Why HCB uses a 50mm lens

I've often found that I like to use a 50mm lens outside and a 35mm lens inside. Not that I'm any HBC.

Or just split the difference and use a 40mm lens all the time.

Something anyone with a zoom lens, or access to one, and an SLR can easily determine which focal length “looks right” for a lens they want to casually walk around with. What I do is look at various scenes from some distance, zoom in and out until what I see “looks right” and then look at the focal length on the zoom. Amazingly, for me it’s about 50mm. Maybe this is because I used a 55mm lens exclusively for 15 years that I just naturally like that view.

There used to be a device that directors of films used - you could hold it to your eye and adjust it for the framing you wanted - the device would then indicate the lens focal length to use on the ciné camera.

There used to be a device that directors of films used - you could hold it to your eye and adjust it for the framing you wanted - the device would then indicate the lens focal length to use on the ciné camera.

Yes, the Director’s Viewfinder. I always wanted one of those.

Alan Gordon Enterprises Mark Vb Director's Viewfinder
https://www.alangordon.com/sales/our-products/mark-vb

mark-vb-with-cap-2018a-1600px.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	mark-vb-with-cap-2018a-1600px.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.3 KB ID:	4812104

Required accessories: a black beret, a long cigarette holder, and a megaphone. A folding chair with your name on the back is optional, but recommended.

Lol yes, and a pair of those puffy Director's pants and knee-high black boots :)

director+costume.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	director+costume.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.5 KB ID:	4812134

I will never forget showing a photo of an interesting man sleeping on a park bench. One viewer observed that if I had used a 35mm lens I would not have cutoff his legs. That really stuck with me.

I will never forget showing a photo of an interesting man sleeping on a park bench. One viewer observed that if I had used a 35mm lens I would not have cutoff his legs. That really stuck with me.
.....or you could have taken a step or two back...& recomposed. I'm a 35mm guy so i often take a step or two forward.

.....or you could have taken a step or two back...& recomposed. I'm a 35mm guy so i often take a step or two forward.
This sounds like the old "zoom with your feet" advice. Unfortunately, I think it's poor advice. Every focal length has its own look, and imposes that look on the image. That's why commercial photographers don't use wide angles for portraits. As always, it's best to use the right tool for the job, provided you have the time to switch lenses, or at least know how your lens will "see" a given subject.

This sounds like the old "zoom with your feet" advice. Unfortunately, I think it's poor advice. Every focal length has its own look, and imposes that look on the image. That's why commercial photographers don't use wide angles for portraits. As always, it's best to use the right tool for the job, provided you have the time to switch lenses, or at least know how your lens will "see" a given subject.
Well it might be poor advice, but the difference between cutting off someone's feet in an image and not doing so....doesn't typically involve changing lenses.....

I have just re-read most of this thread. Great dream-spinning and speculation about HCB. What is in my mind is that he was an affluent gentleman, trained in art as in painting and drawing. He was French gentility to the point of almost a stereotype with the wit and humor of the country and class. The French enjoy life and a good joke and admire quick minds. As for HCB in particular he has said it many times, he used the camera as his sketchpad. To wit, as if he were gathering images for use in a greater work later. Sketchpads are white paper and charcoal or more often a Conté crayon. So B&W was just how he would think in sketchpad terms of what he was gathering.

And he sure did not seem to be puffed up about himself. The really good can be quite humble and self-effacing even if only to deflect praise and admiration. He has left a huge impression on all who wander streets, camera in hand. He is not the only one to have done so but he surely is one of the giants. I think we are all better for knowing him.

And if you hadn’t cut off his legs, he wouldn’t still be sleeping!

Back