What do you need in a forum?

I suspect the server used for RFF just can't handle the load, especially now that posting images directly to threads (so they're stored on the server instead of being hosted off-site) has become so easy to do.

It may be the case that the only solutions are a sizeable server upgrade (costing $$$) or purging a lot of old threads and images from the server to reduce the strain.

The communication failures with the host are excessive for me and this started some months ago. I get that diagram and message with every thread I read throughout the day; I get it with every post I make.

Please bring back rectangle avatars (or rectangle with rounded corners). I really hate those circle shaped frames :) The main problem here - it is possible to fit circle avatar into rectangle frame, but if user want rectangle avatar it can't be fit to circle frame without crop.
Examples:
gXVrHNg.jpg

3Syb5Ph.jpg

Post a topic,
Post replies to a topic
Send private messages to individuals
Customize the way I like to order topics when displayed.
Send private messages within a group of people
Block users you don't want to see
Intelligent search capabilities. Search titles, content, users etc ...
Quote a post or reply
Attach images to posts
Subscribe to posts and get alerted on new activity

Don't really care about calendar, or blogs. although I have some thoughts on that for a later topic
That's all good. Supplementary to "attach images to posts", I need "Embed images through links to a webserver into posts"

G

Please bring back rectangle avatars (or rectangle with rounded corners). I really hate those circle shaped frames :) The main problem here - it is possible to fit circle avatar into rectangle frame, but if user want rectangle avatar it can't be fit to circle frame without crop.

I am going to change mine at some point and the directions in the new forum says "400x400px min.":
It is recommended that you use an image that is at least 400x400 pixels.
So I will give that a shot at some point.

Last edited:
Also, how does one change the label under their avatar? Mine says "Happy Holidays!" and I cannot find in my profile settings where to edit that. Thanks.

Also, how does one change the label under their avatar? Mine says "Happy Holidays!" and I cannot find in my profile settings where to edit that. Thanks.
I just did it:

go to edit your profile
add a new signature tag
add a new (or the same) avatar image

The signature tag will then appear under your avatar.

I did it because my signature tag was no longer appearing under my avatar.
G

Thanks Godfrey. I am still not seeing where I can edit my avatar label. I can see where to update my avatar and my sig. and even my profile banner, but nothing to change my avatar tag line. I tried it in Firefox and Safari in case I wasn't seeing a suppressed feature, but no luck. Hmmm...

Would you mind providing a screen capture of where you are editing that field? Thanks!

Last edited:
@raydm6 that's called a 'custom title' and the permissions for the user group you are in probably disallow it being edited. So it was imported from the old vbulletin but isn't changeable under the current settings.

@MP Guy should be able to change permissions so this is editable under the user control panel.

@raydm6 that's called a 'custom title' and the permissions for the user group you are in probably disallow it being edited. So it was imported from the old vbulletin but isn't changeable under the current settings.

@MP Guy should be able to change permissions so this is editable under the user control panel.
Ok great. That explains it! Thanks @splitimageview! I'll wait for @MP Guy to make the change.

Thanks! I guess revising my avatar just reinvoked my old custom title as i see no direct way to change that entity either.
G

I guess forum also needs updated favicon that is usually visible in bookmarks and tabs. Currently it is empty.
WU0Jg07.jpg

Back