which is more 'practical'?

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
2:28 PM
thinking about getting another camera body...wondering how owners of the xpro2 and the xh1 view the differences in style and function? is one more practical than the other...i am drawn to the ibis of the xh1 but love the body style of the xpro2.

Aside from whether you will find the viewfinder placement on the left side of the camera, I would suggest that the main consideration is whether having a hybrid (but more specifically) having the OVF is something that is important to you. I primarily shoot with primes, and coming from Leica, the OVF is what draws me to the X Pro 2 over the other cameras in the Fuji line-up.

I suppose if I was shooting a lot with the 16-55 coupled with a longer zoom, I'd consider the larger body of the XH-1.

David

With the fact that you want to use the 16-80mm, the X-H1 might be the better option. I find the RF shaped cameras are better suited to RF sized lenses. However, you are an X-E fan and have used big lenses on small bodies... so the xpro2 isn’t that small.

never said that i 'need' another body...

You never do, but you always do........

XH1 seem to be on fire sale down here in the states. Might be worthy of a try.

My read is this was as small a body as the Fuji engineers could fit IBIS into at the time. Odds are by now they have a smaller solution working and it will be in the next generation bodies as they trickle out.

B2 (;->

Considering the number of people on these forums who collect old film bodies for enjoyment, I'd say wanting a new camera body for enjoyment is a pretty damn good reason.

I love the XPro2. I now have three of them. They may be my favorite cameras ever. But...

IBIS is nice. The XH1 is selling at a really good price right now. The center viewfinder does feel more natural with a zoom (at least to me).

But...

I still prefer the XPro2 with the small 'cronish prime lenses. FWIW.

at this point in my life photography is more a hobby than anything else...i prefer to enjoy it...
Then don't worry about practicality. Unless you enjoy practicality.

There is an x pro 2 on kijiji that has been there for awhile... price isn't bad but there might be some wiggle room...

Hi Joe. I use the X-Pro1 and the XH1. The XH1 is my new favorite! I use it with Fuji primes and zooms. The big 'pluses' the XH1 provides for me are the truly lovely feel and sound of the shutter (makes the XPro1 sound like a cannon), the IBIS (which I find most useful when using adapted lenses), the tilting rear screen (I like to photograph things from odd perspectives and the tilting screen saves my knees and back), and the little top LCD screen.

I find that the XH1 pushes my photographic interests into new areas. The XE and XPro bodies lead me out onto the streets; the XH1 leads me to landscape. Love it! And the current price is amazing. I read somewhere that the low price might be a result of something like the Leica M5-effect.

Hi Joe. I use the X-Pro1 and the XH1. The XH1 is my new favorite! I use it with Fuji primes and zooms. The big 'pluses' the XH1 provides for me are the truly lovely feel and sound of the shutter (makes the XPro1 sound like a cannon), the IBIS (which I find most useful when using adapted lenses), the tilting rear screen (I like to photograph things from odd perspectives and the tilting screen saves my knees and back), and the little top LCD screen.

I find that the XH1 pushes my photographic interests into new areas. The XE and XPro bodies lead me out onto the streets; the XH1 leads me to landscape. Love it! And the current price is amazing. I read somewhere that the low price might be a result of something like the Leica M5-effect.

i read that too! the ibis is a strong pull for me though i was thinking of mating the new, incoming 16-80 lens which has it built into the lens. slightly bigger body for a somewhat bigger lens.

i read that too! the ibis is a strong pull for me though i was thinking of mating the new, incoming 16-80 lens which has it built into the lens. slightly bigger body for a somewhat bigger lens.
I don't find Fuji lens OIS all that helpful. If you want image stabilization, I think the better choice is IBIS.

Longer zooms the EVF is more useful but I loved the 18-55 with the OVF. Same advantage there in that you can see outside of the frame with the advantage of being able to adjust the frame (zoom) extremely quickly without swapping lenses.

Shawn

Practicality Depends On Your Goals

Practicality Depends On Your Goals

The X-Pro 2 provides a classical film rangefinder experience when one use the OVF. with Fujinon prime lenses.

I use the X-Pro 2 as I used my Zeiss Ikon M body. Likewise I use the X-100T as I used my Canonet G-III QL17.

So, the hybrid viewfinder FUJIFILM bodies are more practical for me because I enjoy operating those cameras as I operated my RF cameras.

By contrast, when I was doing interiors photography gigs I used the X-T2 with the 10-24/4. The camera was always on a tripod. This was extremely practical because the the X-T2's articulated LCD screen meant the camera could be used as one would use a film camera with viewfinder on top. The light weight and small size was another practical aspect of this set up. The dynamic range and technical IQ were also practical. The result was I spent less time on site and less time on most-production compared to using using the a NIKON DSLR with the top of the line Nikkor 16-35 lens.

I never had stabilization for my RF cameras so I never missed it on my hybrid viewfinder FUJIFILM bodies. The typical camera heights I used for interiors photography required a tripod (identical vertical perspectives were less confusing for the clients and viewers). Obviously, I am not a videographer. Videographers and photographers who value hand-held stability would certainly find the X-H1 more practical.

Have there been any rumors of the X Pro 3 having IBS? That would seem to be the answer to your problem, but then you have to wait.........

Back