X-Pan problems, who can fix it?

Kevcaster

Well-known
Local time
6:44 AM
Hello all, happy new year to you.
My X-Pan has failed. It started to play up some weeks ago, the first symptom was that it stopped mid roll and had to be re-wound using the re-wind button. Since then it has developed a squeaky noise as if gears are not engaging properly or the motor is running incorrectly. Last week it stopped altogether.
An approach to Hasselblad resulted in them advising that they no longer service or repair these cameras.
Who has advice or can recommend a repair person/shop located in the UK or Europe who may be able to help - I'm based near to London. I wish to persevere as I really like the X-Pan.
best, Kevin

Try Wilco Jansen at http://www.hasselblad-reparaties.nl, although if the transport motor is broken and the part is not available from Hasselblad there's probably not much he can do.

When I wanted my XPan (ver. I) bulb mode to be extended from 30s to 270s and have my very stiff on/off selector switch replaced I contacted Hasselblad UK ([email protected]). They said that on/off switches were probably not available anymore (on the other hand mr. Jansen said he can replace the on/off switch but couldn't extend the bulb time), but after they forwarded the camera to the main factory to have the bulb time extended the camera came back with a new on/off switch and bulb time extended. The people in local Hasselblad service departments obviously don't deal with a lot of XPan cameras these days so the first information might not be the correct one. Try as many repair services you can find that know about Hasselblad XPans.

I hope you will find a way to repair your camera.

I have sent it off to Les Victor in Paris for a quote. I chose them as they were the most responsive and positive about being able to help. I really appreciate all the suggestions, what a great forum this is.
Kevin

I have sent it off to Les Victor in Paris for a quote. I chose them as they were the most responsive and positive about being able to help. I really appreciate all the suggestions, what a great forum this is.
Kevin

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Fingers crossed!!! Good luck!

Kevin

Kevin

happy new year!

sounds like the motor gears. i was going to buy one last month which had this issue when i went to test the camera.

hasselblad gave me a number of respected repairers who are based in the uk. on speaking to them it would need to be replaced but parts are hard to come buy.

good luck.

I wanted to follow up on this thread and see if anyone had any recommendations for someone in the US that can just do a CLA on the lenses and XpanII bodies. I need to have mine serviced. Any recommendations stateside?

On a somewhat related note, I inquired to have my bulb time extended on my Xpan and Hasselblad told me to upgrade to a II as their computer system could no longer extend the bulb time. Very curious how BRBO got his extended.

http://www.lesvictor.com
I eventually sent it to Les Victor in Paris

I recommend these guys as they cleaned, serviced and repaired my broken X-Pan 1 in Jan 2018, took a week and cost Euro470. The drive motor was replaced with a new one and the camera is significantly quieter!
BTW Mine had only 2020 actuations at the time (not a lot for a camera with the name Hasselblad on the front) although I guess it sat in a drawer most of its life. It suffered the same paint loss as most of them but otherwise has the feel of very light usage, the lens is mint. I really love the format and hope that this camera produces many more great images.
This is a good result in my view, so many repairers replied with unconfident responses.

I'm glad that Les Victor could repair your Xpan in one week.

Enjoy your quiet Xpan.

I still have two Xpan and know now that when repairing needed, I can trust Les Victor in Paris.

Back