X-100 Lens Flare

Simply a Request for X100 Owners to Post Your Night Light Images

Simply a Request for X100 Owners to Post Your Night Light Images

Also, it happens more peripherally.

I disagree with many that say this is a non-event/unimportant. All lenses have aberrations. It is simply a matter of degree and I question if this is solely a lens issue. I, like many others, intentionally waited to place an order for the X100 in recognition that this is just another camera. We wanted others to evaluate and post.

The posting of these very very early findings based on so few images is simply a plea for those with the cameras to investigate this phenomena.

Actually, the flare is not really an issue for me. The camera seems to have good image quality overall. I would consider buying one if it weren't so small. Even the Leica M's are too small to be really comfortable for my big hands without a grip. But, of course, small is one of the selling points! If we could just each custom design our own camera! :)

OK, I'll wait for night time and re-shoot this. But if I go blind, I'll wave my hands and make grumpy sounds...

Perhaps, night, tripod, various apertures and lighting in various areas of the image. Smaller, bright light sources might be more productive. For example LED Christmas tree lights.

Many thanks.... You are like the first men on the moon. A real pioneer.

Last edited:
The cover glass is part of the optical path. If you remove it, must replace it with something as thick and with the same index of refraction. OR- could change the lens registration to compensate.

Digital cameras are truly amazing devices. Unfortunately all of them produce artifacts whenever extreme over exposure is present. Some lens/sensor combinations perform differently than others. I have seen smaller, similar and worse artifacts with my LUMIX G1, D200, 300 and 700 bodies. The artifacts are highly situational. You can find thousands of photographs from every make of digital camera with similar and worse artifacts on Flickr.

The X100 lens does seem to present flare at F 2. The flare seems to reduce as it's stopped down. But the X100 is like all other digital cameras, it doe not perform well when extreme over exposure is present. More attention to exposure will minimize the flaws in the X100 sensor/lens combination, but this is always the case.

Well, maybe the next digital camera will really be the "Jesus Camera." :)

All's well. We can continue to seek the Holy Grail of photography. Hopefully while shooting whatever it is we already have!

There was this really funny article called the Apple Product Cycle which makes fun of the "hype cycle" surrounding every new Apple product. I've referred to this every now and then, in the case of the X100 it does seem quite appropriate.

Any day now I expect that we'll enter the phase where the Apple Product Cycle says that "a minor, rarely occurring flaw in the device begins to be discussed in the Apple support forums. Whiny, artistic types post lengthy diatribes about how this terrible design flaw has made the device unusable and scarred them emotionally. Electronic petitions are created demanding that Apple replace the devices for free, plus pay for counseling to help traumatized users overcome their emotional distress."

Digital cameras are truly amazing devices. Unfortunately all of them produce artifacts whenever extreme over exposure is present. Some lens/sensor combinations perform differently than others. I have seen smaller, similar and worse artifacts with my LUMIX G1, D200, 300 and 700 bodies. The artifacts are highly situational. You can find thousands of photographs from every make of digital camera with similar and worse artifacts on Flickr.

The X100 lens does seem to present flare at F 2. The flare seems to reduce as it's stopped down. But the X100 is like all other digital cameras, it doe not perform well when extreme over exposure is present. More attention to exposure will minimize the flaws in the X100 sensor/lens combination, but this is always the case.

So what we're really in need of is, rather than smarter cameras, smarter photographers.

~Joe

Back