Why HCB uses a 50mm lens

While not religious myself, I’ve always felt like Catholicism was basically designed to be photogenic. The vestments, the structure, even their modern churches.
Take a look at Mapplethorpe's work. No such thing as an ex-Catholic, just a Catholic in recovery. I speak from experience here!

I was very emotionally moved when I visited the older Catholic Churches and Cathedrals - both in Italy and in France. I was amazed at the beauty, design, and solemnity of the spaces; and moreover, how they were constructed.

On another note, guess who was invited to the Sistine Chapel recently:

Last edited:
I was very emotionally moved when I visited the older Catholic Churches and Cathedrals - both in Italy and in France. I was amazed at the beauty, design, and solemnity of the spaces; and moreover, how they were constructed.

On another note, guess who was invited to the Sistine Chapel recently:
Well! Take that, Jesse Helms!

A trip to Chartres is always moving for me. The cathedral was built in about 25 years, a record. The architect is unknown. The rich contributed money. The poor contributed labor and pulled carts loaded with the stones used to build the cathedral They stopped hourly for prayer and meditation. It is built on a hill in a valley. Before the cathedral there was a church and before that was a Roman temple and before that a Druid temple and before that other places of worship. This site has been special to many for centuries. Think about that.

Driving south from Paris on N20 in August you pass through fields of ripe wheat. You crest a ridge and see the cathedral, seemingly levitating out of a wheat field. Imagine being a pilgrim marching toward that vision for two or three days. Enter the cathedral and you are moved by the higher silences. It is also the local parish church. I have seen baptisms and weddings there. It moves me mightily and I am not Catholic. It moves most.

Too many photos to post here, too few to capture the majesty. If you are near, go.

Back