Which is your favorite FSU "normal lens" and why?

Which is your favorite FSU "normal lens" and why?

• Industar 22 (50mm f3.5)

Votes: 38 6.9%
  • Industar 50 (50mm f3.5)

Votes: 29 5.2%
  • Industar 26 (52mm f2.8)

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Industar 61 (52mm f2.8)

Votes: 91 16.5%
  • Jupiter 8 (50mm f2.0)

Votes: 249 45.0%
  • Jupiter 3 (50mm f1.5)

Votes: 146 26.4%
  • other

Votes: 38 6.9%

• Total voters
First of all I can not pass with attention some great russian lens which were built not for rangefinders but are still great lens:
1. T-22 - a wonderful Cooke triplet wich I used to have on my scale focusing Smena 8m 20 years ago.
I'll second that. The Smena's lens has a nice charm to it. I'd count it as a rangefinder, though, because I use the BLIK add-on. But even with hyperfocal shooting, it's a surprisingly good little camera.

attachment.php

Attachments

• smenablack_0020.jpg
    smenablack_0020.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1

A quick breath of life into this thread ... just purchased an Industar-26 50mm F2.8 lens from a fellow RFF member, and was quite surprised at the quality of this glass.

Here's a sample with Fuji Superia 400:

6001216584_70794dd047_z.jpg

There were some other decent shots on this test roll, although I found the I-26 lens tended to flare when hit by oblique light, either from direct rays or diffused sunlight ... that was a bit disappointing. When the lens was used with the light source behind me, the photos all turned out very well. No flaring, and good colour + contrast. I suppose I'll have to dig up or make some sort of hood for this FSU lens to get the most utility out of it.

In terms of my fave FSU lenses, I'd still have to say the Jupiter-12, the Industar-52, and the Helios-103 have been the best performers for me overall.

Last edited:
I favor my Jupiter 8 chrome

I favor my Jupiter 8 chrome

It's Sharp, Contrasty, Focuses easily, and functions smoothly, but no slack.

But the most important reason I favor it, is because it's the only FSU lens I have for my Kneb Kiev. Why muddy the water with multiple selections.

My favorite Russian lens- Jupiter-3 made from parts. New front element from Valdai J-3, 1955 KMZ optics module, Black J-3 focus mount.

Wide-open at F1.5, on the Leica M8.

Better late then never... The menopta and Helios-103 on the Nikon RF, undo the set screws and back off 1/2 turn. Tighten, and done.

I own two, a collapsible 50 3.5 (Industar-50) and a Sonnar 50 1.5 (Jupiter-3), both made in the mid 50's by KMZ.

I like both very much. The I-50 is used for direct sun at around f/11 and 1/250 in general... Obviously, collapsed it's as compact as it gets on my IIIF for carrying... It also has very nice bokeh (!) at 3.5 when focused close, something that took me by surprise, but it's a nice plus...

My J3 is the lens I'm using the most some time ago... When it's not a sunny day, I use it... It's my favorite FSU lens because it's fast and really small, a lot more than I expected... But the most important reasons are: it has low contrast being sharp, with beautiful bokeh, and it's incredibly light... I don't know if all J3's from all manufacturers and decades are that light, but I'm amazed... Almost a joke!

I use it with ISO400 film at 200, and keep an ND9 on it, so for the highest soft light, I shoot at 1/2000 f/1.5, and below that I can use it (until 1/60 without ND) for light up to 8 stops lower, so I can use 1.5 for anything I want, everywhere... When there's direct sun and I want selective focus, I just put it on a light Bessa T body I carry with cap just for sun with the J3, with Acros, and I expose it at 1/2000 f/1.5 with orange filter without metering.

A really enjoyable lens...

Cheers,

Juan

Last edited:
J-3 all the way. My '83 and I bonded after being Sweeneyfied. I took it a step further, when finally feeling confident enough and adjusted it to my particular camera. I also made a minor improvement by painting the the first lens's edge black and repainting the the second block as well. I feel that this has cut down on internal reflections a bit - hopefully boosting contrast.

at 1.5
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfischer/4540646854/] Ciana by jamesfischer, on Flickr[/URL]

at 2.8
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfischer/4542222816/] adriane by jamesfischer, on Flickr[/URL]

also at 2.8
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfischer/4665176798/] olivia and adriane by jamesfischer, on Flickr[/URL]

another at 1.5, showing how well it can resolve wide-open
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfischer/4542334214/] michael by jamesfischer, on Flickr[/URL]

Of the two FSU lenses I own, I prefer the I-26M over the I-22 more for operating purposes. I like the fact that I can use the filter set from my Contax, instead of having to get clamp-ons for the I-22. And it looks realy good mounted on my Zorki 1D. Other than the flaring from pointing towards the sun, it performs as well as the I-22, and gives me another stop of exposure. A vented hood, and a clip-on cap completes the package. But I do like the I-22 for it's collapsing design, and the look it gives to the picture on a cloudy day.

PF

Not a lens for rangefinder, but Russian nevertheless.
The humble Helios 58 f/2 (44M4), in low contrast scenes, i just love the results.
2854584280_eccd5698b5_z.jpg

2831918924_2601f739dc_z.jpg

I use three optical A52 50 MM I used about 7 Jupiter 8 on my 6 zork I kept one on my Kiev I found a fabulous view, excellent rendering for low prix.je just bought Jupiter 3, 1957 a completely wedged and greased for use on a Leica I got a good price, the current rates rise. Industar 22 an a very good optics. I hesitated between a 3 and a jupiter for my Helios kiev, I think now choose the helios 103

I prefer Industar-22 or 50 lenses to Jupiter-8 due to their greater resolving power. I use Jupiter-8 mostly for portraits.

I voted the J-3, but also own the I-22, I-50 and Helios-103, all are very nice, and I'd like to mention also the quite rare FED Makro 50mm 3.5 ( pricey,like a J-3).

Can I just say my Helios 103 is super sharp, and also the Helios 44M-4 in M42 is amazing as well, I in the process of comparing the Helios 44M-4 with my CZ T* 1.7 mounted on a Contax 137 the Helios using an M42 adapter, I will post results when I am done.

Back