Which SLR has best autorewind sound?

what painful timing - my wife has me hanging around roller derby lately, which moves WAY too fast for me with....any camera I own. my LTMs are hopeless, and my SLRs at the moment are an FM2n and a Pentax 67II. having tried both, it's actually nearly a draw!

so I took a trip to the localish shop that's got both F100's and F5's at the moment. DAMN that F5 is nice! a shop a mile down the road has an F6 listed in their online inventory, but I'm trying hard to stay away.

the F100 was a bit too much like my wife's N80 in some ways, but the F5 really does feel 2 generations better than my old F3P.

and that sweet sound..... a bit quiet, but very nice. still confused by the original topic though - we're talking wind, not rewind, right?

I'm pretty sure the 'movie sound' (also the music video sound) predates the f5 - sounds like an F3/MD-4 to me. maybe an MK-1 firing rate converter - possibly the coolest named accessory ever - to tweak the frame rate as needed.

I love the sound of my F5 winding. But it's NOT the classic chik-whine that you hear in the movies. Way too fast for that, after all the F5 can shoot 8 FPS. It sounds more like firing a .22 caliber rifle: BAK-shik. I have an old, third party winder for my OM1n that DOES sound like the movie sound. But I never use it. But if I ever wanted to sound like a photographer, that's what I'd use.

what painful timing - my wife has me hanging around roller derby lately, which moves WAY too fast for me with....any camera I own. my LTMs are hopeless, and my SLRs at the moment are an FM2n and a Pentax 67II. having tried both, it's actually nearly a draw!

so I took a trip to the localish shop that's got both F100's and F5's at the moment. DAMN that F5 is nice! a shop a mile down the road has an F6 listed in their online inventory, but I'm trying hard to stay away.

the F100 was a bit too much like my wife's N80 in some ways, but the F5 really does feel 2 generations better than my old F3P.

and that sweet sound..... a bit quiet, but very nice. still confused by the original topic though - we're talking wind, not rewind, right?

Yeah, I feel your pain. I miss my F5...it was such an experience! But, then, that F6 is something I have tried not to think about and that F100, I should have bought years ago... Arrrrggghhh.

And, yes, I meant to talk about advancement of film but was so tired, I typed in rewind. But, some posts have reminded me that both sound really cool!

I love it when someone hears the advance lever being stroked on the Leica M3 and R4 but it is really something cool when they hear the film being advanced on an film camera with motor drive!!!:)

You know what I mean...nothing beats the sound of a precision auto rewind of film. It is so beautiful that movie makers continue to have the sound in films where the actors are using digital cameras!:)

So, which SLR has the best sound?

I'm deeply disappointed that this isn't a poll.

My Canon T70 has the perfect Hollywood cliché CHK-CHEEEEEEEEEEZK. I love it, even if the volume makes the camera sort of bad for street photography.

My EOS 3 is pretty extreme. It sounds like you could loose a finger in there if you could get one in. Got to be a contender for sound quantity if not quality.

My N6000 has a great auto-wind sound. Loud and obnoxious...

Sooo..which sound do you all prefer?

Duran Duran's "Girls on Film"

or

J. Geills "Freeze Frame"?

Girls on Film.

1. Better song
2. Better video
3. The camera is actually being use in continuous mode where you NEED autowind.
4. The camera shown is an SLR that uses an autowinder. Freeze Frame shows a press camera that doesn't make that kind of noise.

Another vote for the F100. Nice sound, not as grating as the F4's sound. Not too loud either, if there's a decent level of background noise, the camera is quiet enough for people to not know that I've taken a photo.

Back