What classic M film camera would you most want a new M camera based upon?

Sounds like you need a Bessa R4

It's funny. You're absolutely right. Had one - the one with the mechanical shutter. Liked it. A lot. Jewel of a picture-making machine. But here's the thing: it was stolen and I didn't replace it. And, I can't give you a rational explanation for that. By that time I was into a pair of M6TTLs and bright line finders on top. The Bessa just wasn't gonna fit even though it was a really sensible machine.

Like I said, irrational.

It's funny. You're absolutely right. Had one - the one with the mechanical shutter. Liked it. A lot. Jewel of a picture-making machine. But here's the thing: it was stolen and I didn't replace it. And, I can't give you a rational explanation for that. By that time I was into a pair of M6TTLs and bright line finders on top. The Bessa just wasn't gonna fit even though it was a really sensible machine.

Like I said, irrational.

That is very unfortunate. I remember handling an R4M years ago. They were solidly built cameras. I remember thinking the 21mm frameline would have been better if there wasn’t another frameline inside it.

That is very unfortunate. I remember handling an R4M years ago. They were solidly built cameras. I remember thinking the 21mm frameline would have been better if there wasn’t another frameline inside it.

Wow! I had completely forgotten about that. That may have been the thing that subconsciously stopped me. When I put BLs on one of the M6s, one of them was a straight 21. About three hundred frames in I had mostly dialed in the parallax correction. Huh. Thanks for that. You may have solved a small mystery. No small thing in a life.

All the best,

S

I hadn’t thought about that Bessa R4 finder for a while. I can imagine it would be alright in use despite the view of other framelines, and a combined 21mm viewfinder/rangefinder would be nice with a fast 21. Those R4s are expensive now though…

All conjecture, of course, but I suppose a brand new Leica film camera that looks like a Zeiss-Ikon ZI and is priced like one would sell like sliced bread. Cheers, OtL

I don't know why a Leica film camera that is "styled" to look like a Zeiss Ikon Z1 would sell better than one styled to look like an M6, presuming they were priced similarly. After all, if I wanted a Zeiss Ikon, I could just go buy one. I buy a Leica because I want a Leica.

G

Why would someone buy an M6 reissue over an MP? Is it the rumored $500 lower cost? Is it because it is rumored to be a limited edition? Why all the hoopla? What if Leica announced that they had had a spurt of productivity and would be releasing 200 extra MPs?

An M2 with only framelines for 35 and 50mm, a meter like the MP, brass top and bottom plates black painted, M2 type levers and knobs all in brass and black painted, M2 type frame counter, all metal parts finished in dull black paint that does not become glossy in use, all lettering filled with white paint - the B/OFF marking in red - and a tough black body covering with a leather structure. No self timer, but a lever to preview the frames for 35mm and 50mm in the viewfinder and no flash contacts and symbols.

Erik.

Same, except I'd want the 90mm frame lines and a hot shoe instead of a cold shoe. Black paint brass M2 with a meter and quick load.

I think a wide-angle leica would be great, with framelines for 24, 28, and 35mm. By limiting to three framelines, there is no clutter, and auto frameline selection would be possible. The existing .58 magnification might work. Brass gears like the M2/M3/M4. Old-fashioned loading system like the M2/M3: because to me, it is less fiddly. Really. M7 shutter and metering.

Back