Why everyone needs a Widelux! (or two)

Keith

The best camera is one that still works!
Local time
6:47 AM
A year ago after stumbling over Jeff Bridges' web site I was severely bitten by the Widelux bug and immediatley started looking for a decent example at a fair price. An F7 popped up in the classifieds and I didn't hesitate ... the camera has a very slight banding problem but not enough to cause any real issues and ultimately if it bothers me it can be CLAd in the US quite reasonably.

One of the problems with Wideluxes is the very limited range of apertures and shutter speeds. 400 film will over expose on bright days without an ND filter and 100 will cause problems in poor light. The solution is an extra camera and I was lucky enough to stumble over an F8 at a near givaway BIN price on eBay one night ... immaculate, one owner and all the original accessories including a filter set.

I can't say enough about how good these cameras are and how much pleasure they give me when I use them ... they seriously are like nothing else and until you've experienced what a swing lens panoramic camera can do you haven't lived IMO. The aperture ranges from f2.8 to f11 and you have three shutter speeds ... 1/15 ~ 1/125 and 1/250 second. Focus is fixed at around eleven feet but at f11 everything will be in focus from around a meter up ... the lens is a 26mm and absolutely tac sharp. These things are built like tanks and have a beautiful slightly 'art deco' appearance and the only weakness is the gearing for the turret and shutter can get a bit claggy and cause banding which usually shows up in shots with large expanses of sky. A simple CLA usually addresses this problem apparently.

Panon only made these things from around 1958 to somewhere in the mid nineties before ceasing production with the final model the F8 ... and reputedly only around twenty thousand cameras were made in total during this forty year period.

I love them to bits ... thank you Panon. :)

U5265I1376286435.SEQ.0.jpg

I have always wondered whether I should get one, but I bought a Linhof 612 instead. They do look very cool though.

Two of them!!!!!???? One for each hand :p huh.

Well when do we see some shots? Have fun.

Gary

You don't look in the gallery then? :D

And yes ... like the Merrils, one for each hand! LOL. :p

Now you'll push up the prices, Keith :(

The prices being asked are already stupid ... but I doubt that they get them. I've seen a couple of F8s on eBay for around two grand recently ... ridiculous!

I paid $500 for my F8 and a couple of hundred more for my F7.

I agree - great cameras, and having 2 is a great idea, 'cause they aren't the easiest and quickest cameras to reload.

I've got an F7, but need -- well, want -- an F8.

Always part of my walking around kit.

Texsport

I've looked at these but they tend to go for so much money that they are just well outside of my price range. I'd look at the Kompakt similar cameras first for the experience and decide if I wanted to risk the investment in one of these later.

The Widelux's I am seeing on eBay are going for $600-3000. Ouch.

I love the look of them. But the cost is just... well... ouch.

Is there such a thing as a good Widelux that -isn't- $500 or more? Minus stumbling upon one that works from someone who has no idea what it is, anyway?

I'd love to see a good comparison between the pricy and sexy Widelux vs the cheaper (less sexy) alternatives like the 202 and Horizon Kompakt/Perfekt.

I know this is a Widelux thread but I am curious why the one is worth so much more and to see the differences.

Oh and some of you all should post some pictures from your Widelux here please and thanks. :D

I'd be curious to see a direct comparison between a 35mm Widelux and an Xpan; I've used the later (and like it), but have no experience with the former.

The rotating/scanning lens of the Widelux produces quite a different effect in ultrawide capture compared to the Xpan with its ultra-wide fixed lens.

I haven't used either camera, but you can simulate the difference by using a panorama capture technique with an iPhone*4 or similar continuous-panorama-capture equipped camera, and shooting with a Hasselblad SWC cropping the negative to a 24mm tall center strip.

One of the local photographers produced a beautiful photo book exclusively with the Widelux:

Geir Jordahl "Searching for True North" published by ModernBook Gallery.
http://www.modernbook.com/mbe-geirjordahl-searchingfortruenorth.html

G

A better comparison would be Horizont 202 versus Widelux. Is there an observable difference?

Back