What is it with the magnetic Leica attraction?

And then there is the famous Plierench [sic]:

24377339225_f07fbe8000_c.jpg

My first Leica was a IIIF back about 1975 and it got me inspired to build my first dark-room and eventually get into large format 4x5 and 8x10. That wholly manual camera began my photographic education. Since then, I have owned several Leica M's, M-3, M-4, M-6 and a number of lenses, buying and selling over the years. Currently I own an M-6 with 24 Elmarit, 35 Summicron, 50 Summilux, 90 Elmarit-M. Funny enough, my current favorite is a Nikon S-2 outfit. Money has kept me from progressing further into the Leica digital era and the fact that they really don't measure up to some other modern cameras such as Fuji. I think the new Monochrome may be an exception. There is something extremely pleasurable about using a finely made machine and the feel of my M-6 (or an M-3 etc) and the sound of the shutter is unequaled.

What REAL MAN isn't interested in tools?

I don't have any special affinity for tools, but it's not the 'tools' thing I'm laughing at. It's the pontification on the correct names, proper usage, and so on. Hilarious.

As to being a 'real man', been there, done that. I don't need to prove a thing. My 'tools' were automatic weapons and things which explode, while wearing the livery of my nation. :D

Worrying...

Worrying...

Hi,

So we start with Leica, go on to monkey wrenches, then how often we should get out, then the dates we get and a bit of swanking about our tools...

Like I said, it's worrying.

Regards, David

If you aren't interested in tools just say so. :)

attachment.php

My aluminum Ridgid pipe wrenches, and other tools Bill finds silly.

1st prize to the first nerd to identify the far left plumbing wrench.

Tell us what the prize is first; my nerd status is a bit fragile at the moment.

Regards, David

PS Anyone voting for those superb and extra long lasting Lindström tools from Sweden? Mine were my father's so about85 to 95 years old...

I don't have any special affinity for tools, but it's not the 'tools' thing I'm laughing at. It's the pontification on the correct names, proper usage, and so on. Hilarious.

As to being a 'real man', been there, done that. I don't need to prove a thing. My 'tools' were automatic weapons and things which explode, while wearing the livery of my nation. :D
You don't like the idea of precision in communication, then? And it doesn't interest you at all that English and American are not quite the same language? For that matter, I'd suggest that the whole of your second paragraph rather indicates that you do, in fact, feel a need to boast about your (definition of) masculinity.

Cheers,

R.

And fewer still may know the French Press (of the coffee brewing type) owes it's existence to Attilio Calimani, an Italian designer.

A new piece of knowledge leads to curiosity, which leads to research (or at least google) and so it begins again...

-mike
Dear Mike,

Superb! First class displacement activity! Now I need to know more about both French Press coffee machines and Attilio Calimani. Of course this makes me much less of a man than someone whose "tools were automatic weapons and things which explode, while wearing the livery of my nation."

Cheers,

R.

And then there is the famous Plierench [sic]:
Dear Garrett,

Love it!

Surprisingly few tools are completely useless. Is this one of them?

For the last few years I've been buying all kinds of old kitchen tools, several of which seem to have been made in Chicago. Some of my favourites (not from Chicago) are patent oyster openers. I'm still trying to find the patent oysters, though. The ordinary sort open best with a plain oyster knife. Even the electric oyster knife (I have one) is no improvement.

Cheers,

R.

While looking for my most recent strange adjustable-jaw device -- more of a gas-grip than a wrench, akin to the second from the left in Fred's picture -- I came across something I'd forgotten I had: a tool for setting the angle of saw teeth. Things like this are fascinating in a throwaway society: the idea that the very tools themselves can be repaired and re-used instead of being "upgraded" every year or two, or simply being chucked out like a cheap saw. Much like a decent camera, really. I also have a huge pair of blacksmiths' tongs that is handy for straightening Land Rover bumpers.

Most people I have ever met who take their craft seriously are fascinated by the tools of their trade, especially historic ones, and of others' trades. I like to be able to discuss such things with carpenters, blacksmiths, steam engineers, motor mechanics and more. They often know more than I do but I can always learn.

Cheers,

R.

Dear Mike,

Superb! First class displacement activity! Now I need to know more about both French Press coffee machines and Attilio Calimani. Of course this makes me much less of a man than someone whose "tools were automatic weapons and things which explode, while wearing the livery of my nation."

Cheers,

R.

Nice to see you again too, Roger. Let's not do this. I concede and withdraw. Have a lovely day.

It's the pontification on the correct names, proper usage, and so on. Hilarious.

I was trying to find a snappy, slightly funny answer, but Roger pretty much summed it up for me. :)

I was trying to find a snappy, slightly funny answer to your disrespectful pontification about other's hobbies, and in some cases carreer use, of plumbing tools but nothing came to mind. :)

See David Hughes response.

Yes, I apologize for being rude. I will attempt to not do that so much in the future.

Yes, I apologize for being rude. I will attempt to not do that so much in the future.

Well yes, one would think a Jarhead would respect another man's weapons and skills. Not doing so would seem foolhardy.

Well yes, one would think a Jarhead would respect another man's weapons and skills. Not doing so would seem foolhardy.

I apologize a second time.

I apologize a second time.

Of course accepted. :)

All in fun (at least I sure hope so).

The Plierench has some very novel features. The jaws remain parallel. You can squeeze for as much pressure as you want, and the jaws don't close at an angle like most pliers, requiring you to change sizes. With this, you have ratcheted jaws, that lock into the position you need (see the bar coming out the side). They're very useful, and were made for many decades.
More:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=47985.0
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=5415.0

They would probably work on the proverbial Patent Oysters too.

24379737705_45339fb855_c.jpg

I think mattock might have meant "Brogue".

If he did the shoe is of Irish origin .
The perforations allowed water to drain out of the shoe when crossing the bogs.

That much I knew .

I didn`t know that the word brogue came into English in the late 16th century and derives from the old Irish "brog" meaning shoe.
This in turn derives from the old Norse "brok" ( as many old Irish words seem to) meaning leg covering.

The Plierench has some very novel features. The jaws remain parallel. You can squeeze for as much pressure as you want, and the jaws don't close at an angle like most pliers, requiring you to change sizes. With this, you have ratcheted jaws, that lock into the position you need (see the bar coming out the side). They're very useful, and were made for many decades.
More:

They would probably work on the proverbial Patent Oysters too. . . .
Dear Garrett,

Wow! Sounds fascinating! Many of these old tools fall into one of categories:

1: Why did ANYONE, EVER, invent that?

or

2: Why did they stop making it? (The answer is usually that the company folded for other reasons OR the tooling wore out/was lost).

Frances loved the shot and said, "Can we get a print?"

(We inherited quite a few tools from her father too, another skilled fitter and turner).

If I can find a few dozen Patent Oysters and a Plierench it will certainly join the list of tools to try.

Cheers,

R.

If you aren't interested in tools just say so. :)

attachment.php

My aluminum Ridgid pipe wrenches, and other tools Bill finds silly.

1st prize to the first nerd to identify the far left plumbing wrench.

Looks to me like a well used, what we call "pillar cock spanner" Downunder.

Is this the all time, world's record thread hi-jack??

I just painted my wife's toenails. 3mm horsehair brush. Cardinal red. Silver undercoat. Clear topcoat.

I was wearing Zegna. Was. She hasn't been wearing any clothes all day. Pretty productive - she did our taxes and wrote two proposals for a couple of agencies. Good at that.

I just painted my wife's toenails. 3mm horsehair brush. Cardinal red. Silver undercoat. Clear topcoat.

I was wearing Zegna. Was. She hasn't been wearing any clothes all day. Pretty productive - she did our taxes and wrote two proposals for a couple of agencies. Good at that.

I want to know more.

Back