Who remembers RFF when it started ?

Joined in 2007-2008 from what I remember. First camera was a Zorki and Jupiter 8. After that a Zeiss Ikon ZM (man I miss that viewfinder) and Epson RD-1 and then sold it all for an M6TTL.

I fell off from here sometime when C Mogerly and Avotius faded out around 2011-2012 until just recently having time again to come back to photography. This has been a great place but definitely feels quieter compared to back.

I lurked for a long time then joined in 2005 (and now under a new user name since the site upgrade) when I found RFF via Caneraquest while looking for information on the Olympus 35DC which my mother owned in the 70s. In those days, the conversation was quite make-do with lots of discussion on FSU cameras and lenses, Yashicas, Olympus, Ricoh and other fixed lens RFs. Very friendly bunch and still aew today.

I was present at RFF and at photo.net. RFF had the nicer crowd in the end.

Joined Nov 2, 2005

I think it was 2005 or so when I joined.

I joined here mainly for help identifying the model of rangefinder that I had, and sold a few decades before, when I "upgraded" to the SLR.

It turned out to be the Mamiya-Sekor Super-Deluxe, which I eventually re-acquired, actually one very nice one made from two not-so-very-nice ones.

Before I got a working Mamiya SD, I got (and successfully repaired) an Ebay Special Canon GIII. My baptism by fire in camera repair!

651773-r1-011-4-19876136046-o-m.jpg

During the fall of 2005 I decided to rejuvenate my photographic activities. I joined in December 2005. I think my interest in the Canonet QL 17 GIII is how I discovered RFF.

Using the Canonet established my interest in small cameras with an optical finder where I could compose while viewing what was outside the finder frame-line estimates. I learned a great deal from reading RFF.

The oldest post of mine that I was able to find here was from 2005. But it wasn't an introductory post or anything. It purported to attach two photographs for comparison's sake. Of course, the images themselves are nowhere to be found.

I joined in the middle of 2005 after hanging around a CV focused list. It is wonderful how this has grown and matured. Yeah, we had our team years, but have gotten through them IMHO, VERY WELL!

Thank you all the contributors who are hear and those who have left. Without everyone it would not be the premiere collective that it has become.

B2 (;->>>>>>>>

Prior to the time I joined Usenet Newsgroups had become difficult and were in decline.
Forums like RFF were definitely a refreshing change.

Chris

I joined in October 2006, right about the time I started getting more seriously interested in rangefinders. Canon Ps were quite the rage when I joined so I subsequently bought a used one on the ‘bay. That P is long gone but I’m still here. Of course, my camera acquisition exploded thereafter…

RFF went through phases with some fairly cantankerous and opinionated members (remember Magus? Pixtu? Noel?) but it was also a place where photogs with real and deep knowledge generously shared their expertise. Fortunately, some of the latter, like Sonnar Brian, Chriscrawford, Erik van Straten, lynnb and Xray, are still here (not to mention Jason Schneider and other experts who now have their own forums). I also learned a lot from Tom A., charjohncarter, Roger Hicks, RayPA, and Roland (ferider). Over the years here, I’ve deeply appreciated the posts and interactions with Raid, Helen Hill, jonmanjiro, and many other too numerous to name. One favorite theme in the time I’ve been on this site has been Raid’s posts about which cameras he should take on vacation (“My bags are packed…”); I continue to enjoy those and learned a lot in the process. Most importantly, as others in this thread have noted, the tone and tenor of discussions here has been civil and generous. Even in this thread, it’s nice to see Alkis (Telenous) and MikeL posting again. It’s fantastic that RFF enjoys a new and much improved website; many thanks to Stephen and Jorge for making that happen. I look forward to spending more time here in the future.

Last edited:
Steve, did you notice I did not include you and Roland in the cast of shady characters?
Might be time for another Sacramento meet when the weather gets better!

I did notice that, Mike, and thought that maybe my attempts to fly under the radar were working…😉 Another photog meet up in Sacto would be great!

Loved the results - lovely lens and the finder was good but could not gel with it, perhaps because of the boxy, angular shape. I had a Fujica Deluxe at the same time which was also great and slightly better ergonomics.

I came over on day two after the start, I think following a mention in the Pop Photo Forums' "For Love of the Canonet" thread. Oh how things grew since then.

Last edited:
Join in Oct 2004 sometime after getting my first Canonet, at some point I transitioned to a lurker. Still a fav spot for rf talk. This makes me so wistful for the days of $500 Mamiya 7s and 99cent rolls of film.

Loved the results - lovely lens and the finder was good but could not gel with it, perhaps because of the boxy, angular shape. I had a Fujica Deluxe at the same time which was also great and slightly better ergonomics.

The SD was the first "real camera" I owned, and the first 35 I regularly used, so I really did not have much to compare it with. Yeah, it's large(r) and a bit clumsy, but it is an excellent performer.

IIRC, back in the mid 2000-oughts, we did have a few other SD users here. I remember someone comparing the appearance to that of a "cheap transistor radio" or something like that.

The only real gripe I (still) have is that it's very easy to forget to turn the meter off and run down the battery.

Join in Oct 2004 sometime after getting my first Canonet, at some point I transitioned to a lurker. Still a fav spot for rf talk. This makes me so wistful for the days of $500 Mamiya 7s and 99cent rolls of film.
You were also enjoying a $170 beat up rolleflex f too

I joined in 2011, but had been lurking from about 2007 or 2008 after diving into the wild world of Leica rangefinders and Voigtlander lenses. The names of the lenses were so exotic, like Color-Skopar and Ultron, I was just fascinated with them and pored endlessly over the Camera Quest product pages. The Nokton 35mm f1.2, billed as the fastest 35mm rangefinder lens ever made, was so captivating. Years on and I own many of these lenses.

I have been happy to regard RFF as an online home away from home for many years.

Back