What would HC Bresson Do?

What would HC Bresson Do?

• I believe he would still use film. film has much more to offer, even now.

Votes: 138 38.5%
  • He would go M9 for sure

Votes: 165 46.1%
  • D700 after he nagged on forums about the M8 magenta problem

Votes: 55 15.4%

• Total voters
Cartier-Bresson would never use digital camera's. He liked (and sold) only silver gelatine prints. It is not possible to make silver gelatine prints from digital files.

Erik.

Cartier-Bresson would never use digital camera's. He liked (and sold) only silver gelatine prints. It is not possible to make silver gelatine prints from digital files.

Erik.

Actually, that isn't true: http://www.digitalsilverimaging.com/

It may not be "traditional", but it is silver gelatin prints made from digital files.

As for HC-B, he'd probably laugh at the poll, but it is good fun to speculate :)

Artist not equipment

Artist not equipment

I believe HCB saw photography as a shortcut way of doing a sketch. We can bang on about equipment quality but I have always seen his use of his original Leica as his discovery of a technique to reduce the quality of photography while increasing the timeliness. After all most cameras of the era had larger (= higher definition) films or plates, many with lenses highly regarded even today. The game-changing features of the Leica were its small size, rapid turnaround between photographs and large depth of field. HCB rather famously zone focused so I don't think the rangefinder element came into it for him.

Today HCB would use his iPhone (the least conspicuous camera, simply because everyone uses it) and then render in monochrome on his Mac. He would develop an app to eliminate the autofocus and instead have 2-3 zone focus buttons, plus minimal shutter lag.

Or perhaps with modern "left-brain" training he would have been a better sketcher and would never have taken up photography.

It was his artistic eye not his equipment that made him a great photographer.

Imho.

One of many reasons on why people use film is: "i like film because big photographers used it and they didn't need anything more"
yes but they never had digital :S

So...what do you think that HC Bresson would do if he was alive today?
Would he still use film or would he go M9? or even D700? :D

For starters, the opening statement about "Big photographers use it" tells me that you spend far too much time on the Internet instead of out in the real world, in short, its kind of a load of BS, totally unfounded.

I have used digital for over 17 years, most of my career, but I use more film now days because I like the process, the result and the fact that it never has to touch a computer, it has nothing to do with a big photographer.

And I think that if HCB were alive today, he would be too old to shoot or care for that matter but if the age were lower, say, 60-70, he would still shoot film because he was not the next greatest fad, technology or gear type of guy. Add to that he did not much care for color, I doubt he would appreciate nor bond very well with the often distracting and overwhelming myriad of options on a digital camera, ability to see the image right away included.

HCB was about pure and very simple but highly stylized photography, not about gear like many on here are, I have full confidence he would have passed on digital...

For starters, the opening statement about "Big photographers use it" tells me that you spend far too much time on the Internet instead of out in the real world, in short, its kind of a load of BS, totally unfounded.

I have used digital for over 17 years, most of my career, but I use more film now days because I like the process, the result and the fact that it never has to touch a computer, it has nothing to do with a big photographer.

And I think that if HCB were alive today, he would be too old to shoot or care for that matter but if the age were lower, say, 60-70, he would still shoot film because he was not the next greatest fad, technology or gear type of guy. Add to that he did not much care for color, I doubt he would appreciate nor bond very well with the often distracting and overwhelming myriad of options on a digital camera, ability to see the image right away included.

HCB was about pure and very simple but highly stylized photography, not about gear like many on here are, I have full confidence he would have passed on digital...

Can't argue with that! Well stated.:)

I couldn't choose one of the poll choices, as they simply don't offer enough breadth. There is no reason to assume that HCB wouldn't choose SLR's over RF's, another brand over Leica, some kinds of digital over some kinds of film. In his day, choices were more limited, and he choose tools from what was available to him. With today's much broader choices, who knows? If he were starting today he might choose a digital P&S. I don't get the impression that he credits the camera, per se, for his successes.

This obsession with hardware does us a disservice. If any one of us took thousands of pictures every year, for a decade or so, with nothing but a Brownie and Tri-X, we'd begin to produce some amazing results. There is something to be said for really, really knowing your tools, for all their strengths and flaws. The master woodcarver does not spend his days on the 'net lusting after better chisels. Choose good tools, know your tools, master your tools. It's a very old progression that gets one from apprentice to journeyman to master.

Very true. And even better with (let's say) a Kodak Retina. It's the 'quality threshold' criterion, the level at which better camera = better pics or better photographer = better pics.

Boaz,

R.

Contrary to what many people believe of him, Henri Cartier-Bresson was meticulous about his signature in his photography and he was utterly conservative in maintaining his style. I remember from the days of the HP3 on that he was consistently using Ilford hi-speed films up until the HP5 as long as they were available on his “path” or carrying them in 30ft rolls to cut in hotel rooms. He never used a lightmeter and always rated his film at 400ASA, not even needed to push higher. His favorite developer was (almost always) Harvey’s 777 (a soft working, fine grain formula) and his processing/printing was done by first Pierre Gassman and later (through the end of ‘60s I think) by Voja Mitrovic. His lens was the collapsible Summicron from the day it was introduced until he left photography for painting. This lens has been several times to Wetzlar for cleaning and recoating, the same lens... His printing paper was Ilford Multigrade for most of the prints. How many photographers we know of such exacting standards? (When I met Marc Riboud in 1979 I was told he was already into painting but seeming around with a CL.)

Look at his photographs especially the prints in the exhibitions; you will note a long and smooth gradation of mid-grays until highlights. This was also a part of his style. Mr. Cartier-Bresson was one of the rare photographers who cared to have a distinct signature in his photographs to be recognized as much as he cared his face to be not recognized.

What would he be using in our day? Do you know any digital camera including the M9 to duplicate the tones we enjoy with fine B&W film photography?

If he didn't use a meter, it's a bit difficult to say that he used a consistent ISO speed. And his printers have said, at various times and to various people, that his negatives were not always perfect: sometimes quite a long way from perfect. But a good printer can wring excellent quality out of less-than-perfect negative. He used a number of lenses --- the Summicron was still far in the future when he started -- so if I were you I'd query the sources of your information.

Cheers,

R.

If he didn't use a meter, it's a bit difficult to say that he used a consistent ISO speed. And his printers have said, at various times and to various people, that his negatives were not always perfect: sometimes quite a long way from perfect. But a good printer can wring excellent quality out of less-than-perfect negative. He used a number of lenses --- the Summicron was still far in the future when he started -- so if I were you I'd query the sources of your information.

Cheers,

R.

Sure..
In May 1967 Popular Photography as was reported by Bob Schwalberg, about his precision for determining the correct exposure:
""One afternoon we sat together in my Wetzlar apartment discussing films and developers. Cartier-Bresson repetedly referred to the fact that he exposed Ilford HP3 film at 400 ASA. I cut in to ask, since he almost never uses an exposure meter, how could he claim to be exposing at 400 or any other ASA? He insisted, however, that he exposed consistently at 400 ASA.
At this point I picked up a Norwood exposure meter, twisted the bubble toward Cartier-Bresson with the scale facing me, and asked for the exposure at 400 ASA. Without hesitation, he told me exactly what the Norwood did. Slightly taken aback, but not yet defeated, I aimed a flexible desk lamp so as to crosslight my face, and again demanded the 400 ASA exposure. Cartier-Bresson took perhaps 10 seconds before replying: 'Well, it depends on whether you mean the right or left side of your face. On the right it's about 1/15 at f/2; the left is probably close to f/2.8 at 1/30.' Both answers were bang-on, and thereafter I accepted his 400 ASA as being at least as reliable as my meter's."

HCB had a long photographic life and I was able (in freshman year) to find some information about his preferences first starting with 1963; Pierre Gassman was taking care of his prints those days. And as for the collapsible Summicron, he switched to it since its introduction and used it until his retirement, then he gave his very last camera, an M6 with "that" junk looking collapsible Summicron with tape wound around the aperture ring to one of his friends with a note; a famous note. I was so eager those days about the master's "secrets" and some other things I have heard from Mr. Marc Riboud when I met him in Istanbul in 1979.

In case you really are interested in further sources I can find them but I need a little time to dig into my dusty "archive" notes, however I have met some of them on the internet in the recent years too. In our time he was the idol for many of us.
media_httpfarm3staticflickrcom261339141700444a0b2358ebjpg_aIeoaApEfiyFaGf.jpg

Last edited:
Sure..
In May 1967 Popular Photography as was reported by Bob Schwalberg, about his precision for determining the correct exposure

Well, I've met quite a lot of people who can give you a correct exposure quite a lot of the time, and I can do it myself, but it's always statistical, i.e. 90% right... 95% right... etc.. Plenty are worse than I, but plenty are better too, such as Jane Bown and the lateTerence Donovan. Pegging a skin-tone exposure to a relatively common lighting situation is something I'd expect of anyone who had been guesstimating exposures for 45 years (as HCB had at that point), but that's not a lot to do with ASA/ISO speeds, which are only tangentially related to incident readings, so I'd have my doubts there too.

The Summicron was introduced in 1953, and even if he'd used the Summitar 'star' (the precursor of the Summicron) in prototype form in 1950, he'd still have been using other lenses for longer than the Summicron at the time of the interview (1932-1950, as against 1950-1967).

Bob Schwalberg was no more immune to myth and mystery than most competent journalists, let alone hero-worshippers (I was so eager those days about the master's "secrets") and having talked to one of HCB's printers, I'd put more faith in the printer's opinion than in Bob's.

Don't get me wrong. HCB was very, very good. But not actually infallible. And I completely agree that film gives vastly better results in B+W than digi. But who's to say that 21st century HCB would use B+W instead of colour? There are so many counterfactual conditionals in the basic question that it is all but worthless.

Cheers,

R.

I think HCB would use digital.

By the way, HCB does not develop his own film right?

Correct. He farmed all his work out to PICTO in Paris. George Favre, the resident guru there, processed and printed it. HCb apparently couldnt have cared less about the darkroom.

George has told me that HCBs negatives were often very bad, a function of shooting without a meter. so yes, HCB was human like the rest of us.

Didn't HCB dislike using color film? I think he said it was "ridiculous."

If he never got into color film, I can't see him embracing digital.

Actually HCB did shoot some color film for assignment work. I saw the tear sheets at a recent HCB exhibit at the High museum in Atlanta. I believe the magazine was Life or Look.

donbga

Erik.

Sorry, but that's not true. More than one lab offers digital files printed directly to silver gelatin.

donbga

HCB came from a privileged background. He could afford any camera he wanted to use.

donbga

Quite. But also, as far as I recall, he started using Leicas before the Contax I was introduced, and the Contax I wasn't really a very usable camera next to the Leica. Nor was the II (1936) in my opinion, though Contax lovers disagree.

Cheers,

R.

I met HCB at a gallery showing in Paris in late 2003. He had an Olympus Stylus Epic in his hands. Asked him what he had in it. He said HP5.

Back