Which Sony for frustrated M9 User?

nightfly

Well-known
Local time
11:13 PM
So my M9 is going back again for sensor issues and I'm seriously considering a full frame Sony to augment or replace it at least for travel.

However their product line is pretty confusing and I'm not really sure what I want/need.

I probably would use it with a few Zeiss lenses 35 (Sonnar or Loxia), the 55 that everyone raves about, and perhaps even (shudder) a zoom. While traveling I'm thinking a zoom would be nice if it's not too much of a sacrifice in image quality. Probably a short zoom that isn't super fast to keep weight down.

I might end up adapting my Leica lenses a 35mm Summicron and 50mm Summicron and a 135, but I'd probably rather take advantage of the newer lenses in similar focal lengths.

Know the system isn't remotely M like in use but at this point, I'm really more concerned with image quality and not coming back from a trip to discover lines on all my photos.

So it looks like my choices would be:

A7II - pretty cheap, 24megapixels
A7RII- reasonable, 42 megapixels
A7RIII- on the expensive side, 42 megaixels

I will never use the video function so anything related to that is of no interest to me.

Really I'd like a Hassleblad X1D but that's not in the cards, although megapixel wise the A7r's are close. Not sure if that really translates to that medium format quality though.

It seems like the non-R's are lighter which is attractive.

Thinking I'd probably use these in a more automatic mode, aperture priority and let them do everything else, rather than try to emulate the way I use my M9 and be frustrated.

What do knowing Sony users recommend?

I tend to look at digital cameras as a computer on which to attach a lens. As such my inclination is to by the latest iteration and hold onto it for a long time. That being said have a look at the A7111 which seems like it should be more than adequate to do the job.

I have the A7s and the A7r2 , I use my M lenses , Zeiss lenses and even my Canon tele on both.
I refer the smaller A7s .
Lighter ,slimmer and although only 12mp , lovely files .

As an A7 II user I have a few comments to make:

50mm and above M lenses generally work fine on the Sony A7 series cameras if you dont expect absolutely perfect corner sharpness.

The 35 summicron however looks really bad to unusable in the corners.

So at least at wide angle focal length you will want to use a sony/Zeiss lens.

If you can afford it, the series III improvements should bei well worth it. Otherwise A7 II's are cheap right now.

Take your time to setup your camera and and the menu should not be bothering you to much. Good luck!

They all have excellent IQ, just a matter of price vs resolution and speed. I use an A7-II, only use with adapted lenses, have no use for the speed of the A7-III or the resolution of the RII, 24mp is plenty.

Original A7 with lenses:

One kit to rule them all
by Johan Niels Kuiper, on Flickr

ºSony A7
ºTamron Adaptall 17mm 3.5 (type 51B)
ºCanon TS 35mm 2.8 S.S.C.
ºCanon FD 50mm 1.2L
ºCanon FD 85mm 1.2L
ºCanon FD 135mm 2.0

And I use the same camera with a Canon FD 50mm 3.5 macro lens on FD bellows to shoot my Leica II B&W negatives.

Former M8 and M9 owner here - I haven't handled it yet, but I'd consider the A7 III because it uses the new higher-capacity battery, but there really are no bad choices with the A7- and A9-series cameras I think. Newer cameras are almost freakishly quick and quiet.But do yourself a favor and buy a 3rd party battery charger (I use Watson as sold by B&H Photo), because Sony only gives you a USB cable.

That's a nice kit Johan.
I use an A7ii with mostly Nikon manual focus glass, but I do have adapters for Minolta and Leica too.
I enjoy the IBIS a lot as I can shoot in very dark conditions without worry of camera shake.
Take a look at this site: https://www.talkemount.com/
to see what other Sony users are doing.

I have a Sony battery charger and don't charge 'in camera' ever.

let me preface by saying i'm not a pixel peeper. as long as the corners aren't mush, i don't mind a little softness.

i picked up an original A7 a few weeks ago. have been using it with various M-mount lenses from 35mm to 135mm. no issues at all, really like the way the files convert to B&W.

the original A7 is a bargain ($800 new). if you have small to medium size hands, it'll be great. if you have big mitts, you may want to consider the A7II.

also, invest in a quality adapter. i use the Novoflex M to FE. they run about $200, but the quality is top notch. no need to worry about wobble, light-leaks, etc.

Former M8 and M9 owner here - I haven't handled it yet, but I'd consider the A7 III because it uses the new higher-capacity battery, but there really are no bad choices with the A7- and A9-series cameras I think. Newer cameras are almost freakishly quick and quiet.But do yourself a favor and buy a 3rd party battery charger (I use Watson as sold by B&H Photo), because Sony only gives you a USB cable.

this 3rd party adapter has been working like an absolute charm:

RavPower Adapter on Amazon

just use the AC adapter included with the camera to plug the adapter into the wall. No more USB charging!

I have a Sony battery charger and don't charge 'in camera' ever.

are you saying it is a bad idea to charge in camera?
i love this feature and use it all the time, especially when travelling.

A7RIII has one of the nicest EVF, behind only from the Leica SL and ahead of the Fuji X-T2.
Have you considered the A7III?

Had the A7RII and while great, I downgraded back to the original A7 as didn't need any of the new features that newer Sony cameras provided.
IS would be handy but I can live without it.

I'm guess I'm not all the clear on the distinctions between the A7 series and the A7R (or S for that matter). More than just number of pixels?

As far as the 24 vs 42 mp sensor, is the look of the image any different or is it just more pixels in same size sensor?

Guess my question is, I do like the medium format look (have a Mamiya 7 and had a 6 before) and actually really like what I've seen from the sensor in the Hassleblad X1D and Pentax 645z. Does the higher MP sensor approach that look or is it just the same as the lower MP sensor with more freedom to print bigger?

More a subjective question than technical.

are you saying it is a bad idea to charge in camera?
i love this feature and use it all the time, especially when travelling.

A7RIII has one of the nicest EVF, behind only from the Leica SL and ahead of the Fuji X-T2.
Have you considered the A7III?

I have read too many stories about batteries having problems while charging in-camera to risk it. Why take the chance of the battery swelling or having some other problem while charging? If it's out of the camera only the battery suffers and possibly the charger too. At least it isn't going to take out the camera too.

I would love to be able to consider the A7iii, but since I'm now retired and on a limited income I'll just have to put up with the A7ii for now. It, along with my Nex-7, keeps me satisfied.

I'm guess I'm not all the clear on the distinctions between the A7 series and the A7R (or S for that matter). More than just number of pixels?

As far as the 24 vs 42 mp sensor, is the look of the image any different or is it just more pixels in same size sensor?

Guess my question is, I do like the medium format look (have a Mamiya 7 and had a 6 before) and actually really like what I've seen from the sensor in the Hassleblad X1D and Pentax 645z. Does the higher MP sensor approach that look or is it just the same as the lower MP sensor with more freedom to print bigger?

More a subjective question than technical.

I'd suggest you look at the talkemount site I linked to above to see what the guys there are getting out of their A7Rii's.
I'd like one, I think, but my computer doesn't need to be taxed with the file sizes involved. I'm basically a SOOC type shooter, if that helps any.

let me preface by saying i'm not a pixel peeper. as long as the corners aren't mush, i don't mind a little softness.

i picked up an original A7 a few weeks ago. have been using it with various M-mount lenses from 35mm to 135mm. no issues at all, really like the way the files convert to B&W.

I use mine with a 28 Summicron up to a 135 Elmarit and beyond ..... I must admit that I haven`t noticed anything untoward.

I had the A7 body and used it with Leica R and some M lenses. When I got the Leica M-P typ 240, I found that the image quality with the same (Leica) lenses was just much much better in every way. I sold the A7.

I suppose that if you buy the premium Sony lenses the A7 would work better, and that later iterations of the A7 might also mete an improvement. But I disliked the A7 body enough that I really had no interest in seeing whether any of the later models actually improved on it.

The M-P typ 240 and M-D typ 262 work beautifully for me, far better than the M9 or A7 did, and have been 100% reliable and flawless. Same for the Leica SL.

I'd like a Hasselblad X1D also, but if I bought one of those it would replace both the Ms and the SL at this point in time. And I'm not sure I'm ready to make that big a leap. Yet. :)

G

I have a friend with the II and the III and she finds the menu baffling, the lenses heavy and the image quality superb. Name your poison.

I have a friend with the II and the III and she finds the menu baffling, the lenses heavy and the image quality superb. Name your poison.

:D

No menu here, which is indeed very counter-intuitive. I have shutter speed, ISO, focus zoom programmed to buttons and wheels, and the aperture is on the lens with Canon FD glass. Only use the menu to format the card, or when I need something really specific, which rarely happens.
And I never bothered to buy an AF lens for the thing. I am a slow shooter and don't need no auto-anything. Bit like when I would shoot an M9 really:angel:

I wouldn't get the original A7 series as they suffer from sensor reflections and very weak mounts.
I like the idea of the A7II as for this usage it has plenty of MP, but one huge advantage that the A7Rii has over it is a much better EVF.
I wouldn't bother with the latest gen A7 III cameras unless your primary use is to get AF Sony lenses. If you just want to use your M glass, the 2nd gen is enough.

But... even the 3rd gen A7s will have issues with M glass as the issues stem from the sensor cover thickness, not software or other hardware. And that hasn't changed. Study up to see which M lenses work well. I have heard the 35 cron doesn't, 50 and above are good. etc.
Thing is, with an A7 you can get 'cheap' old SLR lenses and those work perfectly.

I'm tempted to get a used A7II just for my Minolta Rokkor glass . I have an MD-Leica M adapter, but the Leica EVF experience is a bit lacking (M240).

Back