Which Sony for frustrated M9 User?

no problems. However I have not been using big, heavy lenses and sensor reflection might have happened but I had not noticed or identified as such

googling brings up plenty of examples of sensor reflections. Pretty much one needs pin point light sources to make it happen.
The fact that Sony fixed the lens mount on the A7ii series (as well as the reflections) shows they acknowledged the issue.

By the way - I really enjoyed looking at your Flickr albums! Very nice work indeed.

thanks

thanks

interesting info. I wonder if it was fixed in the interim though? I think it mainly happened with small apertures, likely where diffraction was occurring. On the lens mount, whenever plastics vs metal or a stronger mount exists, some will have better luck with the stronger mount.

I plan to use relatively light lenses, and mostly shoot wide open.

googling brings up plenty of examples of sensor reflections. Pretty much one needs pin point light sources to make it happen.
The fact that Sony fixed the lens mount on the A7ii series (as well as the reflections) shows they acknowledged the issue.

By the way - I really enjoyed looking at your Flickr albums! Very nice work indeed.

interesting info. I wonder if it was fixed in the interim though? I think it mainly happened with small apertures, likely where diffraction was occurring. On the lens mount, whenever plastics vs metal or a stronger mount exists, some will have better luck with the stronger mount.

I plan to use relatively light lenses, and mostly shoot wide open.

It is much more apparent stopped down, and only occurs w/ pin point light sources at night, or sun stars during the day. If you avoid those, then no need to worry.

https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~forums/58120415/9a54a82d2ca74969a6c30a7d793cfa90

Used A7ii is now under $1000, I've seen them on fredmiranda.com for $850. I'd prefer a used A7ii than a new A7, just because I don't want to have to deal with thinking about that, or the weaker mount (it's not just heavy lenses, but repeated lens changes that can cause issues), plus I think it offers better ergos, and the IBIS.

Sony does not fix things in the interim - they just introduce updated models. They are not the only ones that do this - Nikon did it with the D610 when the D600 had all those shutter oil issues.

...I find that between my Ricoh GR and Sony A7II - only shooting RAW - both run through Capture One, the GR colours are way better than the Sony..

in my post above I did not mention my personal preferance, actually I also prefer the colors, generally output of my Ricoh GXR M over that of my two Sonys. Though the later usually are ok for me too.

Just wanted to share the outcome of some attempts I've been making to resolve the issue described above with the Sony A7II. Be aware this is something that works for me - ymmv. I think my main issue with the Sony has been the colours arising from the camera profiles applied in the RAW converter. Using Capture One (I've looked in Lightroom and can't find similar camera specific profiles) I find I get a more film like tonality without punchy colours if I apply the Mamiya M31, Outdoor Daylight, Film Standard profile to the Sony RAW. Applying the profile does need a little colour balancing which I find works pretty well with a touch of red in the highlights and a touch of cyan in the shadows. Midtones vary but a touch of magenta often seems a good starting point.
I quite like this for colour but Im finding it's especially good as a base for B&W conversions...

Back