Why everyone needs a Widelux! (or two)

Blacksmith

Blacksmith

Widelux F6B, shot with Arista premium 400 scanned with V600
11103518335_7946a3358f_h.jpg

11103579086_211c6c5998_h.jpg

Great work Colin, love the shot of all the monks ib a row heading into the temple.

What film did you use?

Thanks folks. That was one my favorites, indeed - one of those moments when life lines up for you.

For the most part, I photographed on TMax 100 film - making 16x20 enlargements easier, of course. A few were shot on TMY, if I recall and one was on HP5+.

To each their own, but I really liked the results from the TMax films the best. If I ever get that camera back again, I'd probably stick exclusively with TMax 400, for both the grain/sharpness and speed.

I always carry at least an F7 and an XPan loaded with 400 and 160 generally.

However, to maximize my Widelux opportunities, I'm thinking I need to carry 2 F7s with different films.

Texsport

Congratulations on the addition of your second Widelux. They really are wonderful cameras. Built like a tank.*

I've been lusting after one of these since the 1981. Finally around 2009 I picked one up on eBay for next to nothing. Cosmetically, it wasn't the best looking camera out there, however it worked just fine. My only issue was some of my first photos included my knuckles.

In late 2011 it developed a bit of banding, most noticeable in the sky of my photos. Next went the slow speed of 1/15 sec. the turret was no longer able to turn on it's own.
So for the next two years it sat in the back of the closet. I started to feel guilty of having this camera sitting unused and starting thinking about selling it. But I waited too long to add a Widelux to my collection to simply let it go.

Happy to say I finally sent it into Precision Camera Works for a CLA late last month and within two weeks I had it back in my hands this past Monday. I am so looking forward to photographing once again with it now that it's working better then ever.*

In the time I used it, I always had difficulty in rewinding the exposed film simply because the rewind knob did not extend. (I always thought this was normal). Bob (@ Precision) also fixed this problem so now rewinds should be a breeze.

_Harry

I think you may have been lucky with your Widelux.

Being in Texas, I've spoken to Precision Camera about a Widelux overhaul.

They couldn't guarantee that they could do much, especially if the rubber friction device that controls rotational speed is worn out. They said they can't get parts.

Your camera must have only needed minor repairs.

Either way, they are a blast to shoot.

Texsport

Hi there,

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Is there anyone in the EU that can fix a Widelux F8? Mine seems to be skipping a frame everytime I wind it on after an exposure.

Many thanks
Marcel

Last edited:
I think you may have been lucky with your Widelux.

Being in Texas, I've spoken to Precision Camera about a Widelux overhaul.

They couldn't guarantee that they could do much, especially if the rubber friction device that controls rotational speed is worn out. They said they can't get parts.

Your camera must have only needed minor repairs.

Either way, they are a blast to shoot.

Texsport

Old thread I know, but you are confusing Precision Camera in Austin TX with Precision Camera Works in Fairfield, California.

Back