where might i get some digital prints made?

moof, "pro" printers here do canvas prints. ick.

thanks for all the advice, guys.

do i take it c-prints are better? i'm looking for best quality i possibly afford ...

moof, "pro" printers here do canvas prints. ick.

thanks for all the advice, guys.

do i take it c-prints are better? i'm looking for best quality i possibly afford ...

C-prints are pretty much considered gallery prints. They are "expensive," when compared to a print from say Whcc.com, which are produced for a different purpose.

While ink jet has come a long way, particularly in black and white, chemical color prints are hard to beat -- IMO.

From http://www.duggal.com/discover/industry-news/what-is-a-digital-c-print/
"The term C print stands for Chromogenic color prints. These are full color photographic prints made using traditional chemicals and processes. For Digital C prints, the material is exposed using lasers or LED lights. Originally, passing color corrected light through a negative onto photographic paper or transparency film produced traditional c-prints. Kodak introduced chromogenic papers in the 1950’s under the name Type – C. The name stuck and ever since it has been a mainstay of the photographic lexicon."

From http://www.duggal.com/discover/industry-news/what-is-a-digital-c-print/
"The term C print stands for Chromogenic color prints. These are full color photographic prints made using traditional chemicals and processes. For Digital C prints, the material is exposed using lasers or LED lights. Originally, passing color corrected light through a negative onto photographic paper or transparency film produced traditional c-prints. Kodak introduced chromogenic papers in the 1950’s under the name Type – C. The name stuck and ever since it has been a mainstay of the photographic lexicon."

This definition is slightly inaccurate. C-prints are a subset of "chromogenic prints", one that produces a positive image from a projected negative. Type-R prints are chromogenic prints that are processed in reversal chemistry and produce a positive image from a projected positive.

This definition is slightly inaccurate. C-prints are a subset of "chromogenic prints", one that produces a positive image from a projected negative. Type-R prints are chromogenic prints that are processed in reversal chemistry and produce a positive image from a projected positive.

There are no digital chemical prints referred to as R-prints that I know of. At least not from Duggal. Although museums don't care about the source digital or film, they simply use the term "chromogenic print." They seem refer to ink jet as "archival pigment." Each museum seems to have a slightly different name for various prints.

But I admit, I am no expert, that is why I use a professional printer. :)

Re-awakening this old thread. I am debating buying a color printer or just sending out the occasional print to a printing house. Sending them out is emailing the digital image and waiting for the mail delivery with the results. I do not print a lot of photos so sending out seems the best idea even though I would love another electro-mechanical gadget.

This raises the question of where to send the images to be printed. There are a few photo houses which do this work and there is Costco. Can anyone tell me their experiences in the realm of pedestrian photo printing as opposed to gallery quality? The info here is dated so I wonder what, if anything, has changed.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me their experiences in the realm of pedestrian photo printing as opposed to gallery quality? The info here is dated so I wonder what, if anything, has changed.

Thanks

For pedestrian, I use Walgreens Photo. Don’t know if you have any near you. Very convenient and ready within an hour usually. I do it all online through my account and wait for the email notification that they are ready for pickup. Sometimes they run deals. Not the highest quality but good for those snap shots and if you need something quick.

For pedestrian, I use Walgreens Photo. Don’t know if you have any near you. Very convenient and ready within an hour usually. I do it all online through my account and wait for the email notification that they are ready for pickup. Sometimes they run deals. Not the highest quality but good for those snap shots and if you need something quick.

They look OK, and I have one close by but they do not print 12 x 18. I ran three 12 x 18's off at Costco for ~$15 delivered. I do not print often or much but when I do I do not want to have to squint at it. I will keep them in mind even though matte is mail order only. An option, I always need options. Thanks

Re-awakening this old thread. I am debating buying a color printer or just sending out the occasional print to a printing house. Sending them out is emailing the digital image and waiting for the mail delivery with the results. I do not print a lot of photos so sending out seems the best idea even though I would love another electro-mechanical gadget.

If you do not make many prints, I would recommend that you not buy a printer. I have no experience using outside printers, so I am afraid I cannot be of much help to you there.

I'd put in a plug for http://www.snapfish.com. Great prices (always check out their deals), wide variety of print sizes, generally they come back looking exactly like what I saw on my screen (I've only ever had one problem in that regard, and they reprinted it without question or charge), and they print on Fuji Crystal Archive paper, possibly the best *real* color paper out there nowadays. I do all my 16x20s there, and have been entirely happy with what I'm getting from them. (And so have my my clients!)

At the other end of the spectrum (in case others are interested) are these guys here in Massachusetts:
https://digitalsilverimaging.com/

I have never used them though. Pricey, but looks like good quality especially if you want to display/present.

More details on their About page:
https://digitalsilverimaging.com/about-dsi/

If I ever take a really good picture I will go to these guys for a 12 x 18. And curmudgeon that I am I will run the same print through Costco just for comparison purposes on a few prints. Thank you for this one. Walgreens for quick snap[shots, Costco for better and DSI for that filet mignon photo.

Back