X-100 Lens Flare

Digital cameras are truly amazing devices. Unfortunately all of them produce artifacts whenever extreme over exposure is present. Some lens/sensor combinations perform differently than others. I have seen smaller, similar and worse artifacts with my LUMIX G1, D200, 300 and 700 bodies. The artifacts are highly situational. You can find thousands of photographs from every make of digital camera with similar and worse artifacts on Flickr.

The X100 lens does seem to present flare at F 2. The flare seems to reduce as it's stopped down. But the X100 is like all other digital cameras, it doe not perform well when extreme over exposure is present. More attention to exposure will minimize the flaws in the X100 sensor/lens combination, but this is always the case

Digital Cameras IE Crap...................... Now Seriously- are photographic recording devices with limited capabilities and SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!! Some folks are just starting to figure this out!! I am not surprised about the issues with the X100, I have seen these issues with every digital camera I have used and I have used many in my work. That why I still prefer to shoot all stuff I really care about with film cameras and wide latitude negative film. Never have any problems with blowout highs or artifacts on neg film - Kievman

Digital Cameras IE Crap...................... Now Seriously- are photographic recording devices with limited capabilities and SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!! Some folks are just starting to figure this out!! I am not surprised about the issues with the X100, I have seen these issues with every digital camera I have used and I have used many in my work. That why I still prefer to shoot all stuff I really care about with film cameras and wide latitude negative film. Never have any problems with blowout highs or artifacts on neg film - Kievman

Please read this
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102866

Joe V How About Photographers Who Are More Aware ?

Joe V How About Photographers Who Are More Aware ?

So what we're really in need of is, rather than smarter cameras, smarter photographers.

~Joe

We certainly don't need smarter cameras. It seems to me Nikon's automated 3D color matrix exposure is plenty smart. Yet I know from personal experience 3D matrix exposure does not always compute the optimum exposure.

"The 3D Color Matrix Meter II takes into account the scene's contrast and brightness, the subject's distance (via a D- or G-type NIKKOR lens), the color of the subject within the scene and RGB color values in every section of the scene. 3D Color Matrix Metering II also uses special exposure-evaluation algorithms, optimized for digital imaging, that detect highlight areas. The meter then accesses a database of over 30,000 actual images to determine the best exposure for the scene. Once the camera receives the scene data, its powerful microcomputer and the database work together to provide the finest automatic exposure control available."

No doubt Canon and others provide equally sophisticated methods.

Certainly the photographers are smart enough too. I do think the photographers should be aware that automated exposure is like any other automated process. The humans who wrote the automation function specification, who designed and implemented the automation could not possibly cover 100% of the lighting situations encountered over the life of the camera.

Because automated exposure does enjoy a very high success rate, it is easy for the photographer (especially myself) to neglect their responsibility to think about the lighting when they are in situations where automated metering could be in error.

It appears the X100 is prone to produce artifacts from over-exposed point-source light. I hope I can adjust to this situation and over ride the automated exposure calculation as needed. After all, the reason I pre-ordered the X100 is because it is designed with manual operation in mind.

Back