What would HC Bresson Do?

What would HC Bresson Do?

• I believe he would still use film. film has much more to offer, even now.

Votes: 138 38.5%
  • He would go M9 for sure

Votes: 165 46.1%
  • D700 after he nagged on forums about the M8 magenta problem

Votes: 55 15.4%

• Total voters

bizarrius

the great
Local time
9:40 AM
Well, all we see around is "i use film because bla bla" and "i use digital because bla bla"
One of many reasons on why people use film is: "i like film because big photographers used it and they didn't need anything more"
yes but they never had digital :S

So...what do you think that HC Bresson would do if he was alive today?
Would he still use film or would he go M9? or even D700? :D

Well, all we see around is "i use film because bla bla" and "i use digital because bla bla"
One of many reasons on why people use film is: "i like film because big photographers used it and they didn't need anything more"
yes but they never had digital :S

So...what do you think that HC Bresson would do if he was alive today?
Would he still use film or would he go M9? or even D700? :D

Exactly. But this is so far into the counterfactual condititional that I can't bring myself to vote. France in 2010 is so different from France in 1930 that it's another unbridgeable gap, and HCB was a one-off anyway...

Cheers,

R.

Uh, he died in 2004, mind you. Digital cameras at this point were widely available, he could use one if he wanted.

Case closed.

None of the above: He'd tell us to stop wasting so much time worrying about what he would do and just go out and take some F'n pictures. Or better yet learn how to paint.

Uh, he died in 2004, mind you. Digital cameras at this point were widely available, he could use one if he wanted.

Case closed.

Hadn't he given up photography some time before?

And isn't the real question some way from what HCB would have done? Or Julia Margaret Cameron or Doisneau or anyone else, really? Isn't it closer to, "Are there any great photographers using film today," in which case the answer is surely 'yes', or "Are there any great photographers using digital today," in which case the answer is also 'yes'.

HCB used a relatively new and untried technology with the Leica. Willy Ronis switched from Rollei to Foca and then Pentax in the 1950s. Yes, there are always great photographers who choose a particular medium/ camera/ format for the look it gives, but my suspicion is that they always look at what's available; at what's easiest to use; at what'll come closest to what they want; at what they can afford (not a problem in HCB's case); and then choose the best compromise.

To pretend that all of the greats of the past would have made exactly the same compromises, now that digital is in the mix, is patently nonsensical. Of course some (probably most, in my view) would choose digital, simply because an awful lot of photographers, even good ones, stick with mainstream technologies. Equally, others don't. Which is why I can't answer the poll.

Phrase it in terms of "Should we use film because HCB did," and although it's a slightly more useful debate, the answer is still "Of course not. Use what you're happy with."

Somewhere in here, though, there is almost certainly a question worth asking. I just don't think that the OP found it, and I certainly haven't been able to phrase it right. But for me, RFF is currently displacement activity from writing some fiction, which is much harder work.

Cheers,

R.

What about Daguerre?

If HCB were alive and could use a time travel machine to visit the year 2100 and he met up with a group of itinerant space aliens, what lens would he use to capture their portraits?

The way I see it is that Cartier-Bresson was no one's technician. His photography isn't fundamentally about that. He was focused on capturing a view of life from where he stood. He used the tools that were at hand. If he were alive and if he returned to photography (he dropped it pretty thoroughly, didn't he), he'd do the same now as he did way back when. He'd grab the best, most convenient tool nearby and he'd record his version of what he saw. Pretty plain and simple. He'd probably think us all to be wasting our time on such silly speculation. Also, Leica would probably give him an M9 titanium which he wouldn't use because it was too slippery.

I have seen a picture of him holding a Minolta CLE.

Roger,

You certainly have a point if we talk about hypothetic Cartier-Bresson from a parallel universe, born a century later. I was more addressing the "what HCB would do be he alive now" part, and to that I think we have clear answer: he would most definitely not use any digital camera sold before August 2004.

Non of the above.
In fact he gave up photography completely years before his death and went back to sketching with a pencil. So if he were still alive today I guess he'd still be sketching.

I think what the OP clearly meant was what would HCB use today if he was still into photography... not the technicality of today being 2010 and he stopped photography many years before his death.

This discussion is interesting so lets not be too stiff on the facts as we at least know what the OP means.

Thank you igi.
My main ponder is that i often look at commentary videos or pictures of photographers i am influenced by or more specifically...jealous of them and they use mainly film but i am really wondering exactly what igi said, and i probably wasn't able to write that down. i suck at writing text. i can only talk on camera (thats my dayjob :D )

no need to flame me or anything. its just a poll and a stupid question amongst others :)

No flaming intended. As I say, there's a really good question in there somewhere -- possibly several really good questions.

How about: Are we sometimes over-influenced by (overly jealous of) the past? Do we try to ignore all the changes that have occurred in technology and society since our heroes were taking pictures? If so, what is the best way to counter this tendency?

Personally I'd recommend going to Arles: http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/arles 2010.html

Cheers,

R.

This week I am carrying a couple different cameras. The first is a little Lumix DMC-LX5. My usual digicam has been a Nikon D-300, but I decided to get something smaller and lighter. So far I am really enjoying the Lumix. It powers up instantly, focuses quickly, and works great at higher ISO settings.

The second camera is a Canon 7 with the big 50/.095 lens. I am using this combo for the first time, and wondering what kind of results I am going to get out of it. I'll be doing a lot of developing this week, I'm nearly through a brick of Trix.

no question is stupid. sorry if my comment came across as flaming. not my intention at all.

if your day job involves "talking on camera" you are probably a lucky man. rather than feeling jealous, why not shoot more film when you're not at your day job?

I don't think HCB cared to much about the equipment so long as it worked, was easy to handle and unobtrusive. As some else observed, he rarely processed or printed anything himself. So, I suspect, if he were at this same game today, he would use whatever they stuck in his hands. I could easily see him with an M9 or an MP. I doubt he'd carry both at once. He seemed to be quite the minimalist in terms of equipment.

Thank you igi.
My main ponder is that i often look at commentary videos or pictures of photographers i am influenced by or more specifically...jealous of them and they use mainly film but i am really wondering exactly what igi said, and i probably wasn't able to write that down. i suck at writing text. i can only talk on camera (thats my dayjob :D )

no need to flame me or anything. its just a poll and a stupid question amongst others :)

He probably used film. He had no reason to switch, I've understand mr HCB 'outsourced' all his film-processing and printing work. :)

As far as I know, HCB gave up photography in the 70s and returned to his "first love" which is painting and drawing. Before that he was more interested in the act of taking photos rather than processing and printing work. Therefore I think he would use an M9.

D700? no way.

Back