Which Leica is the best for street photography?

MP is the best all round Leica for me. The M3/M2 are almost as good all-round; tougher to use in social situations when you need to whip put a meter, though ;)

When i got my Hassey 500 C/M, i decided to try some street photography with it as well. My experience with the camera so far is that people hardly take notice of me. Perhaps it's becoz i'm always looking down at my camera (thru the waist-level finder) and they're not quite sure what i'm doing. And certainly, the Hassey is not quiet - but it doesn't seem to be a problem or get in the way of street photography.

Well, it's a huge chunk to carry around though as compared to a Leica or a Bessa.

Same experience here ... the Hassy is loud but it is a lower frequency range noise, not as easy to locate as higher frequency range noise.

500 C/M + Planar 80/2.8

2498108237_d0ce90d77a.jpg

For street-photography, any M-Leica will do. M4-2, M4-P, M6 (classic) are all not to old and not to expensive (and you would be less feared making scratches....)

The least obtrusive camera is a Rolleiflex TLR, IMHO. Very silent shutter and no need to bring the camera to your eye-level.

to reiterate the original question... here is an example of an indoor shot i took, unnoticed, with the GRD2 (28mm). is there a film camera that i could get away with this?

Love the shot cam!

You could probably take shots like this with most Leicas. They are all discrete...or as somebody commented to me the other day 'quaint!'

I own an M7...quiet shutter, no viewfinder flare, but most importantly AE. Of course it's expensive but in my opinion the best camera I have ever used.

I use an M7 and agree with the other posts that the AE is a big help.

A lot of my street shots have been taken with a Minilux, though. Sometimes, looking like a tourist with a "amateur" camera is enough to give you a cloak of invisibility. :)

I use an M7 and agree with the other posts that the AE is a big help.

A lot of my street shots have been taken with a Minilux, though. Sometimes, looking like a tourist with a "amateur" camera is enough to give you a cloak of invisibility. :)

Yeah, I've used my Minilux too for the same purpose. But sometimes my MP gets lonely if I at least don't bring her along.

Sitting here scanning film from India & nepal from 94/95. Travelled with one M2, one summicron 50, lots of Fuji sensia, and finally a sekonic light meter.

When really getting into shooting this way, it was probably the best. I also like seeing the area around the 50 in the finder, and also not having anything more than the frame of the 50 showing.

Also great that the VF patch disappears when you put a finger in front, makes it easier to concentrate on the image itself...

Back