Which SLR for travel ? Help my decision

Joao

Negativistic forever
Local time
2:53 PM
Hello

I will be travelling to central Europe (Czech and Poland) next week. Will be using Kodak Portra 400, no flash, mostly daylight photos (daylight times: Sunrise at 8.00 AM, Sunset at 4.00 PM). Temperatures 0ºC to 5ºC (probably needing to wear gloves). Mostly city walking.

I will take only one of these two cameras (with 50 mm lenses, f =1:1,4):

• Olympus OM2n with Zuiko lens
  • Pentax Spotmatic f with Super Takumar SMC
The Olympus is around 100 gr lighter. But otherwise do you see any reasons to choose one or the other ??? I must add that I am quite acquainted with both models.

In my shoes, which one would you take - and why ??

Regards
Joao

My post was duplicated 1 hour ago , I don't know why. Something wrong I did??

Back on topic : the OM2 is lighter (100gr) and smaller, but if I will be wearing gloves , as I probably will, dealing with the camera dials might be not so easy.
​​​

What are you going to shoot? Do you need automation?

the OM is also smaller and quieter. I would choose OM for quick street work and Pentax for pretty much everything else.

20221201_184016.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20221201_184016.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.9 KB ID:	4811200

20221201_184030.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20221201_184030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.8 KB ID:	4811201

Both are wonderful cameras; the size and weight differences are inconsequential. Assuming there are no reliability issues, it all comes down to which lens you like better. In particular, which has the preferred rendering wide open? Traveling with minimal equipment, and probably without a tripod, you may well need to squeak off a shot in borderline conditions. The wide-open performance is critical in that situation.
Actually, on second thought, finder brightness and vibration might be issues under those conditions, too. But the lens, as always, is key.

I would pick the Pentax...bigger, easier to use with gloves on and still usable if the battery dies from the cold...

Good reasoning. It may be easier to adjust shutter, aperture, and focus with the Pentax than with the Olympus when using gloves.

Thank you for your input.
Concerning lenses, it happens that I like both...Everytime I pick one of them, I keep thinking if I should have taken the other. I am used to live with this.
I intend to shoot mainly outside, cityscapes, taking my time - not classic street photography. I may shoot indoors if there is enough available light . I expect to find overcast skies, some rain, maybe light snow.
The possibility of electrical failure is an important point - it will have some weight in my decision..
Regards
João

Well, I would include Argyle socks even though National Argyle Day isn’t until January 8th. One must be dignified whilst traveling.

Both are wonderful cameras; the size and weight differences are inconsequential. Assuming there are no reliability issues, it all comes down to which lens you like better. In particular, which has the preferred rendering wide open? Traveling with minimal equipment, and probably without a tripod, you may well need to squeak off a shot in borderline conditions. The wide-open performance is critical in that situation.
Actually, on second thought, finder brightness and vibration might be issues under those conditions, too. But the lens, as always, is key.

I don't imagine rendering wide open should be that different. They're both planar designs, no? They probably wouldn't look the same but close enough, no?.

Also, why is battery dependency an issue? How much does carrying a spare battery weigh? How likely is the Olympus to fail if it hasn't in all the time you've had it?

Well, I would include Argyle socks even though National Argyle Day isn’t until January 8th. One must be dignified whilst traveling.

Choosing socks for me is easy; mine are all the same type and color. Well, I do have one special pair of black socks for weddings and funerals. They should last long enough for my funeral.

Mike

Also, why is battery dependency an issue? How much does carrying a spare battery weigh? How likely is the Olympus to fail if it hasn't in all the time you've had it?

Cold weather drains batteries. The 0ºC to 5ºC temps mentioned in the OP (that's 32-41ºF) are possibly optimistic for Poland at this time of year - it's likely to be colder than that in some parts of the country. Even if you have a spare tucked inside your coat, it may drain quite quickly when installed into the camera if it's cold enough.

That said, if the Spotmatic isn't in great shape, you could find the shutter tapering in the cold, too. I've had experienced both problems in a snowy north European winter in the past.

Even without gloves I have trouble finding the shutter speed ring quickly on both my OM cameras and Nikkormats. I suppose it’s a matter of familiarity.

Although the Olympus is indeed smaller; the Pentax isn't exactly "big" either. I don't see a real advantage to one over the other.

I'd probably examine each one of them, paying special attention to the glass, and get the cleaner one of the two.

Back