What is the best shooting USED film Leica M camera?

What is the best shooting USED film Leica M camera ?

• Leica M3

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Leica M2

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Leica M4

• Leica M5

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Leica CL

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Leica M4-2

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Leica M4-P

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Leica M6

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Leica M6 TTL

• Leica M7

• Leica MP

• Total voters

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
5:54 PM
Please note this poll is not asking your favorite M film camera,

rather the best shooting USED M film camera.

Its your definition on what makes the best shooting M camera.

It is all about shooting experience, or do factors like reliability and easy use play a part?

I voted for the M3 bc of the large vf and rangefinder patch and the longer effective baselength than other M cameras. Makes it easier to nail the focus. And the camera is beautifully made and durable.

I voted for the M3 bc of the large vf and rangefinder patch and the longer effective baselength than other M cameras. Makes it easier to nail the focus. And the camera is beautifully made and durable.

Seconded, for focusing alone the M3 is a beauty. Accessory finders can always be added for wide angle lenses too.

Again, this depends on what you're doing. If I need (modern) external flash, then the M4-2 or M4-P is a better fit. If I'm NOT using a 28 or 75mm lens, then I use the M4. Note, I use a handheld light meter when needed, i.e., when working with lighting setups. If I'm shooting with a single flash unit, line-of-sight, then I just read the distance from the lens barrel and do the division to get the aperture and adjust for ASA, power levels, etc., from that point.

As a 50 shooter I have to say M3. The whole rf experience is just exceptional and I use a handheld meter any ways.

I know the M3 is the sentimental favorite, but if camera usability is the prime concern, I have to say The M6TTL is the best choice.

It has a very good meter built in, and the shutter speed dial turns in the same direction as the meter's arrow indicators in the viewfinder, so it's extremely intuitive and quick to use (quick being what Leica's are all about). I've handed this camera to people who've never shot anything other that a cell phone before and they nail the exposure and focus first try. It's other advantages relate to price, Leica Purists hate the TTL because its shutter speed dial turns the "wrong way", so they are usually a couple of hundred cheaper than a straight M6. They are also new enough to not require CLA's out of the box.

M6 TTL has my vote.

Although I would never sell my M3’s, when it comes to actual usage I favor the M6 TTL for its faster loading, for the 35mm frame lines, for the oversize shutter dial, and the viewfinder is actually brighter and more contrasty (Youxin serviced an M3 for me and its viewfinder is now as new, but I still think the M6 offers me a crisper image).

Edit: oh, right, it has a meter. Actually, I think the shutter speed dial direction is what Leica should’ve had from the beginning.

It depends on matching the lens you want to use to the viewfinder. Condition of the model is more important than whether its an M@ or M3 or whatever.

tie: M5, M7. Best shooting experience.

M5 Pros:

• spot meter
• only M with shutter speeds in the viewfinder
• match needle preferred over match diode
• easy shutter speed adjustment with a single finger with the camera at the eye
• preferred combination of framelines

M7 Pros:

• AE

Cons:

bottom loading, although every M has this con.

ZI, CLE, CL, Hexar RF, and Voigtlander M-mount bodies (including the Rollei 35 RF) all have better loading than Leica Ms.

I should have added this in favor of the M3: it’s easy to shoot a 40mm lens, framing w/ the entire vf. I’ve picked up a number of 40mm lenses in the last couple of years, after finding that I really liked the focal length (these days I’m using a 28-40-75 set up a lot). The M3’s vf approximates 40mm, so you don’t need an auxiliary finder. YMMV

I voted for M5 because of its excellent meter, and its accurate framelines. But if the survey had allowed more than one choice, I would add the M2 for its equally good framelines, and the M4 and M4-P for the same reason. I left out the M3 just because it doesn't have 35mm framelines. Finally for good measure, I would nominate the M7 because when shooting under rapidly changing light, there is no substitute for its aperture priority mode!

M2

Everything I want, nothing I don't.

Frame-lines suit my preference for 35mm as a main lens with a short-tele (90mm) as a travel companion.

Aesthetically pleasing with the full metal levers (no plastic tips) and clean body (no vf bevels or slanted rewind).

Rather fond of the Bauhaus industrial design of the frame-counter.

M2
What Nick said
"Everything I want, nothing I don't."
The 35mm is my brain's standard view.
I do use a 21 & 28 & love setting hyper-focal distance and shooting like a point & shoot. I often shoot loose with 21/28...so framelines aren't that useful.
On other M cameras the 28mm lines do nothing for me.
Love the Leica accessory viewfinders....bright & clean.
When i use the 50....i want the clean view.... the 75mm lines drove me nuts (yes i had a 75 Summilux for a while).
Decades ago i owned a 135.... that and the 50 dual range are the only goggled lenses i liked. The 35mm w goggles mess with the size/shape/balance/handling of the Leica M.

Last edited:
OK. Not M2 as starting point? So many years ago, I had to choose an M film body -- weighed the options, the advantages, the benefits...grabbed an M2. Later came the M3, M6 (broken badly), MDa, CL, and later M8, M9, M240, MXXXXXX (M10 is on horizon). In between, M4-2 and another M3 sat among the ranks. So...doesn't the proper modern film M shooter start from an M2 and then consider "options/add-ons" beyond that?

I use for 90% 50mm lenses. The best M's are M2 without a selftimer (gives the best grip), M3 for super fast lenses (best rangefinder) and MP (light meter). The framelines of M3 and M2 are the most precise. I can not say wich one is the best. With a gun pointed at my head I would choose M3, but only for sentimental reasons.

Erik.

Last edited:
After using virtually every film M over almost 30 years, I'm firmly in the M2 camp but I don't shoot anything longer than 35mm anymore. The high mag viewfinder of the M3 is pretty intoxicating though, and the choice of 50's very extensive, so everyone should try one at least once in their lives. Use to think I needed a meter, but now I find them distracting. My mind works faster then any meter now days in the most common lighting situations. They're all good cameras, capable taking great pics.

Back