice, but I like mine in black chrome anyway. :D

I prefer the early build M4-2 like mine because it has exactly the same viewfinder as the M4 (with the thinner/lighter, simpler frame lines, no flare, and just 35/50/90/135 frames), while the mechanicals are a little more robust and a little simpler than the original M4. I have no idea whether the hot shoe/sync contact is working in mine because in 12 years since I bought it, I have not mounted a flash on it... ;)

Simple is good. :angel:

G

I'm surprised to hear others mentioning the M4-2, because I thought I'd be the lone voice advocating that. It's the real sentimental favorite for me because that was the first M camera that I ever owned, and I carried it everywhere. Will never use it with a motor drive, forget about the FP synch, and fix the composite parts known for breakage in the original so I don't need to worry about the hot shoe falling off. "Made in Canada" might not be practical, but "Made in Portugal", perhaps? Really can't think of any other changes save for maybe a guard around the lens release button.

But what I really want is a return to what felt like a "Leica club" where membership wasn't so freaking exclusive.

An M2 with only framelines for 35 and 50mm, a meter like the MP, brass top and bottom plates black painted, M2 type levers and knobs all in brass and black painted, M2 type frame counter (all metal parts finished in dull black paint that does not become glossy in use) all lettering filled with white paint - the B/OFF marking in red - and a tough black body covering with a leather structure. No self timer, but a lever to preview the frames for 35mm and 50mm in the viewfinder and no flash contacts and symbols.

Erik.

I would most prefer this. Or a Minolta CLE on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Off topic, but I think what would be awesome would be introduction of a new LEICA R camera. Something smaller and electronic like the R5/R7. 1/4000 (or 1/8000) top speed, world class bright viewfinder with 97-100% frame coverage, multiple metering modes, exposure modes, etc. Would come with new versions of some R lenses, obviously compatible with legacy R lenses, but could also take advantage of possibly new aftermarket lenses to be developed by Voigtlander, Sigma, etc. that would have the proper electronic contacts.

While we often focus here on Leica M stuff, what is really out of control these days are the prices for Leica R lenses. The bodies can be cheapish (with a good number of these older bodies having developed electronic problems over the years), but the better lenses in the 19mm-50mm range are currently OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. This is mostly due to the cinematography crowd buying them at the currently-inflated prices and then butchering them for the "video format du jour." I think more people would be attracted to SLRs anyway because they are easier to use and more capable than rangefinders and generally require fewer precision parts that can fall out of alignment.

Back