Votes: 91 9.0%
  • R3A

Votes: 157 15.5%
  • R4M

Votes: 118 11.6%
  • R4A

Votes: 113 11.1%

• Total voters
I find great comfort in the accuracy of the RF on my Bessa T - I came from a IIIa so my Bessa R seemed a step backward in this regard. Still use the Bessa R all the time with slower lenses, but the T gets the nod for fast 50's and longer lenses..... With a silver Leica 50 VF mounted, the silver T is a joy to behold and use, even with glasses.

The Bessa R with a CV 35/2.5 mounted replaced my Rollei 35 as "grab and go" camera walking with the kids. What a great little kit.

I like the R2: manual exposure, mechanical operation, LED metering for dark situations, metal construction. It can use M-Mount and LTM lenses. The manually selectable framelines means leaving the 35/135 Leitz adapter on it and using with any focal length lens.

And I like the lines of of the top plate with the fold-up rewind lever. Like a Canon P.

Unfortunately I had a play with an R3A a few days ago. The desire/lust to own/possess/use is almost overwhelming. This all started because I purchased a 58mm f1.4 Nokton for my Nikon D40. This lens is such a pleasure to use.

Resistance is almost futile.

cheers
Simon

Until recently I had six rangefinders, five of them Leicas. I decided to let go several of them and spent a long time selecting which to keep - my R3A was one of those I decided to retain along with an M3. I decided for what I wanted the M7, whilst a terrific camera, was superfluous as the R3A did everything it could do. Another consideration is that I would not be worried about rough-handling the R3A or taking it to parties or evenings out in town whereas I was always conscious of having the M7 with me and needing to protect it from aquisitive eyes or bumps and scrapes to its perfect condition.

So, I voted for the R3A, which I'm very fond of: I even like the shutter noise.

I'm sure if Cosina brought back the original Bessa R it would sell in great numbers.
But they won't - it would cut into sales of the much more expensive later models.

Chris

That's why I bought a used Bessa R a month ago. It needed some repair, but it was only $100. I keep the Bessa T for M mount lenses and I will use the R for the LTM lenses. The L will be not needed anymore.

Late to reply

Late to reply

The R3a is for me as it has all the frame lines of my favorite focal lengths with a 1:1 VF to boot. :D

R3A because of the 1:1 VF, AE, and the ability to use both M and LTM lenses. Also, it is my only grey camera - goes better with my clothes on some occasions ;)

It has got a rival in my Zeiss Ikon recently.

I had L and R and liked them, too, and wouldn't say no, if an olive T came along.

Last edited:
I'm sure if Cosina brought back the original Bessa R it would sell in great numbers.
But they won't - it would cut into sales of the much more expensive later models.

Chris

I think they'd sell a truckload immediately. Just upgrade the material the body is made of and they have a retro classic. And maybe make it a bit less noisy.

It was the R in black, the upgrade to R2 happened simply because I like the R's lines and I wanted to have them in metal and....olive.
The only thing that makes me think of getting an M Leica that they both have an obnoxoius quirk: out of a sudden usaually in the middle of the film the transport lever can not be operated or only partly. The remedy was easy rewind the film and Lo and behold it works normally again. That's the thing that made rate the the Bessas 3.7 of 5 stars in my inofficial list.
The fact that I don't have torely on the old Canon RF's (rare as a hens teeth in Germany and Austria) to have a VF where FL's can be chosen instead of having to buy dedicated adapters is great! The R + 35mm/2,5 is a very good universal camera or second body to drag around the whole day. The fact that it was made out of plastic changed from a bug to an important feature. But still the paint comes off and makes this camera too dinky sometimes.
If they only could have used the same plastic they used for the Nikon D40!
The other cameras like R2a etc remind me too much of ......Zorki 4's or 4K's (bashing by others accepted) to please my eye.

Having already an R4M and a T, my Bessa right now is Bessa T, because these days I'm buying my third Bessa: my second Bessa T.

I enjoy that camera much more than I expected.

I think they'd sell a truckload immediately. Just upgrade the material the body is made of and they have a retro classic. And maybe make it a bit less noisy.

Agreed. I am sure that they would sell a ton. I picked up mine in near-mint condition on photo.net for only $140!! I consider myself very lucky; it was a good deal.

My bessa r sure is quite a bit noisier than my r3m though. That said, it is nowhere near as noisy as my spotmatmic ii. :)

Agreed, Jim. I'd be first in line to get one. Kind of sorry I sold mine. I just returned from a week in the wilds w/ nothing but a Bessa T and several lenses. The T performed admirably, but there were times (fiddling w/ external vfs) when I missed that Bessa R!

Back