Would you buy a Leica X 113?

Congratulations on your new camera. The X 113 is for sure a sleeper! While reviews need to point to facts, the auto stop-down feature on the X-113 where you need to be a certain distance for the lens to stay open to f1.7 was overblown. In fact you can easily take portraits in close and the lens will close I found, to f2 or f2.2, still "faster" than lauded cameras like the Contax T series, Rollei 35S or for that matter the wonderful X Vario at f3.5

The manual focusing with magnification, rather than focus by wire, works like a manual focus lens with good precision. There is an AA fliter but it is negligible. Colors are vibrant, use of on-board flash that can be dialed way down make this a very useful travel companion. And it is ergonomic in the tradition of a Barnack Leica, not unlike the CL that followed but with real analog controls if that is important to you!

Enjoy the camera :)

David

This was f2.2
162764822.UT18wjjm.WallatWelwyn2.2.jpg

Portrait at f2
46990093855_4cd35b95b8_o.jpg

f3.2
38377422842_c1f9b2baa2_o.jpg

f2.8
26633124439_b8497375f7_o.jpg

Doggie at f4
166598455.lJYT9G94.Frankster.jpg

I have a X113. I also have a Q. The Q runs circles around the X in so many ways, but the lens on the X has something special about it. It reminds me of the older, Mandler-designed M & R lenses with their sharp-gentle style of rendering. The Q is all about sharp-contrasty.
So, still very nice to use, even today.

Booth Q and X are disproportional (huge lens on tiny body) and have odd focusing scale, which is nowhere near to M lenses focus scale usability. Big disappointment to me.

Booth Q and X are disproportional (huge lens on tiny body) and have odd focusing scale, which is nowhere near to M lenses focus scale usability. Big disappointment to me.
The Q focusing scale is indeed short of detail from 2m on out... but keep in mind it can focus in to less than 7 inches (0.17m)!

Hi KoFe,

Autofocus lenses for all of these mirrorless cameras are larger- at least fast ones. While designers made the bodies a compact alternative to DSLR bodies, the lenses grew. One example that comes to mind is the Fuji 23mm f 1.4 RX1 is also an example of that, although for me it is fine with a thumbs up and or grip installed. I have come round to that one because (and I'm sure Q owners would feel similarly) form follows function. I personally have never found the find the X 113 disproportionate in lens to body.

All that said, it is personal and if the lens feels large to you, that is a fair assessment.

David

Would you buy a Leica X 113?

I got a half case on the way for it, dealer blow out at $19!! Also found a semi reasonably priced evf. Cheaper than any other listed online at least. I figure if I ever get an m10 or a T it would be useful as well. Everything should arrive Thursday.

0b80a78957c1f1f1e09850fa9434d8be.jpg

Getting used to it. Very different experience from my M or my Nikons. Need to learn how the AF works to anticipate it better. So far I'm happy with it. Definitely bargain grade, but it spiffs up nicely with the case. Can't believe I got an oem case for so little. Still in the original shipping box!

Congrats! I also own an X 113 - and my wife has an X1. There really is something very nice about the way the X handles. Mind you, its autofocus can be finicky, and I'm still annoyed Leica never pushed a single firmware update for this camera since it feels like it's running not-quite-finished software.
However, if you slow down with it, and use it the way you would an M or any manual focus camera, then you will be rewarded with beautiful, sharp, and soft files that hold up really well to post processing, especially B&W.
As stated before, it's a sleeper camera that I have a difficult time parting with.

Congrats! I also own an X 113 - and my wife has an X1. There really is something very nice about the way the X handles. Mind you, its autofocus can be finicky, and I'm still annoyed Leica never pushed a single firmware update for this camera since it feels like it's running not-quite-finished software.
However, if you slow down with it, and use it the way you would an M or any manual focus camera, then you will be rewarded with beautiful, sharp, and soft files that hold up really well to post processing, especially B&W.
As stated before, it's a sleeper camera that I have a difficult time parting with.

It's become a favorite of mine. Love how lightweight it is and that it matches my M240 so well in image style and ergonomics.

5d77f5a3b21fcb519980b1ea069dbb70.jpg

Well, the autofocus really is about as fast as I can usually (on average) manual focus my M. So, really, that’s to too bad, is it?
The lens is great.

Back