What do you need in a forum?

The list you gave plus the ability to actually use blocking/ignoring a user is fine, but as Chris said "after the last software update it has been slow, buggy, and prone to crashes and timing out when loading."
Thanks for asking

As a newbie I feel the forum is like many digital devices: Most of the functionality is wasted on me, I need only, say, 25% of the capability. But it´s too often I cannot load the site, sometimes for minutes, sometimes longer, which is my only complaint.

Forgot one. Under the user name etc. I always appreciated knowing which country the poster was from. Any reason that's no longer there?

Didn't think I'd weigh in on this particular thread and in general I keep pretty quiet about unfortunate issues, but after having had these happen time and again these are the two things that I don't 'need' in a forum. Happens more frequently than I'd like, would prefer that it not happen at all. Everything else about the forum is fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 2.37.03 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	21.2 KB ID:	4806332

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 2.37.03 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	21.2 KB ID:	4806332

Make it seamless to load a picture into a discussion thread - click and drag. Those of us who don't use online storage can't participate. Maybe you've done this already but I'm not aware.

Make it seamless to load a picture into a discussion thread - click and drag. Those of us who don't use online storage can't participate. Maybe you've done this already but I'm not aware.

By “online storage”, if you mean something like Flickr, etc., that isn’t necessary unless you want to upload large photos.

I upload photos that I’ve saved on my phone (or PC) via the “Upload Attachments” button. There are limitations on image size, however.

I'm the farthest thing from being a "techie" so excuse me if this is wrong but doesn't the "upload photos" control only put them in the gallery? I want to EASILY load them into relevant discussion threads.

When two years ago these people seriously messed up this forum. Back then the posts were sensible and the content enriching. Then the seemingly never ending problems they created, reduced the older impatient contributors, it was months and months of inefficiency. I hardly sign in anymore now, I take one look down the list and roll my eyes at the majority of topics, show me your this or that stuff being one annoyance and the Oh what have you just bought, a roll of Ilford FP4. Give me a break. Flickr and it’s photographers comments now has my attention.

When two years ago these people seriously messed up this forum. Back then the posts were sensible and the content enriching. Then the seemingly never ending problems they created, reduced the older impatient contributors, it was months and months of inefficiency. I hardly sign in anymore now, I take one look down the list and roll my eyes at the majority of topics, show me your this or that stuff being one annoyance and the Oh what have you just bought, a roll of Ilford FP4. Give me a break. Flickr and it’s photographers comments now has my attention.

Well, then, maybe it's up to you to post something sensible and enriching?

I'm the farthest thing from being a "techie" so excuse me if this is wrong but doesn't the "upload photos" control only put them in the gallery? I want to EASILY load them into relevant discussion threads.

Whenever I post or reply, such as right here, there is an “Upload Attachments” button that is associated with the posting (see photo below). I’ve not used the Gallery .., yet.

So here is a screenshot I just made and added as a photo to this post; click on it for a better view.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FD8C4C11-455F-4181-8BF9-8C7F4EC5A191.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.4 KB ID:	4806589

“What do I need in a forum?”

Depends on the forum. What is the purpose?

The best photography forum for me was one that was run by Monte Zucker. Since I was starting a photography business in 2002, I read his articles in Shutterbug, and Monte, one of his many strengths, a great promoter, talked about his class he offered in Sarasota Florida. Monte was a great person.

Because of Monte, I did pretty well with my business. I’m retired now but I simply loved the busines. My clients could tell it when they first met me.

Today, I make photographs of my travels and family.

If you’re interested, here is a tribute to Monte:

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/...cher-resilient-spirit-and-photographic-legend

Back