What is the best shooting USED film Leica M camera?

What is the best shooting USED film Leica M camera ?

• Leica M3

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Leica M2

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Leica M4

• Leica M5

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Leica CL

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Leica M4-2

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Leica M4-P

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Leica M6

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Leica M6 TTL

• Leica M7

• Leica MP

• Total voters
My only film M is the M6 classic - gone of it because of the rangefinder flaring. If I were to replace it, the MP would be my choice.

My vote goes to M6. as it is one of the fastest even without any battery for the light metering ETC. I am sure M4 is again near close to M6 but I have never used or tried any M2-3-or-4. One and only camera I Used was M6. they are all great cameras though!!

I’ve owned all of them except the M7, M6ttl and M5.

I never cared about the M6ttl because I probably used a flash on camera 3 times in 55 years. So no need for a Ttl camera for me.

The M5 was the oddball of the M’s. The shape was a turnoff for me, just not comfortable. The swing out meter was another issue preventing metering with one of my favorite lenses the 21mm Super Angulon.

As to the M7, I don’t care anything about a battery dependent M with auto features. I just don’t need it.

The MP with the high magnification RF/VF is my favorite. I don’t use a 28 so don’t need 28 frames but do use the 75 Summilux quite often and 35. I find it a good compromise between an M2 / M4 and an M3. In addition I love the meter and keep a Leicavit on mine.

I still have my M2 that I’ve owned for thirty years and my M4-P and my second choice is my M4-P.

I love my M2. It is sweeter than all the others. I feel I can hand hold slower with that perfect shutter button and heavy camera. But the M6 or M7 have to be the best for the in-built meter. The M7 should have scored higher. And why the M6 TTL scores so much higher I don't know. The emphasis should have been SHOOTING, not USED. We get used, especially here. What is shooting? You just want to go out and get the shot. M2 supporters will say metering is unnecessary and interferes with shooting. With small kids I found too little time for metering when it was needed and so I traded in my M4-2 for the M6. That's why I voted vanilla M6.

The M2 is a good cure for GAS as Nick has said. I have had mine for 46 years. It has EG100 in it right now. Nearly finished the roll. It is the same camera as the current production MA, only better. I probably did not need any of the cameras I bought subsequently. Sobering.

The M6TTL is the best shooting film M because it’s the easiest body to find with 0.58x finder, which is the best finder for shooting a 35mm lens.

I guess it all depends on the definition of 'shooting' and the defintion of 'best.'

What is best, .91 or .72? .85 or .58?

What is best, tulip spool or removable?

What is best, metered or not?

Since all the M cameras are ~75% the same (or more) it really comes down to personal preferences:

loading: spool type
framelines/viewfinder
metered (manual & AE) or unmetered
size

Not counting the CL as an M here. 😆

As owner and user of several M3s, an M5 an M6, and a M6 0.85, I think the M3 is the best shooter. What a great viewfinder. No distractions of a meter. (One does best thinking about exposure before the shot appears.) Only the Bronica RF645 comes close, which I also use (truly a great camera). I have to learn how to clean the slow speed mechanism on some of my M3s. I have to admit that I really love using several generations of Canon rangefinders though. I've got a bunch. I seem to enjoy the VI the most after I cleaned the finder a bit.

Over the past 50 years, I've worked with nearly all the film M models.

When I bought my last film M (about 11 years ago now), I chose an early-series M4-2. This camera has what is for me the ideal viewfinder (essentially an M4 viewfinder with the non-flaring RF patch and thinner, lighter frame lines) and the ability to take a winder if I so desired, as well as a hot shoe. It was in bargain condition when I bought it ($700 or so) at KEH, and needed the viewfinder/rangefinder to be cleaned, lubed, collimated, and calibrated ($100 or so at my local tech's shop). I almost always have a 50 or 35 mm lens on it, and it works perfectly.

The cost of camera, viewfinder service, and both Color-Skopar lenses (new) was well under what I've seen for even just a body in similar shape nowadays, so it was also one of the best bargains I've gotten over the years.

G

Lucky the M was in the thread heading. I might have said the IIIf. Or even a strap lug-less Leica II more easily fitting a pocket.

I like the quick-loading system, 35 mm framelines, an uncluttered rangefinder and a fully repairable camera with no aging electronic parts in a locally made (I'm an one-hour ride away from Wetzlar) handcrafted package. With this reasoning I justify owning a beautiful, recently serviced M4 but honestly I should never had sold my M6 (classic) and I dearly miss it.

Back