Who Wants To Test The Lomo LC-A 120 ???????????

Is it really fair to compare the price of a new camera to a used camera? Obviously you get more value used.

There is really no other camera like the LC-A 120. The combination of size, 6x6, and wide angle is unique.

I'm not sure I will keep the one I bought. It does feel a bit too plastic but there is really no other camera quite like this one, for better and for worse.

eww...i'd rather get a schneider ipro case with the wide lens. only costs $150? can't think of any reason why i'd want to waste film in the lomo.

Ok, we get it... some of you would rather use a phone or a medium format camera with a standard lens... I'd rather use my Nikon Df, but what does that add to the thread?

There is really no other camera like the LC-A 120. The combination of size, 6x6, and wide angle is unique.

I'm not sure I will keep the one I bought. It does feel a bit too plastic but there is really no other camera quite like this one, for better and for worse.

This is the bottom line. As laughable as this may sound, there is no other camera available that has the same feature set as this Lomo.
This is a very small (waaaay smaller than any other MF camera), light camera with focussing and auto exposure that has a 21mm equivalent lens.
I am really looking forward to using it this weekend, and will have the results up in the next few days.

I want this thing to take good pics. It's just unfortunate that it is priced where it is.

What I remember is that Lomo was created, not by photo enthusiasts but by two MBA guys who smelled money after surveying the collapsed photo industry in the former USSR. They developed a business model of low tech/low cost products with lots of hype at a maximum price point. I'm quite sure they spent more money in advertising than on product development. So good for them but I don't like the hype. Peace, Peter

What I remember is that Lomo was created, not by photo enthusiasts but by two MBA guys who smelled money after surveying the collapsed photo industry in the former USSR. They developed a business model of low tech/low cost products with lots of hype at a maximum price point. I'm quite sure they spent more money in advertising than on product development. So good for them but I don't like the hype. Peace, Peter

That is a very cynical look at it. The way I see it they saved the film industry. Before they introduced their products aimed at a NEW generation of film photographers (that is where the future is, not us old farts complaining about the good old days!), film really was on its last legs. With their clever marketing they brought newcomers into the fold, by having it deliberately lo-fi that put the emphasis on having fun, not getting caught in the 'noise'. If you look at their web site, lomography.com, you will see that no-one out there, not Leica, Nikon etc is promoting film photography the way they are. We should be thankful of that. And if you browse around their website you see that there are a lot of pics taken by kids who have moved on to regular film cameras. And Lomography embraces that, arguably because they realize that sooner or later that may happen and instead of losing them as a customer, sell them Lomo (or regular brand) film!
They and the site really embrace film in a joyous way, with none of the bickering that we find in other forums.

This weekend will be fun. I should have three Lomo products to test - a Minatar 32mm lens on my Leica MdA, a (if it shows up in time) Lomo Horizon pan camera, and this LC-A 120. The first two I bought with my own money, the 120 is the loaner. I will be having fun at the Los Angeles Ciclavia event on Sunday. If anyone is in the area, I highly recommend it!

The cameras are loaded, the film is tracked!

One of these is not like the other...

Giddyup!

image_zpsr7kdt4pz.jpg

2de6b0d2-9f04-418d-80ea-38e18f53e64b_zpsy9gfxopt.jpg

i'm Canuck so no test pilot here BUT...

quite excited about the camera, hoping to buy one soon. sometimes i enjoy pushing a button and focusing on geometry instead. limitation breeds creativity.

glad u liked the video! no animals were harmed in the making...

Rolling update in the field at Ciclavia: the lens/vf cover mechanism has become smoother to use from , well, use. better but still lousy for the price.
the shutter release still blows and it kinda kills the fun. the only way this works as an ultimate street camera is if u enjoy stabbing the release.
I've so far shot two rolls and am going to stop there for now as the Horizon and Leica are way more fun to shoot. I'm having a blast with the Lomo Horizon and am really looking forward to see those results.

glad u liked the video! no animals were harmed in the making...

Rolling update in the field at Ciclavia: the lens/vf cover mechanism has become smoother to use from , well, use. better but still lousy for the price.
the shutter release still blows and it kinda kills the fun. the only way this works as an ultimate street camera is if u enjoy stabbing the release.
I've so far shot two rolls and am going to stop there for now as the Horizon and Leica are way more fun to shoot. I'm having a blast with the Lomo Horizon and am really looking forward to see those results.

Any idea when you will be able to post some results? Curious to see what you got.

I'm still working on my first roll. Haven't been able to shoot as much as I had hoped. I think this weekend should be much better for shooting for me.

Back