Who remembers RFF when it started ?

I too, joined in March, 2005. Not sure how I heard about RFF, maybe on the Leica Users Group (LUG). RFF is my go-to photo site. By far my favorite.

Jim B.

I joined in 2005. The list includes Yashica Electro 35, Yashica Lynx 14, Canon QL17GIII, Zorki 4, FED II, Voigtlander Bessa R, and more:D

Also joined in March 2005 shortly after buying an Epson R-D1. Whatever happended to FrankS, Trius, Toddhanz - missing some of the old timers. Glad to see Keith turn up in this thread.

I joined 1st of December 2004. During that year I got my first 3 Soviet Union rangefinders (FED 3, Zorki 4 and FED 2). I had used digital cameras for the 2 previous years and a very boring film compact before that.

I joined after lurking for many moons. Back in those days I lurked a lot on forums but seldom joined or participated. I don't recall when I first heard of the place but, then again, I can't remember much past last week.

I joined in Jul 2008 - not sure how i came across RFF. I used to be a member of UseFilm and Photopoints until they went bust. I was underwhelmed by Flickr and never fully engaged with it. I also follow some groups in Facebook but i can't say i really enjoy it. RFF has been by far my most favourite place to (photoraphically) hang around.

I kept seeing on photo.net advice to maybe look for an answer from the experts over on rangefinderforum. Because I was not usually after any technical information and was more interested in photography it took me ages to think of looking. As soon as I did I switched, in either late 2008 or early 2009. The photo of the week on the photo.net Leica and Rangefinder sub forum was very slow with a bunch of in posters chuckling amongst themselves over indifferent pictures. Everything here was a stark contrast, collegiate, generous, erudite and expert. Again it took me ages to look at the Gallery, the jewel in the crown back then. The Gallery picks of the week thread each week was a great editing tutorial and there were stunning photos and great comments.

The occasional stoushes here were nothing compared to the snide undercurrent I often sensed at phot.net, with a couple of exceptions, two beautiful members very civilized and inclusive. The only thing I miss about photo.net is the Wedding forum. I would read it for the thrill and the terror. I once did a wedding. I really didn’t know now whether it was a passable result, or truly terrible. I don’t see them anymore but see his parents professionally. All very cordial. Seeing a pro gently but sternly advise some enthusiast with a kit lens to master the use of flash and get a back up camera and shooter and go upstate to scout the location, cures any itch I might have to return to that suicidal sport, and adds the bonus of some pearls on how pros actually got the job done. I remember one posting that at a pinch he could do a whole wedding with a 35 1.4.

VIVAT RFF.

i remember, back then photo net was the place. but it was an interesting environment to say the least.
Someone used the word ‘toxic’ before. Good description of that place. 😬

Last edited:
I joined on February 6th 2006 - probably looking for info on my Moskva-4.

Still a rubbish photographer, but with a much, much bigger collection of oddball junk!

I signed up on RFF in Dec 2011, long after the earliest days. 11 years later, it's much the same other than there is a more diverse bunch of cameras being used and talked about. I consider that a good thing.

G

My Profile says I joined Jan 1, 2009. Could be it was actually earlier and there was a reset that bumped a lot of folks to that date, but I don't remember entirely what the circumstances were. Anyway, other than the issues with the way the site operates it has been mostly a pleasure to collegially banter with the other members about different photographic subjects. I've learned a lot since joining, met some really great people who have inspired me along the way, some who are no longer with us. Love the fact that it has expanded to cover the many facets of photography other than just rangefinders, but it was the rangefinder focus that got me to join. I hope it continues for long after I'm gone so that the ones who are just now getting into photography will have this resource at their disposal.

PF

I came in 2005 from two list serves, Cosina Voigtlander Users Group (CVUG) and the Rangefinder list, RF something or other. I think others here also came from those lists, which I thought were run by Stephen?

Some of us had kids about the same age, first graders or so. I remember photos of Sonnar Brian’s daughter and I shared some of my son, they are now mid twenties, time flies.

I was present at RFF and at photo.net. RFF had the nicer crowd in the end.

Joined Nov 2, 2005

It's been 20 years already?! Wow...

I remember finding RFF via a random rangefinder related search in early 2005. It was quiet back then compared to the nikonians forum where I was hanging out mostly, and everyone spoke an odd language filled with strange words (Summilux, Summicron, Zorki, Jupiter etc...) 😄 I lurked occasionally until finally registering in early 2007 after buying my first rangefinder, a Nikon S3 2000. Great to see quite a few members from those days are still active here!

Back