What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

• Epson RD1 family - all models

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Leica M8 / 8u

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica M8.2

• Leica M9

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Leica M9-P

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Leica MM

• Leica M-E

• Leica M240 family

• Leica M-P

• Leica M60

• Leica M10

• Leica M10-P

• Leica M10-Monochrom

• Leica M10-R

• Pixii

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Leica M11

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Leica M11 Monochrome

• Total voters
Had an M8 for three years and while it was an interesting camera it had flaws that a camera that cost that much shouldn't have had.

The 240 is the mature incarnation of what has gone before and because they got it right I paid the asking price ... which I wasn't about to do with the M9 or ME.

What flaws specifically do you mean?

The IR issue, limited ISO performance for low light shooting, shutter like a staple gun and I never really got on with the crop factor.

The IR issue, limited ISO performance for low light shooting, shutter like a staple gun and I never really got on with the crop factor.
Thanks. I have the shutter upgrade on my M8. It isn't bad at all in my books, but I hear the original is more noisy. Personally, I would probably use the IR cut filters also on the new M.

Had and M8, RD1, and got to play with an M9. (Also had lots of very capable AF digital bodies like the EM5, and RX1R) All very cool. The CCD Leicas have a unique look, and the RD1 is just a pleasure to use if one likes film cameras.

However, I wanted a digital rangefinder with the most versatility. I didn't want multiple cameras, just one. The M240 is the most versatile. ISO 100-4000 is useable (for me). Macro is possible with LV, so are long lenses. Battery life is amazing. Screen is sharp and clear.

I've been blown away and 100% pleased with the M240. I look forward to using it every day. It's made photography a true joy again, and that has made me an improved photographer.

Poll edited to add more models,
totals reset to zero,
some posts about missing models deleted,

Please start voting !

Stephen

m1002.jpg

Interesting to see that this forum is about the only one using the misnomer M10.:rolleyes:

Misnaming a camera the "M" in the face of 60's years of what, close to a 600,000 + M's before it, is the real misnomer.

Instead of mindlessly following official the Leica misnomer Metropolis style,
it would b good to see more Leica owners appreciating Leica's heritage and wake up
to protest this bad PR foolishness and lack of awareness of all the M's that preceded THE M.

Stephen

I've voted for the M8 - still an astonishingly good camera within its limitations. The more recent models have addressed some of these but the original is the most significant one. I still haven't been convinced that they're worth the extra money so I've stayed with my very reliable and faithfull M8.

It's interesting that the M240 seems to be kicking butt in this poll ... I didn't think it had gained that much favor since its release personally.

I have the M9 (two) and the M240 (that's nearly the Hollywood zip code) and I haven't voted yet because I can't decide. I really identify with what Pioneer put up, as I first encountered the M9 in a similar stage of photography-life and I agree with all his points. I got an M 6 months ago (see, there's another ambiguity about the M nomenclature) and the M9s have been in the cupboard since, or rather now they are in Melbourne getting their corroded sensors replaced (must get around to voting in that poll too) and I really miss them. I continue to use the M because its advantages, that everyone mentions, essentially makes it a more practical camera. I do prefer the M9 files though and wish somehow Leica made an M9.2 with the shutter and RF of the M and a non-corroding CCD sensor and perhaps offering an optional lower magnification viewfinder for use with wider lenses.

Out of the Leica cameras I have only used the M8. I guess it makes it my favourite.
The poll now includes also the Epson R-D1 family, which is what brought me to rangefinders (not just digital rangefinders). It's a special camera, but the M8 is more convenient largely thanks to its smaller crop factor.

Back