Where to buy Xpan/TX in 2019

karateisland

Established
Local time
4:10 AM
Hey all!

After fighting it for years, I've finally given in and decided to put some of my hard-earned money toward a panoramic 35mm camera. Since the cameras are so expensive, I want to make sure I'm getting a "good" example and not throwing it away. That's why I want to ask--Where would you buy one of these guys in 2019 (if you were on the market)?

I would buy one from this forum (or Fred Miranda), but they don't come up too often.

Not ready to buy just yet, just trying to get my ducks in a row and budget properly so I don't end up in the poorhouse due to GAS.

Hey all!

After fighting it for years, I've finally given in and decided to put some of my hard-earned money toward a panoramic 35mm camera. Since the cameras are so expensive, I want to make sure I'm getting a "good" example and not throwing it away. That's why I want to ask--Where would you buy one of these guys in 2019 (if you were on the market)?

Where do you live? If you are in Europe, ordering in the US is more expensive due to import duties (and vice versa).

35mm film cameras to the US are duty free, have the shipper reference harmonized tariff code 9006.53.01 "35mm film camera"

I bought mine from Japanese ebay sellers. While I have bagged on the common and garden variety sellers, those tend to be sellers that are not dealing in high end gear.
Xpans now are v expensive and it seems only the high end/'pro' sellers with legit excellent ratings have them. Both mine were/are superb.

35mm pano's are very expensive. you should take a look at the MF panos as they cost about the same or even less. the original fuji g617 is less and is a great camera.

Considering that I'm in the US, and that I'm pretty comfortable buying from Japanese eBay sellers, I think I'm in business!

I'll also be IN japan in September, so maybe I could just buy one while I'm there...

35mm pano's are very expensive. you should take a look at the MF panos as they cost about the same or even less. the original fuji g617 is less and is a great camera.

I've thought about it, but I'm not much of a landscape shooter, so the idea of getting 4 shots per roll is a little hard to swallow!

I've thought about it, but I'm not much of a landscape shooter, so the idea of getting 4 shots per roll is a little hard to swallow!

there is a difference between panoramic camera and "panoramic aspect" camera...

No doubt there's a difference, but the bigger hurdle for me is the ~$3,000 going rate for XPAN/TX-1/TX-2 cameras. I opted for the Pentax 6x7 with a 35mm film adapter - we'll see how that experiment goes... ;)

No doubt there's a difference, but the bigger hurdle for me is the ~$3,000 going rate for XPAN/TX-1/TX-2 cameras. I opted for the Pentax 6x7 with a 35mm film adapter - we'll see how that experiment goes... ;)

Hope it goes well! We make our choices, pay our money, and hope for the best!

Hope it goes well! We make our choices, pay our money, and hope for the best!

If u can spring for one, they are awesome. I have swinger pano cameras too, and they are just very different.
Lenses on the Xpans are easily Leica quality. Just superb.

Would you ever consider buying a Mamiya 6, 7, or 7II with a 35mm panoramic adapter kit?

That way you get an oversized Xpan w/ a manual film advance, and a 67 medium format camera in one.

Just a thought, it would be way cheaper too.

Would you ever consider buying a Mamiya 6, 7, or 7II with a 35mm panoramic adapter kit?

That way you get an oversized Xpan w/ a manual film advance, and a 67 medium format camera in one.

Just a thought, it would be way cheaper too.

I have considered it, and it seems like a really reasonable approach. However, I already have a Rolleiflex that I love for MF, and for some reason I have a bee in my bonnet about trying to get the smaller pano camera I can. It's not reasonable, but the heart wants it!

I totally understand man, those cameras are freakin gorgeous. I almost went that route myself but opted for the Mamiya 7 + adapter. Good luck on your quest!

I sold mine awhile back for a very hefty profit as the fear that it was destined to die and the astronomical prices seemed like the smart thing to do.

I loved it but I opted for the GFX 50R and shoot in that aspect ratio to approximate the experience.

I know the GFX 50R will eventually die as well but for now it seemed like the better longterm option.

Hey all!

That's why I want to ask--Where would you buy one of these guys in 2019 (if you were on the market)?

I would regulary check KEh, they have sometimes one coming up. If you don't mind buying in Europe, FFordes in GB is a very good address (I have both bought my 30 and 90mm lenses there), they have these cameras every now and then, but are usually reasonably priced. There you have to be fast, I think the last XPan they had on sale was gone after 2 hours or so.
Another possibility in Germany is Photohaus in Hamburg (search both for Xpan and X-pan there, since they use both ways of writing the camera), which also has a good reputation.

Back