Which Contax G body?

To G1 or to G2, that is the question

To G1 or to G2, that is the question

HI,

either body is great. I had a G-1, now have a G2.

G1 Advantages: Infrared focus beam in low light, lightweight, accepts almost all G lenses.
G1 disadvantages: Not many, unless you are a speedy shooter. Focusing can be erratic sometimes, but not often in good light. Or bad light. Noisy rewind.

G2 Advantages: Fast shutter speeds, center-weighted metering. Accurate metering. Black model looks cool. Multiple shooting modes.
G2 Disadvantages: One out of every ten seem to have freeze-up problems. Don't know why, but it happened to a buddy of mine. Costly to repair. Erratic focusing in low light. Manual focus wheel useless.

If your buddy is a conservative shooter, and wants a good camera with Zeiss lenses for a good price, then I'd recommend the G1. If he likes to shoot fast, and wants a groovy black camera, then go for the G2.

Cheers,

Chris
Canonetc

Sorry, but that's not totaly correct!

The G2 has infrared focus for low to no light, the G1 has a red focus assist lamp.

The focusing wheel is a personal thing, I prefer the G2 focusing wheel over the G1 as it's easyer for me to change shutter speeds with my thumb.

Right thumb for shutterspeed and AF Lock, indexfinger on the shutterrelease and middlefinger on the focus wheel. Left Thumb and indexfinger on the aperturering, I realy like that :)

canonetc said:
HI,

either body is great. I had a G-1, now have a G2.

G1 Advantages: Infrared focus beam in low light, lightweight, accepts almost all G lenses.
G1 disadvantages: Not many, unless you are a speedy shooter. Focusing can be erratic sometimes, but not often in good light. Or bad light. Noisy rewind.

G2 Advantages: Fast shutter speeds, center-weighted metering. Accurate metering. Black model looks cool. Multiple shooting modes.
G2 Disadvantages: One out of every ten seem to have freeze-up problems. Don't know why, but it happened to a buddy of mine. Costly to repair. Erratic focusing in low light. Manual focus wheel useless.

If your buddy is a conservative shooter, and wants a good camera with Zeiss lenses for a good price, then I'd recommend the G1. If he likes to shoot fast, and wants a groovy black camera, then go for the G2.

Cheers,

Chris
Canonetc

G2 reply to reply

G2 reply to reply

Woops! Guess I couldn't see the infrared beam on the G2! sorry for my misinformation.

Chris
Canonetc

I think (waiting to put my hands on G2 with 35-70) that the focus button is in front for G2 and on top for G1. Remark for jlw saying the button is on the back.
I can't get G2 with 21 mm, because my source will ens with G1 + 35-70. Bad situation.
His G1 is also not upgraded.

The button on the G2s back jlw mentions activates the AF and focuses the lens. It is not the "manual" focus.

Hi Socke. The button you talk about is called "Focus lock" as I understand. I learn slow.
It is not intended to activate the focus, but to lock it only. The shutter release button activates the focus motor. Let me know if I am wrong

IZr, it activates the AF and holds focus as long as you press it, with a bit of training you can press the button and turn the ring to manual focus.

Thanks. I like it. Also in particular I like the grey back of the shutter and the ability to zoom the viewfinder with the zoom lens. I hope soon to upload some scans from G2.
It lacks framelines, but comming from the SLR I think it is more natural.

Last edited:
IZr, I'm interested in your report about the 35-70, too.

At the moment I mostly use the 45 and the 28 next and so added a 35 to my collection to avoid changing lenses so much.
One day I have to go out with the 90 as my only lens to show it the light :)

Socke,

I just bought a used 90 after using the 45 for two years. I used it exclusively for a couple of weeks and the shots developed so far are great. I had to move back a couple of times but usually it allowed me to stand back and observe the action without being in it. I am saving for a wideangle next.

I'd suggest getting both bodies, that's the way I use my Gs. I have all the lens except the 16 and the zoom (I don't find them much useful). The 21 stays with my G1 all the time, saving me the trouble of switching lens and viewfinder at the same time. I change over the rest with my G2.

Frankly, I like the G1 better because of it's weight and size, but the G2 does have its advantage when it comes to tech spec. If I were to give up one, the G2 will go.

I'd second tron's suggestion. After owning a G1 for over a year I bought a G2, just to experience the improvement. Now I often carry both for day trips.

I also like G1 better, mainly because of the size. G2 is great with even better specs and the improvement on focusing is small but noticeable. However, at the end of the day, the improvement makes little difference in the result. Not enough to justify the price difference, IMO.

BTW, if you find the manual focusing wheel on G1 too loose, you can have it adjusted. The repairman solved it when I was complaining about this problem... a three minutes work. :cool:

G1 or G2?

G1 or G2?

I have had a G1 for ages, recently got a G2, and while I don't like the form factor as well, everything else is better. The focus is faster, it is quieter, I thrust it more...

If they could have stuffed the works of the G2 into the G1 body style... Ah well. :D

g1 is fine, but since he is just now buying better go for G2. why not get a camera more fine-tuned and w/ less milage on it?

g3? They're going or have gone OOB (out of business)!

sync

sync

I have only skim read this thread but I did not see mention of sync speed, 100th on G1 , 200th on G2. I have never tried a G1 but it can't be bad, love my G2's.

Adam Muir said:
I have only skim read this thread but I did not see mention of sync speed, 100th on G1 , 200th on G2. I have never tried a G1 but it can't be bad, love my G2's.
I've had a G1, still have two G2. The G1 is smaller but the G2 does have some technical advantages, though for me the synch speed is irrelevant. The Leica has only 1/50th and for the big Pentax it's 1/30th... for some this is important. :)

The G1 is a cool camera, simple and affordable now. Deserves better praise and I think the design and build quality is superb. Okay, it's an automatic rangefinder but you get used to it.

Sorry if I missed it being mentiond but the G2 has a data back that can print useful info on the film, while I don't think the G1 can do that (date only?)

akptc said:
Sorry if I missed it being mentiond but the G2 has a data back that can print useful info on the film, while I don't think the G1 can do that (date only?)

Hi AKPTC,
By useful info do you mean date year etc?
I have just purchased the G2 with 28mm and 45mm, for 4 days ago and I LOVE it, now Im looking for 35mm and the 90mm lens.

Regards

Em

Magic said:
Hi AKPTC,
By useful info do you mean date year etc?
I have just purchased the G2 with 28mm and 45mm, for 4 days ago and I LOVE it, now Im looking for 35mm and the 90mm lens.

Regards

Em
Hi Em. I meant the G2 databack can print estimated aperture and shutter speed, for each frame. Here is more info:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DaoW&tag=

Back