Which Fuji X series 16MP body ?

First of all the X-Pro is a different concept when it comes to size and optical viewfinder.
Image-wise I couldn´t discover much differences. If you prefer a quicker autofocus the X-E2
is a better bang for the buck. The X-E2 feels a bit more "snappy" regarding the handling.

I can't speak for the xe2. I had an xe1 and xpro1. I got them originally for manual focus of legacy lenses. I found the xe1 especially bad for reasons others have given. But the xpro1 was also a struggle and quite frustrating - boils down to the fact that you can't focus legacy lenses with the OVF and the other options are horrible (EVF, LCD - I don't see the point of buying a camera like this and zone focusing).

I ended up buying 18 and 27 Fuji lenses, and at that point the xpro1 really shines using AF with the OVF . I didn't have an issue with focus speed or accuracy, with the latest firmware.

I think the main problem with the xpro1 is likely to be finding one that isn't well worn at this point.

If I was mainly into manual focus legacy lenses, I'd go for an xt of some sort (much bigger/better viewfinder) or an a7 (which is what I did).

If I wanted a cheap RF-like experience in digital, I'd go xpro1 if I could find a decent one, or xpro2. There's also the X100 series of course, but they don't scream rangefinder as much as the xpro1 does.

Thanks for all the replies folks, very helpful.

Out of interest, if I wasn’t going to be using adapted manual focus lenses, would people still recommend the X-E2 over the X-Pro 1 ?

It really depends on what you’re going to photograph and if the quicker autofocus of the X-E2 would benefit you. The X-Pro1 has a premium camera feel. It was $700 more new. I think I like the output from the X-Pro1 better too. The thing is that you can buy either one and if you don’t like it, sell it for the same price you bought it for.

If you were not going to use manual focus lenses, I would recommend the XPro1 but only if you can live with a fixed diopter. The viewfinder in the XP1 was the sore spot for me. My vision is pretty poor and I wear progressive lenses. With the XP1, I continually had to remember to find the "sweet spot" in my eyeglasses to see through the finder. Plus the "sweet spot" was different for the OVF and the EVF. Other than that, I have no problem recommending the XP1. I still use the XP1 occasionally but the XP2 was an improvement for me because it has an adjustable diopter.

People seem to forget about the XT-1. Superior viewfinder to the X-E2 and a better handling camera imo. Also some weather sealing and a very comfortable grip.

People seem to forget about the XT-1. Superior viewfinder to the X-E2 and a better handling camera imo. Also some weather sealing and a very comfortable grip.

Because the OP said he probably wants the rangefinder shape.

^X-T2 is however the 24MP sensor.

I would also recommend the XE-2, it's the body I keep on coming back when I'm itching to shoot Fuji. XE-1 is good too for native Fuji lenses but EVF is not the best for manual focusing, do-able but not quick.

What about the X-T1?

I know.

The X-T1 has a slower in-camera CPU. This affects AF p[performance.

When you mention manual focus do you mean adapted lenses? I don't hav e any experience with this. I suspect the X-T2's improved EVF and more sophisticated AF would make a difference. The improvements in performance is well worth whatever concerns one may have about using 24 MP images.

After using an XE-1 with manual legacy lenses for about 6-7 years, a LOT, I just upgraded to an X-T2. I will finally buy a Fujinon autofocus lens with it. But I've done lots of focusing with the XE-1, you can learn it. I shoot some big lenses (Canon 1.2, etc) and big hoods. I figure they would intrude into the optical viewfinder, so went with the X-T2. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Having owned X-Pro1 and X-E2 (and X-T2) I will say that X-Pro1 not having WiFi actually turned out to be a really big deal for me personally and led to me letting it go. If I were coming into the system new, this would be very important for someone to point out to me.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: I accept that not everyone cares about WiFI for posting photos on the go, so please don't excoriate me if this is not something you care about.

-Mick

Back