Which Fuji X series 16MP body ?

Ste_S

Well-known
Local time
3:26 AM
Looking to buy a Fuji 16MP body second hand as an entry into the X series. Will be buying the 23mm f2 and using adapted 35 and 50mm Nikkor glass initially.
I think I probably want a rangefinder style body, and always find a pop up
Flash useful.

X-E2 then ? Or is there anything else I should be considering ?

X-E1 or X-M1. They are a cheap entry in the system.

I am using my X-M1 all the time since years. No need to "upgrade" ;)

X-E2 is your camera. It has everything you want coupled with an adequate EVF For manual focus and decent autofocus. Anything cheaper (or older) is not a compromise worth accepting...meaning primitive AF and EVF or no EVF at all.

The only other option you can consider that will match it is the X-T10 or X-T20, but those aren't rangefinder shaped.

why not original XPro? these can be had cheap nowadays, and Fuji did lot of software updates to get most of this model.

why not original XPro? these can be had cheap nowadays, and Fuji did lot of software updates to get most of this model.

Not the best idea for manual focus lenses. The evf is primitive-and the focusing aids are too. The AF is slower too.

It depends where you come from. And what you want.
The viewfinders and the autofocus of the first series of Fuji X devices are quiet good useable.

The next generation was better.

But if the intention is "better" there will be a lot of alternatives - always.

While I adore the X Pro OVF, I also recommend the XE-2.

The XE-2 is one generation ahead of the X-Pro 1. The second generation increases sensor signal-to-noise ratio and offers superior focusing. The former is important to both high dynamic range and low light scenes. The second generation cameras have much faster internal CPUs which supports more sophisticated focusing algorithms.

The X-T2 has an articulated rear LCD screen which means it can be used as a waist-level view camera. The articulated screen is also useful for tripod work. The X-T2 supports a vertical battery grip with two more batteries. So, if the EVF hump is not an aesthetic issue, the X-T2 is worth a look.

^X-T2 is however the 24MP sensor.

I would also recommend the XE-2, it's the body I keep on coming back when I'm itching to shoot Fuji. XE-1 is good too for native Fuji lenses but EVF is not the best for manual focusing, do-able but not quick.

What about the X-T1?

I'll agree on the XE2 or XE2S--both are essentially the same if you do the firmware update to the XE2. Some Fuji users still love the look of the XE1 and that might be a bargain choice.

While I'm an XPro guy, it's because I love OVFs. I never got on with the XE series due to that reason but its EVF is much better for manual focus lenses.

Looking to buy a Fuji 16MP body second hand as an entry into the X series. Will be buying the 23mm f2 and using adapted 35 and 50mm Nikkor glass initially.
I think I probably want a rangefinder style body, and always find a pop up
Flash useful.

When I was looking for a Fuji 16MP rangefinder style body that was similar to my Leica and Contax film rangefinders, I selected the Fuji X-Pro1. Since my film rangefinders did not have a pop up flash, I did not mind that the X-Pro1 did not have one.

I initially used adapted 24mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor manual focus lenses but quickly replaced them with 23mm and 56mm Fuji auto focus glass.

Contax G1, Fuji X-Pro1, Leica M6 by Narsuitus, on Flickr

It depends where you come from. And what you want.
The viewfinders and the autofocus of the first series of Fuji X devices are quiet good useable.

The next generation was better.

But if the intention is "better" there will be a lot of alternatives - always.

But those of us who have used every generation know the differences and are steering the OP in the direction of the best performance and value. The OP already had the X-E2 In mind. The X-Pro1 was a great camera but not the best for his needs.

But those of us who have used every generation know the differences and are steering the OP in the direction of the best performance and value. The OP already had the X-E2 In mind. The X-Pro1 was a great camera but not the best for his needs.

Sure I have used the different generations, too.

I think there is less need for "steering".
I would appreciate if you could accept that I have a slight different opinion ;)

X-E2 then ? Or is there anything else I should be considering ?

Since the original poster asked if there is anything else that should be considered, I see nothing wrong with the variety of suggestions posted in this thread.

Sorry I offended you guys. However, the OP is asking for opinions and steering no? I just think the X-E2 is going to do what he wants better than the X-Pro1. I like the X-Pro1 better too, but I don’t use manual focus lenses. If I did, it would not be my choice.

I chose the X-E2s/27mm as my introduction to digital overall mostly because of the deep discount on the kit just prior to the launch of the X-E3. I had missed a similar "great deal" on X-Pro1s previously and have pined for one ever since, even though the XE-2 is excellent for my needs, so I get Steve's mixed feelings.

I wonder if the advantages of the EVF on the XEs for manual focus matter as much as other suggest. If you zone focus film rangefinders, you can just as easily do that with the X-Pro1 and the Nikkors so it may not make that much difference compared to the XE. The XE-2s are small and a bit fiddly to handle, so the X-Pro1 would give a more rangefinder experience that Steve's looking for. I wouldn't discount it because of manual focus weaknesses.

I think the X-E2 is a great choice. I also prefer the X-Pro1 but it is not great for focusing manual lenses. I use both AF and MF on my X-Pro1 and I usually zone focus when I have an old Yashica lens on it! If you have lots of time to squint then the EVF does work fine...

The X-E2 is also a tidy package compared to the X-Pro1

I wonder if the advantages of the EVF on the XEs for manual focus matter as much as other suggest.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the X-E2 has the split image mode (where two images converge to show you reached focusing) that will be familiar to RF users... and also has better focus peaking (with 3 colors). So, really, it depends on what you want to accomplish. The EVF really lags in low light too on the X-E1... where it doesn't as much on the X-E2.

In regards to AF, I will add that the X-E2 also has phase detect AF. The X-E1 only has slower contrast detect.

If you zone focus film rangefinders, you can just as easily do that with the X-Pro1 and the Nikkors so it may not make that much difference compared to the XE.

True, but with the 35mm and 50mm being 50 and 75mm equivalents, zone focus isn't going to be that easy.

The XE-2s are small and a bit fiddly to handle, so the X-Pro1 would give a more rangefinder experience that Steve's looking for. I wouldn't discount it because of manual focus weaknesses.

I prefer the feel of the X-Pro as well, but the X-E series isn't that small and how fiddly can a camera with shutter speed dial and d-pad be? It isn't like it is Sony RX100 sized...it is Leica CL sized.

Thanks for all the replies folks, very helpful.

Out of interest, if I wasn’t going to be using adapted manual focus lenses, would people still recommend the X-E2 over the X-Pro 1 ?

Back